Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road noise from tyres, wheel/drive shaft bearings?

This interesting as I have noticed the same noise when driving on smooth roads on our recent trip abroad.
What tyres do you have on your Cali?
Continental 215/60 x 17 all weather as fitted by VW as OE.

In the 4th year I had my Tiguan I changed the front tyres. After that there was a noise from the front. I went back to the VW dealer who installed the tyres for investigation - no solution. So I made them change the front right tyre (which I believed the sound came from).

Tyre changed - no change.

I went to a different VW dealer (where I am now) and I was told that the front right wheel bearing was defective. Cost of replacement about EUR 300.00. I gave out stink about VW and let my anger go... so I got a good discount (even it was not really the VW dealers fault).

Wheel bearing changed, problem solved.

Why the first VW dealer didn't spot that I don't know (it was the VW dealer I bought the Tiguan from). Because of this I went to the VW dealer I am now and they looked after me quite well so far. So, of course I had to buy by California from them... :).

Regards,
Eberhard
Thanks for your story. Be sure I will be asking my dealer to check mine as I do have a strong suspicion that this is my problem.

All weather/winter tyres can be very noisy when they are getting worn, I bought a 2nd hand car a couple of years ago and suspected a noisy wheel bearing or two. Tried for further discount to no avail as he assured me it was the winter tyres. I soon after fitted new all weather tyres and the noise disappeared.
If you do change tyres I and others can recommend the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons, good performer and quiet imho.

All weather/winter tyres can be very noisy when they are getting worn, I bought a 2nd hand car a couple of years ago and suspected a noisy wheel bearing or two. Tried for further discount to no avail as he assured me it was the winter tyres. I soon after fitted new all weather tyres and the noise disappeared.
If you do change tyres I and others can recommend the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons, good performer and quiet imho.
Very interesting! Thanks for the advice - which tyres to change to was kind of the next chapter. I know there are plenty of views on that subject. MICHELIN Cross Climates as an alternative?

Very interesting! Thanks for the advice - which tyres to change to was kind of the next chapter. I know there are plenty of views on that subject. MICHELIN Cross Climates as an alternative?
I’ve had no problems with the Michelin Cross Climate, on for the last 13k Miles, or the Goodyear Vector, 2 sets over 45k Miles previously.

I’ve had no problems with the Michelin Cross Climate, on for the last 13k Miles, or the Goodyear Vector, 2 sets over 45k Miles previously.
Good to know, thanks.

I have Michelin Agilis on the fronts, replacing the original Bridgestones. The rear seemed to wear more quickly than the fronts so I moved the original fronts to the back. The Michelin’s were much better noisewise and also seemed to give a softer ride. We have had the van for 6 years, 39,000 miles so I can't complain.
I have just checked the rears and they need changing and I will be going for Michelin again.
Finally, on our old Cali, a T4 I heard a tump, tump, tump noise on the good quality French roads. I found that both rears had bulges in. Dangerous so I changed one using the spare. Went into a tyre place and was assured by the French mechanic that it was safe to drive home on the other tyre!!
Went elsewhere and got 2 replacements which got me home safely.
Incidently I could not hear the noise on poorer quality roads.

Thanks David for pointers and comments. I have a few miles to go before I can justify new tyres but all things being considered! Will be taking van to dealer in mid sept so will discuss with them then what they can suggest/offer.

We fitted a new set of Goodyear Vectors for our Norway trip a couple of years ago and found them very noisy compared to the Dunlop Sports.
I actually thought there was a problem with the gearbox but it disappeared as soon as the Dunlop's were back on.

Oh my word! Are Calis that sensitive to tyre choice? Thanks for tip though Brian.

This interesting as I have noticed the same noise when driving on smooth roads on our recent trip abroad.
What tyres do you have on your Cali?
So I have the same tyres. I wonder if it is the tyres, I have found them much noiser than the Hankooks on our last van. They also have a much higher recommended pressure than the other tyre size that could be fitted.

Well I swapped my rears to the front at the weekend.

The inside of the rears was pretty "saw tooth". The noise has transferred to the front but less intrusive. Tyres are quiet under acceleration, noisy when coasting / braking.

Yes I’ve noticed more noise when braking too.

So I have the same tyres. I wonder if it is the tyres, I have found them much noiser than the Hankooks on our last van. They also have a much higher recommended pressure than the other tyre size that could be fitted.
Certainly the pressures in my tyres are easily the highest I have had to use for any car I have owned. Must make for a harsher/firm ride.

Just checked my bearings today and can confirm they were all good and no play in them, tyres also had no visible wear or bulges so seems to just be road noise. Have noticed it coming and going so I think its purely down to road surface.

Just checked my bearings today and can confirm they were all good and no play in them, tyres also had no visible wear or bulges so seems to just be road noise. Have noticed it coming and going so I think its purely down to road surface.
I will try and keep an open mind - I hope it’s just the tyres

Interim report.
So the noise is a known issue to VW and it’s dealers acccording to Campercentrum in Amersfoort, Netherlands.
The problem is tyre wear. Uneven tyre wear between front and back tyres.
It’s the back tyres making the noise.
With the front tyres they are working at acceleration and braking and so the wear on the tread blocks is even whereas the back tyres only work under braking. This causes the tread blocks to wear unevenly. In my case the rear tread blocks are about 1mm shorter in height on the leading edge than the rear block edge and it is this differential that causes the drumming/thrumming noise.
How to solve it?
1. Fit new tyres as OEM specification.
2. Fit new tyres with more complex tread pattern (in other words smaller tread blocks)
3. Fit new tyres that are wider. In my case 235 instead of 215.
4. Change the front and rear tyres around and cross them over at the same time. i.e, Switch front near side with rear offside and front offside with rear near side. (This only OK if your tyres are able to rotate in opposite directions - check your tyre walls for detail information).
Non of the above are perfect solutions.
What is really strange to me is that Jan at CC told me that not all Cali drivers can hear this drumming noise but it is there. He also told me that the noise can be drowned out by differing road surfaces - depending on the on the gravel to substrate ratio and size of gravel and of course, your speed.
Anyway my Cali is booked into Birmingham Van Center on Tuesday so we shall see what happens. I suspect I will opt for option 4 but I will listen to what they have to say.
More to follow......

Well I swapped my rears to the front at the weekend.

The inside of the rears was pretty "saw tooth". The noise has transferred to the front but less intrusive. Tyres are quiet under acceleration, noisy when coasting / braking.
Tread block movement under differing load conditions.

I got a phonecall from Campercentrum to stop sending people over to them , seems it was a Brittisch invasion...:D

Interesting, mine only appeared after changing my front tyres, although I replaced like for like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a phonecall from Campercentrum to stop sending people over to them , seems it was a Brittisch invasion...:D
We met Matt and Vanessa on the forecourt!!
It’s our way of encouraging CC to set up in the UK!! ;)

So i've heard , hope you all spend some money so i can get my cheque in the mail?
:bananadance2

e0c75e92e5188bf2ef9cce8a29c18761.jpg

Haha indeed we did. Look at who we met at Camper centrum ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back