Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road noise from tyres, wheel/drive shaft bearings?

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I’ve done several search’s and drawn a blank.
I have a rhythmical thrumming noise that increases in loudness and frequency as I drive. The noise is most noticeable when the road surface is smooth ie when other road/background noise is suppressed. The noise seems to be present whether I drive in a straight line or go round corners. (More noticeable on right hand bends than left but the same loudness as when driving straight)
Tyre wear seems reasonable and even across the tyres, tyre pressures are OK, well the tyre inflation warning light is not on. I heard the noise before on some other vehicles and have even heard it is a trait of VW group as a whole!
The noise has been there since the van was new in feb 17 but more noticeable on a long road trip and can get a bit wearing as a result. Any ideas? All comments welcome.

Imperfection/bulge in the tyre?

Not thought of that! Will check in morning.

I’ve done several search’s and drawn a blank.
I have a rhythmical thrumming noise that increases in loudness and frequency as I drive. The noise is most noticeable when the road surface is smooth ie when other road/background noise is suppressed. The noise seems to be present whether I drive in a straight line or go round corners. (More noticeable on right hand bends than left but the same loudness as when driving straight)
Tyre wear seems reasonable and even across the tyres, tyre pressures are OK, well the tyre inflation warning light is not on. I heard the noise before on some other vehicles and have even heard it is a trait of VW group as a whole!
The noise has been there since the van was new in feb 17 but more noticeable on a long road trip and can get a bit wearing as a result. Any ideas? All comments welcome.
Be aware that the Tyre Pressure System on the California is not very accurate and a pressure variance of upto 5-10psi can occur before it alarms.

I had the same. Turned out to be uneven tyre wear. New tyres sorted the issue

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/
Did you discover what caused the uneven tyre wear? I have thought of this and had dismissed it as a problem as I have had the van since new and the noise was evident from day 1. It’s only now in the middle of a long road trip it is beginning to get on my nerves a bit.

Be aware that the Tyre Pressure System on the California is not very accurate and a pressure variance of upto 5-10psi can occur before it alarms.
Would I have not noticed uneven tyre wear over 14k miles if this was the issue? Even so I will check.

Would I have not noticed uneven tyre ware over 14k miles if this was the issue? Even so I will check.
Not necessarily if it was just a few psi out. I presume you have checked the tyre pressures since delivery?

Not necessarily if it was just a few psi out. I presume you have checked the tyre pressures since delivery?
Once by me end August last year and once by my dealer last month. I know it should be done more frequently........but when the warning systems are in place to tell you there is a problem......one becomes a little lazy even complacent:embarrased.

I have the same my rear tyres wore unevenly, even though they are good on tread they are noisy especially on corners.

Did you discover what caused the uneven tyre wear? I have thought of this and had dismissed it as a problem as I have had the van since new and the noise was evident from day 1. It’s only now in the middle of a long road trip it is beginning to get on my nerves a bit.

I’m not sure. I asserted it may have been due to alignment of rear wheels not being checked when the dealership changed suspension springs. Tyre pressure was ok. Dealer didn’t argue very hard.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Tyre wear is not always that obvious and visible. Try running your hand around the tread to check for feathering. Run your hand round in both directions. If the tread feels sharper in one direction, it is likely to be feathered and needs closer inspection. Usually it's more noticeable on the outer edge, but not always.. Feathering gives a sound just like a wheel bearing going.
If you suspect a particular tyre put the spare on and see if the sound goes away or improves (providing the spare is ok).

I also had the rear tracking done at around 18k and the OSR was toeing out to much.

I’ve had similar. Turned out to be deformed tyres! Bizarre I know as there was no vibration, just noise.

Try jacking the van and spinning the wheels, you may be able to see the runout.

Caused by left standing over winter I believe.

Tyre wear is not always that obvious and visible. Try running your hand around the tread to check for feathering. Run your hand round in both directions. If the tread feels sharper in one direction, it is likely to be feathered and needs closer inspection. Usually it's more noticeable on the outer edge, but not always.. Feathering gives a sound just like a wheel bearing going.
If you suspect a particular tyre put the spare on and see if the sound goes away or improves (providing the spare is ok).
The spare is new so I will give that idea a try. Thanks for tip.

I’ve had similar. Turned out to be deformed tyres! Bizarre I know as there was no vibration, just noise.

Try jacking the van and spinning the wheels, you may be able to see the runout.

Caused by left standing over winter I believe.
Had discounted this as the problem as Cali used as daily driver, but will check. Thanks.

I also had the rear tracking done at around 18k and the OSR was toeing out to much.
Thanks. Another area to check. I’m going to be busy when I get back!!

Wow, lots of tips. Thanks to all of you. Will let you know the outcome but won’t be until Sep/Oct.

Note to self! I can almost feel the birch being readied! :Nailbiting
This interesting as I have noticed the same noise when driving on smooth roads on our recent trip abroad.
What tyres do you have on your Cali?

I had the same problem from new November 2017. New winter tyres that made noise at 110 kph. Changed to summer tyres in May. No noise at any speed. I reported it and was told that its the nature of winter tyres. Its a real pain though.

In the 4th year I had my Tiguan I changed the front tyres. After that there was a noise from the front. I went back to the VW dealer who installed the tyres for investigation - no solution. So I made them change the front right tyre (which I believed the sound came from).

Tyre changed - no change.

I went to a different VW dealer (where I am now) and I was told that the front right wheel bearing was defective. Cost of replacement about EUR 300.00. I gave out stink about VW and let my anger go... so I got a good discount (even it was not really the VW dealers fault).

Wheel bearing changed, problem solved.

Why the first VW dealer didn't spot that I don't know (it was the VW dealer I bought the Tiguan from). Because of this I went to the VW dealer I am now and they looked after me quite well so far. So, of course I had to buy by California from them... :).

Regards,
Eberhard

Back