Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low Power from 12v Sockets

J

jimbossa

I've had my Cali about 6 months from new. We've been on a few trips and everything great, but a problem I have had is the 12v sockets don't seem to have much power output. When I plug in our (admittedly power-hungry) smartphones, they hardly charge at all. In fact I have to turn them off to get any extra juice into them, and then it still takes hours. I'm using a standard lighter-socket to USB converter that works fine in my car socket. The problem seems to be the same with the 12v on the end of the kitchen unit and the one on top of the dash.

Is this a known problem? Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need use a particular converter? Any advice or thoughts would be very welcome!

I've had a similar problem with my Griffin connector with 2 USB slots. Charges fine with one Samsung or iPhone plugged into it but if I try to charge both simultaneously the phones just seem to get hot and don't charge very quick.

I understand that it is not ideal to charge your phone from a Cigarette lighter/USB regularly as the voltage and current is not set up precisely like the OEM charger for the phone's battery.

Be interest like jimbossa if anyone has a similar experience, especially if multiple phones in the socket.

I always charge lap tops and pads from the inverter plug when not on hook up, bought a plug off eBay and then plug chargers into that , so no experience's with the 12 v plug. The only things I have pluged into the 12 v plug is my sat nav in the front and a portable dvd player which came with a 12 v plug.

There is a good chance the problem is with the 12v to usb converter you are using. Check the output on the label. 500mA is not normally enough, you would most probably need a 1000mA or even 2000mA.

Can only speak for the iPhone and iPad.
The normal 12v cigarette lighter USB plug only puts out 500 milliamperes, wheras the iPhone needs double that.

Source Voltage Current Power
PC USB 5 volts 0.5 amps 2.5 Watts
iPhone Charger 5 volts 1.0 amps 5 Watts
iPad Charger 5.1 volts 2.1 amps 12 watts

You can get 12v plugs that can give upto 3.1 amps via 2 sockets so you can charge 2 iPhones or 1 phone and 1 iPad at a time. I have no problems at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-...773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2341ef669d

I always charge lap tops and pads from the inverter plug when not on hook up, bought a plug off eBay and then plug chargers into that , so no experience's with the 12 v plug. The only things I have pluged into the 12 v plug is my sat nav in the front and a portable dvd player which came with a 12 v plug.

Sadly I've got 2006 Cali which does not have an inverter, think they were fitted from around 2008?

Can only speak for the iPhone and iPad.
The normal 12v cigarette lighter USB plug only puts out 500 milliamperes, wheras the iPhone needs double that.

I should have known this - quick check of the chargers would have give a clue.:talktothehand Thanks!:thumb

Thanks for all the advice. Had a look at the USB adaptor and its output is 5V, 850mA. That mustn't be enough to charge my phone (Samsung S3). I thought it worked OK in the car, but maybe I didn't notice the issue on short car journeys, but now do on long weekends away in the Cali when we need to recharge.

I'll order the higher amps adaptor suggested (thanks for the link!) and see if that does the trick.

Back