Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making a T6 Glass worktop after shattering experience - Help with Dimensions Please.

P

Peter tflynn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi All

My T6 (2017) California Sink/Cooker Glass countertop shattered last week.

VW cost to replace is too high for me and I think I can get this made in a local Glass company (Toughened).

I have the rear hinge slot and the front slot with the opening handle and have cleared out a lot of glass but I don't have dimensions for the panel itself or the position of the hole centre for the gas strut to the right hand side.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before or have a drawing or measurements for a complete glass unit in their T6 van? (the one where the glass covers the sink and hob area).

Appreciate if you had dimensions.

Thanks

Peter

IMG_4116.JPG

Surely, it is a smev unit with a realistic spare part price, have a look underneath for a label with a part number

There's a smev cooker lid £80 on ebay

no label as glass was cleared and dumped. Thanks for suggestion and looked at Smev cooker lids on ebay but they do not seem to be this type. picture of unit before breaking belowBirdhill 6.jpg

Take the van to a local glass place, they will measure for you…and will most likely make an unbreakable one at a fraction of the price of a VW one.

Last edited:
Hi All

VW cost to replace is too high for me and I think I can get this made in a local Glass company (Toughened).

I have the rear hinge slot and the front slot with the opening handle and have cleared out a lot of glass but I don't have dimensions for the panel itself or the position of the hole centre for the gas strut to the right hand side.

I was wondering if someone might have done this before or have a drawing or measurements for a complete glass unit in their T6 van? (the one where the glass covers the sink and hob area).

Thanks

Peter

View attachment 126838
From German Cali forum. - Dimensions for spilt top, but this should help

I am a member, so i am not sure if this link will just work, but try, you might have to register.

I don't want to upload contents that isn't mine, so link only i am afraid.

Hi All

Thanks

Peter

View attachment 126838
I

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2253.jpeg

I bought some 4mm thick aluminium for about £30 and cut it to shape then fixed to frame with aluminium putty (from Amazon). I’m very pleased with result. Unfortunately, I don’t have measurements but you can frame without glass and measure from there. It doesn’t need to be exact because it fits into a groove on front and back frame and the putty will pad out any shortfall. After mine shattered I wouldn’t trust glass for a worktop and the aluminium looks good. You might want to use a lacquer to stop it oxidising but I didn’t bother.

Back