motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
This could be contentious ....

It’s a good job we are all VW Camper fans! :)

He hated it so much he checked into a hotel. Lol.

So the verdict was avoid. From someone who prefers hotels to camping!

In other pointless news, the new mini is no good as a builders van!

The Cali is not just about camping in. It’s a support vehicle for walkers, cyclists, paddle boarders, kayaks etc. Or just for going out and having a picnic somewhere with a nice view. And it’s not expensive in comparison with many of the SUV alternatives that many would buy to go with these activities.

I do like Matt Watson but I don’t think he gets what the California is about.

I do like Matt Watson but I don’t think he gets what the California is about.

He’ll be back in 5 years eating his words... there’s a certain point in life when you realise that the Cali is more than the sum of its parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One man's opinion - so what. Would be terrible if we all liked the same thing. He should speak to GJ then getting an understanding of the practicality.

That guy does not need to come close to my Cali , the way he does it all wrong ....
A complete insaitible that man is imo.
Typical way of giving the wrong impression ....

Its a fair enough comment at the end there. I think there are people who are able to buy one without worrying too much about the financial burden that fall into his way of thinking. However for a lot of people it takes a considerable amount of thinking before making the decision and they will have already ruled out the possibility of falling out of love too quickly.

who the hell is he anyway?

I've never heard of him...

what does he know....

another pointless review from a pointless person
He is quite well known and respected on YouTube, but obviously he doesn't have a complete grasp of our niche!

Its a fair enough comment at the end there. I think there are people who are able to buy one without worrying too much about the financial burden that fall into his way of thinking. However for a lot of people it takes a considerable amount of thinking before making the decision and they will have already ruled out the possibility of falling out of love too quickly.

Eh? I’m not sure that makes sense. For me the financial decision was minor, but the emotional love of my van is priceless.

Hmmmm……

I suppose he has made some fair points. Let's face, it the standard bed is really uncomfortable and the 'optional extras' are stupidly expensive. A whole industry is geared to manufacturing and selling those little extras and improvements we all like.

But! if we chuck all his negativity in the bin, we are left with probably one of the most versatile, spontaneous and 'go anywhere' campervan systems ever devised.

Good things often come in small packages.

It is P ing with rain here so off in my tent for the night.

Funny, he failed to mention any of his issues when he last reviewed one....

I'd love to see him testing an old VW Split camper
don't think he'd even make the campsite b4 giving up and find a hotel!

Does anybody even think he planned to stay overnight in it?

First time I've seen the guy, but I did find it an engaging 5 minutes. Probably better than I could do say on the merits of a Jaguar XF 2.0D (if such a model exists).

What really did impress me was the way he slammed, pulled, pushed on the doors, sliding window and seemingly every bit of trim, and that nothing fell off. A bit like the wife and kids did when we first got our van :(.

VW should definitely employ him in any product pre-release ruggedness testing.

Eh? I’m not sure that makes sense. For me the financial decision was minor, but the emotional love of my van is priceless.

Well let me put it this way...

Person 1
I have £50 notes falling out of my back pocket as loose change, I know, I'll buy another toy these VW's seem popular.
Person 1 After 5 minutes of ownership
This is crap, wheres the en-suite and why the hell isn't there enough room on this bed for the two of us...I think I'll stick to my 5 star hotels and waiter service.
Person 2 (thats me and a lot of us here I'm sure)
Wouldn't a California be nice? ...if only I could justify one (thinking aloud as I buy unbranded breakfast cereals to make sure I don't over stress about the heating bills this winter).
Person 2 after 5 minutes ownership
I can't believe I have actually managed to get my hands on this beauty. It's taken a lot of thought and a lot of money now its up to me to make good use of it..you know what I don't care if it doesn't have a loo or that it's a bit cold out in the winter months I'm gonna make it fun.

You @GregW sound as if you are a bit more fortunate than person 2 and there is no rule that says if its an easier purchase financially that you wont love it. But it does follow that if its been more of a struggle you'll be more determined to.

Back