Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping ventilation

Chew

Chew

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand VW T5 California Ocean but would like some feedback on ventilation.

I follow a few Van dwellers (not VW California's) on Youtube who stress how important it is to have good ventilation especially when sleeping. Many of them seem to have fans installed in the roof of their conversions to allow good air flow. How does the VW Cali address this? Does is have a fan?
I'm assuming the pop-top provides good venting but bear in mind that I will be sleeping stealthy in the van a lot so without the roof up.

Thanks!

The poptop has decent vents in it and does let some air flow through. There is no fan or roof vent I'm afraid. The roof up is the best means of ventilation other than opening windows.

Perhaps some dubflectas or similar would allow you to have the window open slightly without it being visible and without any means for people to get in?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand VW T5 California Ocean but would like some feedback on ventilation.

I follow a few Van dwellers (not VW California's) on Youtube who stress how important it is to have good ventilation especially when sleeping. Many of them seem to have fans installed in the roof of their conversions to allow good air flow. How does the VW Cali address this? Does is have a fan?
I'm assuming the pop-top provides good venting but bear in mind that I will be sleeping stealthy in the van a lot so without the roof up.

Thanks!
No, it doesn't.
There are vents sewn into the canvas of the roof, but when not elevated then there are no " camping" vents.
I would suggest reading this thread, especially the last post.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/side-window-vents.10938/

I like "Fresh Air" and always have the drivers window down a little when sleeping. With have VW wind deflectors to which prevents the wind and rain coming in.

I would suggest to take one with a second sliding window in the sliding door and the third window in the roof for good ventilation. Might be difficult to find this combination in a used Cali.
Frank

Hi,

Thanks!
Not much ventilation if roof closed, we’ve slept sealed many times without problems but best to just crack open windows (still fairly secure).

Hi,

Thanks!

The 6.1 California has a ‘ventilate’ mode on the heating controls (heat immediately menu). This blows outside air through the dashboard vents. We used this one night at the peak of this year’s French heatwave. Lots of other ‘keeping cool’ tips are on this forum. See video link for how to set ‘ventilate’ mode:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk