Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress question

TimR

TimR

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,
Im due to collect my nearly new Cali in a couple of weeks time and have been reading up on mattresses. The photo is from the dealer so looks like no option currently. I have a selection of summer and winter sleeping bags so was intending on using them rather than buy new bedding. What I'm interested in is what topper to get. VW have the comfort mattress, then there is Zonesleep. Brandrup do one, Comfortz Leisure... Didn't want to spend a lot but like the idea of it folding up on the parcel shelf.
Anyone care to share their views?
Thanks

808.jpg

The rear frame seems to be covered by a short mattress so the VW Comfort mattress is out, unless you want to get rid of the short one you have already as the Comfort mattress is made of 3 sections with the rearmost section being thicker to make up the difference in height between the rear board and seat when in bed mode.

Duvalay topper folds up on parcel shelf. Shaped to fit downstairs bed.

If you've already got a thermarest sleeping mat, that will work well and not cost anything.

Does nobody use a self inflating camping mattress ? Are they no good in a Cali ? We want to upgrade from a tent to a Cali, but it seems a bit mad to spend so much on a van with 2 uncomfortable mattresses, and then have to buy more mattresses !

Does nobody use a self inflating camping mattress ? Are they no good in a Cali ? We want to upgrade from a tent to a Cali, but it seems a bit mad to spend so much on a van with 2 uncomfortable mattresses, and then have to buy more mattresses !

We have moved from tent to Cali and we find the standard mattress fine, recently 10 weeks of great sleeps, we sleep upstairs with sleeping bags.

Does nobody use a self inflating camping mattress ? Are they no good in a Cali ? !
I think GrannyJen does. She'll be along to confirm.

I found the top standard mattress and slatted base just fine.

I tried a self-inflating mattress, then I went the whole hog and now use an air bed.

I also have the VW comfort mattress but using an airbed allows me to have the rear board on the higher level this giving me more wine-storage space. It also takes up less room when deflated. Downside is that it takes up more room when inflated, especially height, but then that doesn't bother me when I'm asleep.

Thanks folks. I do have a couple of thermarests which I will try out. Suppose it would be nice to have something cover the whole area like the zonesleep which looks nice and slim for packing. Or maybe i'll find the back seats aren't that bad on their own after all - i've camped in some fairly rough situations!

Thanks folks. I do have a couple of thermarests which I will try out. Suppose it would be nice to have something cover the whole area like the zonesleep which looks nice and slim for packing. Or maybe i'll find the back seats aren't that bad on their own after all - i've camped in some fairly rough situations!

I've camped in most mountain ranges of the world, often without a sleeping mat, but the Cali lower bed makes a Kathmandhu campsite feel like a five star hotel :shocked

From our experience, a cheap topper from Argos or whatever, on top of what is shown in your picture (cut to size) is more comfortable than VW's own "comfort mattress".

Unfortunately we now have said "comfort mattress" and it takes up too much room when folded to allow us to take our old cheap cut down topper along as well.

Mrstee that's what l meant by ' thermarests' in my post above :)

Mrstee that's what l meant by ' thermarests' in my post above :)

Was thinking the same , but guess " thermarest" is a brand , " inflating camping matrass" not....;)

Anyway , ours came with the thicker VW comfort matrass for downstaires , used it few times is is pretty good . But the major down side is that half of the space on top of the rear shelf is filled with a matrass we rarly use as we sleep upstaires most times ( just two of us) .So the downstaires matrass stayes home and if we do sleep downstaires due to very bad weather or so we just use some fleeces trow them on top of the shelf and we are heads to the front so using the seat most part ....using sleeping bags.
Upstairs we got the original VW matrass and use sleeping bags.
If i know spending just few days in the Cali say in wintertime and pretty much sure we gonne sleep downstaires i take the thicker VW matrass along.
I load my Cali in order of the trip ...think there's a lot of stuff you don't have to carry all the time....just pick it out , throw it in before heading off....

We have the Comfortz mattress that folds into 3 and folds easily with the vw one onto the back shelf. This is a luxury experience, not just camping, embrace it!! :D

Is the VW Comfort Mattress memory foam? Never got on well with that stuff in summer!

Does anyone know of a thin topper which can be used with the rear shelf in the top position, so just on top of the wire frame. In a similar fashion to Jen's airbed style but that can fold onto the rear shelf. Tough ask suppose.

Does anyone know of a thin topper which can be used with the rear shelf in the top position, so just on top of the wire frame. In a similar fashion to Jen's airbed style but that can fold onto the rear shelf. Tough ask suppose.
Look at the brandrup brochure they do a thin mattress.

We use what is called a brandrup i-xtend folding bed, which are three sections of mattress, all equal thickness which fold-up in a Z fashion, then fold neatly behind the back seat. These sit on the standard cushion on the Wire frame, this enables you to have the Wire frame at the top position , allowing the all important storage of wine bottles underneath.

I think if you specify the comfort mattress which has a thicker rear section, the Wire frame has to be in the lower position hence losing valuable storage space underneath the bed.

We found Brandrup firm but very comfortable, it's incredibly quick and easy to use especially with a fitted sheet definitely going to order one for our T6,not cheap at £220 approx, but worth every penny for ease of use and a goog nights sleep

Last edited:
Yes, Comfortz do one. We have one with a topper and works great. Best thing is it allows use on the rear shelf in the top position, so maximising storage space.

Back