Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Medium Wave Radio

W

williamd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Can’t find MW on my radio, discover nav pro unit. Am I losing it or does the 2021 Cali not have medium wave????

Can’t find MW on my radio, discover nav pro unit. Am I losing it or does the 2021 Cali not have medium wave????
I think it’s just DAB and FM.

Is it still useful to have this?
It is even predicted that FM will disappear soon. Norway has already done so since December 2020.

Is it still useful to have this?
It is even predicted that FM will disappear soon. Norway has already done so since December 2020.
There are many areas in Scotland where there is no DAB coverage, poor/no FM coverage, zero 3g (never mind 4g/5g) coverage. What do they save by not keeping MW? It’s stupid.

There are many areas in Scotland where there is no DAB coverage, poor/no FM coverage, zero 3g (never mind 4g/5g) coverage. What do they save by not keeping MW? It’s stupid.
Yes, just experienced no coverage in the Western Isles. Tolerable for a tourist but what about the locals!

I use MW all the time driving up the west coast (909/693 & 810) where there are loads of dead spots on FM.

Probably more reliable to use internet radio via tunein than FM in some areas.

I use MW all the time driving up the west coast (909/693 & 810) where there are loads of dead spots on FM.

Can't use internet radio without a phone signal. Most of the places without a phone signal will have zero DAB/FM. Just an unbelievable omission really, I mean a MW tuner must be buttons!

Can't use internet radio without a phone signal. Most of the places without a phone signal will have zero DAB/FM. Just an unbelievable omission really, I mean a MW tuner must be buttons!
Different signals but I appreciate that most places without one won't have the other. At least with internet if it's cutting in and out you can use a buffer to smooth things out (e.g listen with a 60 second delay). I hate the way DAB cuts in and out though. Can always listen to podcasts...

Different signals but I appreciate that most places without one won't have the other. At least with internet if it's cutting in and out you can use a buffer to smooth things out (e.g listen with a 60 second delay). I hate the way DAB cuts in and out though. Can always listen to podcasts...
Won't work if you're miles from a signal, and I would really only need it for live sport, helps when driving.

I received my Cali yesterday. It most certainly DOES have an AM radio in it (I have Discover Media regular - not Pro). Weird that it isn't listed on the spec sheet but it is there. See screenshot (Language is Czech on the screenshot but it's in the same location in English).

Screenshot_2021-11-13_at_20_53_57.png

As detailed in the link, many roads in Scotland don't have FM or DAB, even in some major towns in the west coast FM is not great indoors and Radio Scotland is not on DAB. We use internet streaming.
I found ( on EE network) that 4G on the road network improving vastly with the ESN roll out by the government and EE network has that contract. This is a streaming option we have used.
Opinion: The Future of AM Radio - Frequency Finderhttp://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk › Opinion_AM

Back