Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes garage or the dealer?

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello , we have a Mercedes Grand Canyon and have some teething issues which the dealer is going to sort out (dealer is about 80 miles away). One issue is the electric sliding door which has an intermittent fault (sometimes we can't open it, sometimes can't close it). Dealer has suggested we take to our nearest Mercedes dealer to sort this.
Does doing this make any difference to the warranty? I don't suppose it does (thinking out loud) but does it?

Your dealer should book the van in with the Mercedes dealer then they can invoice him directly. Work will be zero fee if covered under warranty, but at least then you have a paper trail / explanation if you should ever sell the van.

Hello , we have a Mercedes Grand Canyon and have some teething issues which the dealer is going to sort out (dealer is about 80 miles away). One issue is the electric sliding door which has an intermittent fault (sometimes we can't open it, sometimes can't close it). Dealer has suggested we take to our nearest Mercedes dealer to sort this.
Does doing this make any difference to the warranty? I don't suppose it does (thinking out loud) but does it?
Sounds like poor service from your supplier, guess that’s the attraction of VW a one stop shop. You will need a merc commercial service centre. If that’s 80 miles away that’s why they are asking you to deal with it.

You’re possibly get better advice from a Hymer forum

It is still under warranty (less than a year old).

I can't find any good Hymer forums :(

Thanks Jester but they it appears to be a USA forum according to members listing.

Sorry just had a quick look on the move

I can't find any good Hymer forums :(

Electric sliding door is a platform issue so take it to a Mercedes dealer and have it fixed under warranty.You may have to go through the "Watch my lips" ordeal, which I have had recently, and repeat a thousand times "It is a camper van, not a motorhome, read my lips, a van, a Mercedes van, converted into a camper, but a van, your van, Mercedes van, a van ......"

There is a Facebook group for hymercars.

Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1999760263647779

Which hymer dealer supplied the van?
Don't really want to say at the moment as we are having "issues" with manager re something else. Will tell if situation isn't remedied.

Electric sliding door is a platform issue so take it to a Mercedes dealer and have it fixed under warranty.You may have to go through the "Watch my lips" ordeal, which I have had recently, and repeat a thousand times "It is a camper van, not a motorhome, read my lips, a van, a Mercedes van, converted into a camper, but a van, your van, Mercedes van, a van ......"

There is a Facebook group for hymercars.

Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1999760263647779
Are you sure Jen, asking for a friend :cool:

Are you sure Jen, asking for a friend :cool:

Fairly sure. Hymer only strip and fit, and a lovely job they make of it as well, so anything that was ordered as a platform item is down to supplier. I must admit, given they are only a fraction of the platforms that Hymer use there are an awful lot of questions being asked about the Mercedes.

I have a "too sensitive" sensor for my Ducato barn doors,possibly due to all what Hymer hang off them, and it meant that every time I turned the ignition on a light would glow and I had to leap out and open and close the doors again. However it's definitely a FIAT problem and sure enough, Tony of Fix It Again fame was happy to oblige.

Same all over though, depends on the dealer. First one I rung said "we don't touch motorhomes".... "it's a camper van, not a motorhome"...."is there a difference?"....."yes, it's a Van conversion, a FIAT van conversion, not something built on a supplied cab and chassis, a Van, a Fiat van, Fiat -- the people you are main agents for,"......then I gave up and found one in Portsmouth that couldn't be more helpful.

Back