Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has a new Cali become just too expensive?

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Whether you can afford it or not was not part of the question.
Is it not implicit when asking the question if something is too expensive?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Many buyers of new vehicles aren’t concerned about the capital cost of a new vehicle, just;
What deposit is required? Normally about 5% or less.
Monthly repayments.

On a PCP you pay the deposit, and the monthly repayments, over 36 months.
At the end of the 3 yr PCP contract you can hand the vehicle back at no cost, provided you haven’t exceeded the contracted milage and there is no damage otherwise there is an additional payment.
Or, you make a “ Balloon Payment “ to purchase the vehicle outright. This payment can be around 50% or so of the purchase price.
Yes they are very expensive but for me it’s a lifestyle purchase and I hope to get at least 10 years of adventures out of it. Not even thinking of future value, probably give it to my kids rather than sell it :)

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
No of course not. There are many things in life that are affordable and many that are not. However just because one can afford something doesn't make it value for money. My question was:
HAS A NEW CALI BECOME JUST TOO EXPENSIVE?
Maybe my question is open to misinterpretation but my aim was to elicit member's views on the cost of a new Cali rather than to ascertain whether people could afford one or not. Someone might not be able to to afford to buy one but may consider it to be a fair price for what it is. On the other hand you might be in the fortunate position to be able to pay cash but think that they aren't good value any more.

Last edited:
pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Not really. I suppose we each put a value on items. I think Spotify is too expensive but would have no concern spending £6k on a bicycle. Another one to add to the collection.

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
[
I feel I am more likely to hold on to our T6 until replacement due to ongoing cost forces my need to replace it - the issue is the longer I leave it the closer to the demise of the combustion engine is. I can afford to replace it now but as my current van is fully functioning and meets our needs why payout now. Our T6 remains fit for purpose.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Like the majority of new vehicles, new Californias are ridiculously overpriced these days
But if VW aren’t allowed to make a profit then you wouldn’t be able to buy such a high quality product as the Cali.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Like the majority of new vehicles, new Californias are ridiculously overpriced these days
The year I was born (ahem... 1959 :eek:) the Mini was launched, starting price £497. That was just over a year's average salary at that time. Today, a BMW Mini starts at £15,544 which is about 7 months' average salary.

When compared to other things you could buy, a 2020 Mini (£15,544) is admittedly one-third more expensive than that 1959 Mini would be at current CPI prices (about £11,600). But it's easily more than a third more complex than the Issigonis Mini and hardly a comparable product functionally.

So no, I wouldn't agree than vehicles generally are overpriced, versus other things and certainly not on affordability. However it would be interesting to compare the price of a VW/Westy 'Camping Box' van in the 1950s or 60s against a typical family car in the same period. Anyone have any price figures for the early Westies?

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
If you have to ask the price then you can’t afford it :pinkbanana

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
The year I was born (ahem... 1959 :eek:) the Mini was launched, starting price £497. That was just over a year's average salary at that time. Today, a BMW Mini starts at £15,544 which is about 7 months' average salary.

When compared to other things you could buy, a 2020 Mini (£15,544) is admittedly one-third more expensive than that 1959 Mini would be at current CPI prices (about £11,600). But it's easily more than a third more complex than the Issigonis Mini and hardly a comparable product functionally.

So no, I wouldn't agree than vehicles generally are overpriced, versus other things and certainly not on affordability. However it would be interesting to compare the price of a VW/Westy 'Camping Box' van in the 1950s or 60s against a typical family car in the same period. Anyone have any price figures for the early Westies?
£915 in 1962 when I was still a twinkle.1600888141608.png

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
No of course not. There are many things in life that are affordable and many that are not. However just because one can afford something doesn't make it value for money. My question was:
Maybe my question is open to misinterpretation but my aim was to elicit member's views on the cost of a new Cali rather than to ascertain whether people could afford one or not. Someone might not be able to to afford to buy one but may consider it to be a fair price for what it is. On the other hand you might be in the fortunate position to be able to pay cash but think that they aren't good value any more.
I have to say I can’t workout if they are good value anymore. I suppose I don’t begrudge what I paid for ours because we’ve had so much fun with it but I won’t know what the residuals are till I sell it. The new price being high can’t do you and I any harm when we do come to sell though!

calibusje

calibusje

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
well, it is in any case a question that brought a lot of enthusiasm and I have given my answer, completely my own opinion but each his idea about it. Have you read it?
My answer in summary: not everyone buys a fully packed california and then a new T6.1 coast is even cheaper than a second hand T6, so - for me anyway - a new one is not too expensive. By the way, was the T5, T5.1 and T6 not expensive in their time? Just look at how much a mulitvan costs and then compare with the price when he has become a camper. They are almost by hand transformed from van to campervan in the california hall and this is costly. But as said: each has his/her own opinion about it.
There could be one more question: is the second-hand California overpriced?

Greetings and hope to see a lot off you at a meet or something

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
I have to say I can’t workout if they are good value anymore. I suppose I don’t begrudge what I paid for ours because we’ve had so much fun with it but I won’t know what the residuals are till I sell it. The new price being high can’t do you and I any harm when we do come to sell though!
Re resale, that all depends on how many people are trying to unload them and how many people are looking to buy and the state of the economy in these uncertain times but if your in it for the long run 5 years plus it should pan out.

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I miss my old T4 Bilbo!...Ok it wasn't as fast or cool (aircon wise) as my T5.1 but it did have character, very easy to fix, internal furniture survived the test of time, fully insulated & and had no rust on its +20 year old 100% waterproof elevating roof.

Still find it strange that you need to cart a substantial separate mattress around in current Cali's in order to get a good nights sleep downstairs.

But despite the above still love my T5.1!
We had a T5 Bilbo’s. You are right about them BUT the roof doesn’t give as much space as a Cali, plus the Bilbo roof bed is not a bed, and it’s tiny. No regrets at all getting a Cali instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Could the fact that a majority of new vehicles nowadays are on PCP or similar?
Agreed and most advertising for new cars show the “monthly cost“ rather than the actual cost.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
£915 in 1962 when I was still a twinkle.
Excellent! Thanks.

So... a decent VW-based campervan was roughly 1.8 times the price of a Mini in the early sixties. Today, a base level Coast is £55,339, which is 3.5 times the price of a modern edition Mini.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Excellent! Thanks.

So... a decent VW-based campervan was roughly 1.8 times the price of a Mini in the early sixties. Today, a base level Coast is £55,339, which is 3.5 times the price of a modern edition Mini.
From your analysis, people are paid too much today and the Cali got too expensive anyway!

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Interesting opinions on fully loaded versus min spec.
Previous experience looking for a decent Porsche, loads of base spec PCP fodder around but very few with all the right kit.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Interesting opinions on fully loaded versus min spec.
Previous experience looking for a decent Porsche, loads of base spec PCP fodder around but very few with all the right kit.
But then there’s the right kit and to much.
With Porsche, there are a lot of options wasted on a road going car that never sees the track.
Similar with the California. There’s a lot of options which aren’t really required.
Actually, I think a Poverty spec coast is probably the way to go for 90% of campers...

Bellcrew

Bellcrew

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
£915 in 62 would be about £13700 now according to an online calculator.
Inflation is a curious thing, local houses bought for £2100 new in1962 are worth over £900,000 today, the iron law of supply and demand is the key.
If a company could ignore patents/copyrights to undercut the existing manufacturers they would go for it if allowed. The likelihood of a cheap Chinese copy of the Cali can never be completely discounted but the power of the EU is such that it could never be sold here, who knows perhaps after December they will appear in the UK along side the dodgy copies of Eberspacher's etc?

VW California Club