Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The beach gets company from Mercedes.

I love VWs ... but it is good that there is a bit of competition. I note that the roof at least is Westfalia branded. As a product it is not to Beach standard. I do like the fact that there are two sliding doors, that should at least be an option on the Beach (VW have a bit lazy to my mind). Does not seem available in the UK mind....

I had seen it - they also have the Marc Polo for the full fat Cali - complete with electric seat/bed.

James

Re: The beach gets company from Mercedes.q

James said:
I had seen it - they also have the Marc Polo for the full fat Cali - complete with electric seat/bed.

James

James I knew about the westfalia Marco polo and for me Its not a patch on the Cali SE.
But When i read that Mercedes have made a beach copy it made me think about when i first "got it" or if you like had My eureaka moment with the VW Beach. I dont think that many people know about it at all and clearly Mercedes see a market for this type of vehicle.
I love our Beach as it can do so many things so well with only a little extra cost which im sure we beach owners Will get back when we sell it.
Reading about another manufacture making one also makes me think that VW Will continue to develope the Beach further.

//Mart

Re: The beach gets company from Mercedes.q

Mollen said:
James said:

James

James I knew about the westfalia Marco polo and for me Its not a patch on the Cali SE.
But When i read that Mercedes have made a beach copy it made me think about when i first "got it" or if you like had My eureaka moment with the VW Beach. I dont think that many people know about it at all and clearly Mercedes see a market for this type of vehicle.
I love our Beach as it can do so many things so well with only a little extra cost which im sure we beach owners Will get back when we sell it.
Reading about another manufacture making one also makes me think that VW Will continue to develope the Beach further.

//Mart

There's a big market in Europe because more people camp and travel. I don't think it has a pop top - I couldn't see one.

You can in theory take a Caravelle and use it as a camper, just flatten the seats. They have called it the 'Fun' as well, which would be enough to put me enough lol

I think the Beach is almost certain to continue, it's an evolution of the Westy Multivans that VW has sold since the the 1980's. Also, the Beach is a Multivan Startline with a poptop so it's not such a complicated vehicle to produce as it does deviate much what VW sells.

James

Hi again,

Nice info James, I have just looked up the Westy multivan and as you rightly say it's like a Beach. Here's me giving credit to VW, Westfalia even came up with the name "Multivan".
According to everyone at work I am unique in finding out all sorts of info about something I'm buying or doing but I can inform them that I am not, you are full of QI info.

Thanks.

PS,
I must admit I like the overhead cupboard and the side wardrobe in the Westfalia.

//Mart

Mollen said:
Hi again,

Nice info James, I have just looked up the Westy multivan and as you rightly say it's like a Beach. Here's me giving credit to VW, Westfalia even came up with the name "Multivan".
According to everyone at work I am unique in finding out all sorts of info about something I'm buying or doing but I can inform them that I am not, you are full of QI info.

Thanks.

PS,
I must admit I like the overhead cupboard and the side wardrobe in the Westfalia.

//Mart

The Multivan history is very interesting, I had a T25 American Multivan and T25 multivans never made it to the UK. They never really took off in the UK - the T4's came to the UK but they sold in tiny numbers, although they are very well appreciated by a small band of VW Dubbers,

There were versions with a pop top as well.

UK Buyers couldn't seem to get over the word 'van' in the name. Caravelles sold well but not the Multivan, which was strnage with the T4 because the Multivan is a far superior and more practical vehicle than the T4 Caravelle.

When it came to the T5, not only did the partnership with Westy end but UK buyers would get Multivans but they would be called Caravelle, in Europe the Caravelle is the same as a UK Shuttle.

That's really how the Beach has come about, it's evolution, the Multivan range in Europe is very distinctive and although it has trim levels within in that each Multivan has a slightly different purpose.

Don't worry - I am the same when it comes to info lol. I also love Multivans, which is probably wrong but they are amazing vehicles.

James

The Viano Fun has been out for years, it's not something new: actually it was on the list way before VW introduced the Beach, even if the Beach itself it's nothing different from the old T4 Multivan with the elevating roof.

We hired a Marco Polo a few years ago in Germany which we took round Sweden. It got me into the whole campervan thing really. They are great inside and they feel really well made. It's just personal preference in the end but I think we would have got a marco polo if they were available in the UK. Our hire one had a diesel V6 which was fantastic and the dark material and full leather in the cab felt a bit more special.

Having said that our Cali is still an amazing vehicle. Just need to start pimping my white one now...

Yes, the Marco Polo is on a LWB base, and only available in that version.

Karim said:
The Viano Fun has been out for years, it's not something new: actually it was on the list way before VW introduced the Beach, even if the Beach itself it's nothing different from the old T4 Multivan with the elevating roof.

Ok,
I have never heard of it and yet I read plenty of motoring magazines.

//Mart

Hi,
Yeah just been reading about it too. I think even auto express have a report on it.
What surprised me was the fact that the people carrier version comes out 6 months before the van version (Vito).
Maybe we will see a multivan/caravelle before the transporter!

//Martin

Back