Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Merry Christmas and a moan!

D

Dan

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Merry Christmas everyone. I'm fairly new to this forum but have found it very useful for getting extra information on the various options available on the T6 and I've now placed an order for a 204 dsg bus with 4motion.

Went for the ocean as beach isn't available with the 204 (unless I'm mistaken?!) but they're both great so not bothered either way. We're all very excited and can't wait to get out there and have fun in it.

Have chosen DSG as we have a golf tdi with it and have rented a California t5 with DSG in the past and it makes every journey effortless. Not really bothered about the delay from the box, I got used to it in just a few miles.

Have opted for the 4motion as I'm a man and we're silly and like ticking boxes - and I'll be towing off road occasionally.

If there's one thing I've noticed on this forum that I haven't on any other car / enthusiast forum that I've been a member is the amount of defensive and sometimes plain nasty comments that some people seem to make.

There's even arguing about whether the ocean / beach / SE is best! It's the same vehicle folks - a VW van that can be used to sleep in. I thought owners of VW buses were laid back and relaxed? Just chill out, put some tape over the bits of plastic that aren't finished to your liking and start enjoying it.

Have a great Christmas

I am very chilled out and relaxed thanks, I am sure when something falls off your on order VW you may put some black gaffer tape on it to make a repair but I also bet you will make full use of VW 3 year warrenty.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Now thats what i call a positive post ....:thumb

Compared to most of the forums I'm on or have been on, this forum is by far the least argumentative or hostile, and I've been here from the start, so I can't agree with you there Dan!
Welcome by the way.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I find it a very friendly forum myself, and have learnt loads in the last few months. Infact just ordered a Boginabag for emergancies after reading the thread here.
When I have followed some streams on other forums I have been shocked by the language,
I was a member of a doctors forum a few years back, and a couple of guys were suspended by the GMC( and so stopped from working) for their inappropriate comments.
Part of getting on and staying chilled is about tolerating others having different views . If you want to think a beach is better than an ocean, I am fine with that.,

@CYCLOPATH
There are some Cali-doctors on this forum but non of them can cure the disease we got...Californiaitis.....;)
Most of the post are positive but lately it's gone a bit downhill ....so this post by Dan realy stick it's head above the rest:thumb

I belong to many forums and have been lurking on here for yonks, all the people on here appear very nice. same can't be said for the type 2 or t4 forum!

It's funny , I was wondering wether to go to the meet in April.
There are a few on here who post a lot, who I have formed mental images of, based on their comments . Nice ones by the way.
I was an archers fan from the 60s as a small child, and was so disappointed when I saw pictures of them in the radio times. Maby I will keep you all as mental images and not spoil it.

It's funny , I was wondering wether to go to the meet in April.
There are a few on here who post a lot, who I have formed mental images of, based on their comments . Nice ones by the way.
I was an archers fan from the 60s as a small child, and was so disappointed when I saw pictures of them in the radio times. Maby I will keep you all as mental images and not spoil it.

Go!
We learnt soooo much at our first meet we went to, met some lovely people at picked up at least 20 hints and tips on using the van.

I am sure you are right Kirk. I will book up.
Go on then , tell me the 20 hints and tips!
I have just been out measuring the wardrobe , as I think shelves would use the space far more efficiently

One pack each, the 2 bags hold quite a lot of folded clothes also comes with a handy toiletries bag too. They can also fit in the large pull out drawer, giving you more packing options.

I have just been out measuring, looks like you could have a shelf almost up to the height of the door in the wardrobe, supported by the plastic moulding, and still get four of those in top, leaving a big space beneath for more stuff.
Excellent

We've used a skubb hanging storage from ikea in the wardrobe in our hire Cali as suggested by others on this forum. It was brill

Last edited:
I am sure you are right Kirk. I will book up.
Go on then , tell me the 20 hints and tips!
I have just been out measuring the wardrobe , as I think shelves would use the space far more efficiently

Our shelves.
Old desk chopped up and bits of ally I had hanging around. They can be lifted out if required.

I've tried everything in that cupboard ...

Also an advocate of the packing cubes, use them everywhere, and I attach cheap plastic key rings, the ones with the sliding plastic covered labels, to identify what's in each one so I can lust lift a tag to read and not haul the lot out of either drawer or the black hole of California,

I've tried lots of clothes hung up but it's a pain stopping empty hangers tapping "drive you nuts" in morse code as you drive along and an even bigger pain trying to get clothes at the back out without removing all the ones at the front.

Currently got one of those folding hanging shelf-thingeys in there.

Will be going back to packing cubes for next week's voyage.

We just have it full of clothes on hangers. All hangers hooked on in same direction. Easy in and out. No tapping of hangers. Rear cupboards have eBags full of underwear and t-shirts. Rear locker has microfibre camping towels and toilet bags. Underbed drawer. Blinds, waterproof jackets, crocs, emergency expedition food packs. Kitchen cupboards, cooking equipment, crockery, food stock etc..
Vehicle always stocked. All we have to do is fill with water and go, as we often do.:thumb

I love neat little packing solutions.
On my cycle tours we manage a week with a 7 lb saddle bag , using all sorts of weight minimising tricks.
Hence one of the many pleasures of the Cali
Have you noticed behind the table there are elastic holders
If you fold the front curtain in half. Lay the others on it and roll it up it fits perfectly in that space

The hangers do waste 30% of the space, but a good idea. Custom ones would work better with a gap in a whole corner
But
I will try to build a shelf
I like the idea of using the moulding as a support, the shelf will look like it was meant to be there, using the structure of the van. And a support slid over on of the fridge mounting bolts. Maby using marine ply, thin light and eaisy to work with.

Will have to investigate behind table when we get our van, now what can I put in there? No need for curtain as will have front blinds. We put all our clothes in bottom drawer and wardrobe on recent hire holiday. Had a quest mini oven in kitchen cupboard. Can't wait to find where to put our Christmas haul

Merry Christmas everyone. I'm fairly new to this forum but have found it very useful for getting extra information on the various options available on the T6 and I've now placed an order for a 204 dsg bus with 4motion.

Went for the ocean as beach isn't available with the 204 (unless I'm mistaken?!) but they're both great so not bothered either way. We're all very excited and can't wait to get out there and have fun in it.

Have chosen DSG as we have a golf tdi with it and have rented a California t5 with DSG in the past and it makes every journey effortless. Not really bothered about the delay from the box, I got used to it in just a few miles.

Have opted for the 4motion as I'm a man and we're silly and like ticking boxes - and I'll be towing off road occasionally.

If there's one thing I've noticed on this forum that I haven't on any other car / enthusiast forum that I've been a member is the amount of defensive and sometimes plain nasty comments that some people seem to make.

There's even arguing about whether the ocean / beach / SE is best! It's the same vehicle folks - a VW van that can be used to sleep in. I thought owners of VW buses were laid back and relaxed? Just chill out, put some tape over the bits of plastic that aren't finished to your liking and start enjoying it.

Have a great Christmas
Sadly I have noticed the same thing Dan,some are very defensive,the forum is very good for info but not always so good if you get involved in discussions.
Seems quite a small group considering the number of owners out there,maybe thats the problem.
Anyway ,a very good post.all the best.

I love neat little packing solutions.
On my cycle tours we manage a week with a 7 lb saddle bag , using all sorts of weight minimising tricks.
Hence one of the many pleasures of the Cali
Have you noticed behind the table there are elastic holders
If you fold the front curtain in half. Lay the others on it and roll it up it fits perfectly in that space
Eh, what where?!
How come no one has mentioned that one?!
Better go for a look... Might just check out the wine that's cooling in the fridge while I'm there and test the heating...
;););)

Sadly I have noticed the same thing Dan,some are very defensive,the forum is very good for info but not always so good if you get involved in discussions.
Seems quite a small group considering the number of owners out there,maybe thats the problem.
Anyway ,a very good post.all the best.
People are defensive when their choice of vehicle, usage, lifestyle or opinion offered etc: is rubbished.
Recently a member posted that the Beach was for real campers and the SE/Ocean for motorhome aficionados and/or the older generation. If you don't expect such an opinion to be challenged then you are in the wrong place. Each to his/her own but don't expect such comments to go unchallenged.:sorry

Back