Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Merry Christmas and a moan!

Eh, what where?!
How come no one has mentioned that one?!
Better go for a look... Might just check out the wine that's cooling in the fridge while I'm there and test the heating...
;););)
Don't forget you can stick stuff in the seats stored in the tailgate. We keep the blinds in there, and shopping bags.

Sadly I have noticed the same thing Dan,some are very defensive,the forum is very good for info but not always so good if you get involved in discussions.
Seems quite a small group considering the number of owners out there,maybe thats the problem.
Anyway ,a very good post.all the best.
NB Friendly Post, not having a pop Kaydee but 3 1/2 years on the forum and 33 posts you can't really criticise other people who are more active than you. I posted only last week that too many members sit on the fence only engaging when a crisis happens and then expect 20 replies within the hour. Yes there are some childish tit for tat posts but nothing offensive. It is a very friendly and helpful forum but don't leave it all to the same people, positive posts re Calis, touring, campsites always welcome.

We just have it full of clothes on hangers. All hangers hooked on in same direction. Easy in and out. No tapping of hangers. Rear cupboards have eBags full of underwear and t-shirts. Rear locker has microfibre camping towels and toilet bags. Underbed drawer. Blinds, waterproof jackets, crocs, emergency expedition food packs. Kitchen cupboards, cooking equipment, crockery, food stock etc..
Vehicle always stocked. All we have to do is fill with water and go, as we often do.:thumb
Crocs ...... ? i think this is worthy of its own thread

Don't forget you can stick stuff in the seats stored in the tailgate. We keep the blinds in there, and shopping bags.
Planning to put our topper thing in there but last time I tried I couldn't get it in there. Waiting for a tall person to do it for me!

Have my Topper one side and Storm Porch the other side. Both made by Comfortz. Fit perfectly. Inside each chair , wiggle from side to side as you push . :thumb

Sadly I have noticed the same thing Dan,some are very defensive,the forum is very good for info but not always so good if you get involved in discussions.
Seems quite a small group considering the number of owners out there,maybe thats the problem.
Anyway ,a very good post.all the best.
I used to get more involved but got off by certain people who were looking for a fight. I stopped posting for a while until things improved but i am gradually getting back into it.

Recently a member posted that the Beach was for real campers and the SE/Ocean for motorhome aficionados and/or the older generation.

WG - please don't misquote me by writing down what you thought I had written - this is often the reason things start to go downhill.

What I actually said was 'We always explain to folks we meet that the Beach is for Campervaners and the SE for Motorhomesers' OK Android made a mess of the last word.

What I was saying was that when asked by people who don't know what the difference was between the two versions we explain it by using the analogy of campervanners vs motorhomers. It wasn't an insult to SE owners but just a useful shorthand that in our 'opinion' is a useful way of explaining the difference.

Given the context of this thread I was a little surprised to see my 'opinion' so badly misrepresented.....

And challenge away at our opinions but make sure you challenge what was written not what you believe you thought was written.

Not sure I agree with your analogy, based on past VW models, split screens, T2,3,4 & 5 all models with cupboards, kitchen, hookup etc are called campervans hence "campervanners" not "motorhomers". People assume a camper van has beds, sink, hob, cupboards etc. Perhaps "campers" and "campervanners" might be less confusing to people not in the know. :thumb

Perhaps "campers" and "campervanners" might be less confusing to people not in the know.

You might be right with your opinion - maybe we'll have to reconsider our analogy.... although given they wouldn't have a clue about T1, T2 etc. I'm not sure. Anyway, your opinion, my opinion, and I'm sure there's there's lots more as well. In the grand scheme of things we're probably both more interested in plans for our next trip, we certainly are.

Not sure I agree with your analogy, based on past VW models, split screens, T2,3,4 & 5 all models with cupboards, kitchen, hookup etc are called campervans

I agree with this and this expectation should be noted by those Beach owners intending to rent them out on the newly launched website. By the above definition, most people will arrive at a 'Hire a California' website expecting the vans will be equipped with cupboards, kitchen, hookup etc. The general public can't be expected to know that the 'Beach' they are looking at lacks the cupboards and kitchen, so it will need to be made VERY CLEAR.

I've shared this worry with the site, and they will do their best to ensure the differences are clear.

Some interesting thoughts above.

Camping to me, going back to when I used to carry a leaky, heavy thing on my back, was all about being totally self-sufficient and being able to get anywhere.

A vehicle employing that same concept, self-sufficient and able to get anywhere, is to me a camper. Therefore both Beach and California are variants on a theme of camper.

A vehicle that because of shape, size, fragility cannot be as versatile in terms of getting anywhere starts to edge into motorhome territory.

However it is not just about vehicle flexibility. It is also about the mindset of the occupier. Campers are people who want to explore, who want a degree of ability to harmonise with nature, who want to be off-the-cuff free spirits. Whether that involves a van with a kitchen and a fridge in it or a van that feels like a fridge with a single burner portable stove in the boot is really neither here nor there.

I tend to think the distinction is between vehicles that don't have a proper toilet/shower (campervans like both flavours of cali) and those that do (motorhomes)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Camper is a Trailer Tent on a motorised chassis and a Motorhome is a Caravan on a motorised chassis.

NOW before everyone starts moaning - what do you get in a modern caravan that you don't get in a tent?

Have just come back from Crystal Palace CC site and speaking to the warden he was saying they have seen a significant reduction in the older motorhomes and camper vans because of the Low Emissions Zone within which Crystal Palace lies. A very laid back CC site as they cater for a lot of foreign visitors. Their only one rule they insist on is to park to the peg whether forwards or backward to ensure adequate separation of units. This is so they can cater for European/UK spec caravans/motorhomes/campers which have the door on the " wrong " side, such as we do.

I've got a toilet and sink in a separate dressing room, and mine's a Cali.
But then I do look like an upturned boat converted to sell ice-creams ;) But my ego can handle it......

I've got a toilet and sink in a separate dressing room, and mine's a Cali.
But then I do look like an upturned boat converted to sell ice-creams ;) But my ego can handle it......
But NO shower cubicle - so you're OK!!

I agree with the previous posts. I wanted a van to improve my camping experience as the years take their toll on my knees, but needed a manageable size to drive along rural single track roads and and still be able to do a three (ok probably a six) point turn. To me a motor home has toilet/shower and every permutation of the VW van is a kind of campervan.
As I said "to me".....everyone has their own interpretation according to all our different needs
Just enjoy the experience

Eh, what where?!
How come no one has mentioned that one?!
Better go for a look... Might just check out the wine that's cooling in the fridge while I'm there and test the heating...
;););)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that
I keep all my alcohol in the van now
I have to put the red wine by the fan for 20 mins to get it to the right temp.
And the cheese in the fridge,,,,which is getting a bit smelly ,,,,,but it means the kids don't complain about the fridge in the house

I'm new here and my T6 Beach is on order, which is something that would have been very much more difficult without the information and guidance from members of this forum. I am therefore very grateful and will be spending a lot of time here. However, I do have a few thoughts...

Yes, I think people here can be a bit prickly occasionally and it seems to stem from defensiveness i.e. some peoples disinclination to let bold or disagreeable comments slide. In my experience, on other forums, it tends not to be the initial comment/opinion that sets a nasty tone in motion, but the initial 'bite' from someone who feels threatened/offended and then sets about chastising the 'perpetrator'. If we don't bite, then there won't be a fight. Pretty simple really. If we take it one step further and consider trolling (which I do not think is present here on this forum), we all know that you 'don't feed the troll'. IMO the same principle holds true.

The Beach vs Ocean thread is the first example where I have seen clear tetchiness. The issue of which is 'better' will not be definitively resolved, because it is not just a question of utility and circumstances. It is also a matter of subjective opinion and opinions are enormously varied and often for reasons we cannot comprehend. Just by expressing an honest opinion, it is all too easy to make someone else uncomfortable if they are prone to taking offence. When we consider the limitations of brief text-based interactions, the scope for upset increases further.

Personally, I think it is important for us to work at not being offended if we want a pleasant community, rather than always pointing the finger at the person who said the thing that we don't like. In short, its about 'getting over ourselves'.

Take art as an example: Invite your friend to give you an honest 'warts and all' opinion about your favourite piece of art on your wall and ask yourself how you would feel if someone said, "I find it pretty ugly if I am honest and I'm not sure I can see what you like about it." If you can't hear that without getting upset, who needs to reflect upon the exchange most?

If you want to see how bad forums can get, just read some forum threads on 'Canon vs. Nikon' :D

Last edited:
I dis agree with your analogy completely. An SE/Ocean is no where like a motor home. These are large bulky boxes on wheels with ovens,showers and inbuilt toilets and disgusting upholsterery. Cali's are go anywhere, do anything camper van. A Beach is camping.(with luxury of not sleeping on the floor in a lovely vehicle) We are new to the Cali scene but we are definitely NOt going to be classed as moterhomers. The Se/ocean and beach are fantastic vehicles. It is the motorhome comparison I disagree with before anyone accuses me of being anti beach. Far from it.
Anyway back to topic , liking the decathlon storage bags, will be investigating those for our van.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that
I keep all my alcohol in the van now
I have to put the red wine by the fan for 20 mins to get it to the right temp.
And the cheese in the fridge,,,,which is getting a bit smelly ,,,,,but it means the kids don't complain about the fridge in the house
The camembert has got a bit ripe in ours at the moment!!

If you want to see how bad forums can get, just read some forum threads on 'Canon vs. Nikon' :D

Please - DON't GO THERE!. I belong to a photographic Club - constant rivalry between Canon & Nikon ( but friendly thank heaven ) with the occasional Leicia officinadio taking part.

Back