Metallic 'tinkling' sound coming from engine drivers side

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. I've noticed a metallic 'tinkling' sound coming from engine drivers side when the engine is idling. I can't hear it from the cab and, when listening close the the drivers side wheel arch, it seems to be coming from just above and behind there but within the engine compartment. I can't identify the source from looking in the engine bay in that area, however. After about 20mins of idling, it seems to lessen in volume. I realise this is a vague description but if anyone has any idea what this might be (from their own experience perhaps?) then I'd welcome any thoughts or comments.

Thanks, but the sound drops in level after about 20mins. Wouldn’t the DMF continue making noise at the same level?

Sounds like a noisy auxiliary belt tensioner. I had my replaced and the noise disappeared.

A VW Assist technician came and inspected the noise. His verdict was a that it is probably a bearing on one of the drive belt pulleys, possible the auxiliary belt tensioner one (thanks for that observation, KaiserT6) as this is subject to the most movement. He ruled out the dual mass flywheel, which is a relief! He also said the bearing noise was at a very early stage and that the bearing could last a number of years before needing to be replaced. I do have a couple of other small things for VW to check out so I will take it to them soon. I have an All-In Plan but suspect the bearing noise will be classed as 'wear and tear'. In that case, I'll go to a reliable independent dealer that uses VW original parts and has access to the VW servicing database so that my All-In Plan warranty won't be voided.

Back