Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattle/knock/hum etc

Creaking from the back door when driving. Rubber grommets/pads where the door meets the bodywork dry. A bit of silicone spray seems to work.
Silicone spray can cause dirt and grit to stick causing unsightly black patches. I tend to use candle wax. Just rub a candle on the offending area. I have used this solution on other vehicles - works a treat.

Metal tapping sound. Seems to emanate from under the seat or on the outside of the car. A very intermittent, noise that I couldn't replicate

My wonderful wife had a thought and suggested the mud flaps. I checked then passenger one yesterday and sure enough it moved when it shouldn't. I had a good feeling that this was the cause of the annoying rattle, when jiggled it sounded a likely candidate. So after a couple of washers added and a re-tighten the sound has gone ! Result!

...message ends....

Hi all
I have an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side. Having searched the forum for noise/rattle related posts it occurred to me that a thread of common and not so common noises would be a good thing to have?

I figure that this would be useful for all older or newer models that have not changed a great deal in layout or materials. If it's all in one place then its easier for us all to find. If it became a list you could then take it with you on a test drive?

Description:
It would need as a minimum:
Some idea of this location, drivers, passenger, overhead, roof, back, engine bay, underneath.

What it sounds like, metallic, thud, grinding, tinkling etc

When does it occur, moving greater than 30mph, at standstill etc

Tried already:
What from the list have you ruled out and why.

Resolution:
The last one here is important since we want definite fix details.

Good idea or am I re-inventing the wheel?

regards

Nov '16: Since initial post, I found the rattle to be the fridge not being properly closed. A firm push with the palm is required. As it settles this will probably take care of itself.

Make sure you get everything reported within 6 months. I have a rattle in my door post which I have been told by the dealer and VW Customer Service would only be covered under warranty if it had been reported in the first 6 months. Rattles count as wear and tear after this and are not covered under warranty unless I can show there is an original fault. Doors going out of alignment are also under this category. I have been shocked.

I have the rattle on my T6 that's mentioned a few times above - intermittent (of course!) and coming from the general area at the front of the dash / bottom of the windscreen.

I've had both the blanking plugs out for LHD wipers (made no difference taking them out altogether) and then also thought I'd cracked it pulling off a smoky brown 'link' piece that directs air between the two blower channels, but still no joy. Really winding me up now!

I have the rattle on my T6 that's mentioned a few times above - intermittent (of course!) and coming from the general area at the front of the dash / bottom of the windscreen.

I've had both the blanking plugs out for LHD wipers (made no difference taking them out altogether) and then also thought I'd cracked it pulling off a smoky brown 'link' piece that directs air between the two blower channels, but still no joy. Really winding me up now!
Front blinds ?

Mike

Could something like a pen have dropped down between the dash and the windscreen?

Beach, so no blinds & def not dropped anything down there. Need to make a concerted effort to fix and/or book it in for it's birthday service.

I think I've fixed my 'windscreen rattle' - it was the outside black plastic panel which covers where the lower edge of the windscreen glass meets the steel bulkhead / bodywork (the same panel where people have had rattly wiper hole blanking plugs ...)

My panel doesn't seem to be secured on the front edge & just flaps about which was making the incessant tapping noise that's been driving us nuts - particularly as it was intermittent & varied by temperature and road surface ... Yesterday I was under the bonnet looking for something to punch & I pulled back the rubber sealing strip which the back edge of the bonnet rests on when closed, tapped on the black plastic & voila, same sound!

It's currently got four folded-up baby wipes holding it proud of the steel bodywork in lieu of a selection of eBay strips coming later in the week - will post a pic of what works best: shower screen edging, brush strip draught excluder or 4mm single-sided foam tape ... I WILL PREVAIL.

I think I've fixed my 'windscreen rattle' - it was the outside black plastic panel which covers where the lower edge of the windscreen glass meets the steel bulkhead / bodywork (the same panel where people have had rattly wiper hole blanking plugs ...)

My panel doesn't seem to be secured on the front edge & just flaps about which was making the incessant tapping noise that's been driving us nuts - particularly as it was intermittent & varied by temperature and road surface ... Yesterday I was under the bonnet looking for something to punch & I pulled back the rubber sealing strip which the back edge of the bonnet rests on when closed, tapped on the black plastic & voila, same sound!

It's currently got four folded-up baby wipes holding it proud of the steel bodywork in lieu of a selection of eBay strips coming later in the week - will post a pic of what works best: shower screen edging, brush strip draught excluder or 4mm single-sided foam tape ... I WILL PREVAIL.
Great bit of detective work! Sounds like the sort of thing I would do. I also hate rattles/knocks. I have all sorts of felt pads, sticky back Velcro pads, a candle (!) etc.

On the T5, the front of that panel is secured, or at least pressed down by the Rubber Profile strip that the rear of the Bonnet sits on when closed.

Back