Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Engine issue. Tube dangling from engine.

B

BetterCallPaul

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All,
So after a long day of driving I parked up for the night and when I noticed a thin black tube dangling from the driver side of the engine. I've added the pictures below. I cannot identify what it is from the owners manual. Would anyone know what this is, what it does and how serious it is to drive with. I parked half way up a mountain about 10 miles from the nearest garage. It definitely happened today at some point during my drive and about 15 minutes before parking up I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine which is a worry.

The first picture is from looking down at the engine, on the driver side (left hand drive) where the battery is.

The second picture is from underneath looking up. The thin black tube is dangling freely and I believe it was previously attatched to that small grey container.

Can anyone help identify what this is?
Thanks PJ

20220724_230345.jpg

20220724_230401.jpg

The grey container is your fuel filter. It’s nothing to do with that as you can see all connections in place from the top photo.

It looks to me like a cable harness.
The cabling that runs down there usually feeds the fog lights (if fitted) or down and along behind the bumper to the other side.

Have you crawled underneath to look at the end of the tube/cable?

Looking again at this, you’ve not photographed the same thing in both photos.
The photo from below shows the tube in front of the fuel filter. The top photo appears to show cabling behind the fuel filter.

More info required please.

I take it we're not getting an update on this then?

So after taking it to a garage in Spain they told me that they could not find anything wrong with the engine. They were not able to explain to me exactly what the black tube and grey part does, but they told me it contained no traces of fluid and no exposed wires. They disconnected the tube so it would not catch on anything and they told me not to worry about it. I took them at their word and have kept driving. So far the only thing that has not worked is the outside tempreture gauge.

In my research though I found the following video of a good overview of the engine components and thought I would share.

If I do find out what it does or in my case did. I'll post an update.

I take it we're not getting an update on this then?
Sorry, I am mid trip at the moment so only have occasional Internet coverage. The update I can give is that I took it to a garage in Spain. They put it on the lift and took a look at it but they were not able to explain to me what it was or what it did. In a mix of broken Spanish and English they asked me if any lights were coming on, checked the fluid levels which were all OK, and checked a few other things but did not give me an answer of what exactly the tube is for. They showed me there was no fluid or wires so its possibe its a tube connected to a vacum and that they grey piece underneath is part of that vacuum? In any case they kind of shrugged their sholders and said don't worry about it. In fairness they did seem quite knowledgeable but just not about that model of van. Its almost as old as one of they guys who looked at it so I can kind of understand that. So far I put another 700km since it happened and the only thing not working is the external temp gauge. I am generally curious as to what it does but less worried than before since the mechanics were not concerned about me driving fuether. When I got a chance I looked online but could not find anything. Even the detailed video I shared above which is pretty much of my same van does not show or explain that exact piece. The manual also does not mention it
I am happy to share more pictures or answer questions if you are as curious as I am. Thanks for the interest in any case. Always appreciated

maybe it's just an old battery vent tube or something similar ?

I was wondering if it was a wing drain tube. The 4's are prone to dead leaves etc collecting inside the wings above the wheel arches. There is a mod that adds a tube directly from the windscreen scuttle panel drain holes to pretty much where the mystery tube dangles.

The grey container is your fuel filter. It’s nothing to do with that as you can see all connections in place from the top photo.

It looks to me like a cable harness.
The cabling that runs down there usually feeds the fog lights (if fitted) or down and along behind the bumper to the other side.

Have you crawled underneath to look at the end of the tube/cable?
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the input and for identifying the fuel filter. Its good to know what that is. That brings a new question. Is it normal for the filter to have that nipple at the bottom not connected to anything?
When I first noticed the tube tangling I assumed it would have been connected to that nipple, but now I see that is not the case.
In any event, its still a mystery to me what the tube does and where it was connected to. It foes seem to go into the cab on the drivers side but its still not clear to me where it goes. In any case I know its difficult to explain which is why I did a short 2 minute video which might explain the situation a bit better.

Thanks,
PJ

maybe it's just an old battery vent tube or something similar ?
That would be interesting if the case. It does go behind the battery. But what is a battery vent tube? I never heard of that before. Here is the video in case it helps.

I was wondering if it was a wing drain tube. The 4's are prone to dead leaves etc collecting inside the wings above the wheel arches. There is a mod that adds a tube directly from the windscreen scuttle panel drain holes to pretty much where the mystery tube dangles.
Interesting. However to me it seems to go into the cab rather than to another part of the engine. There is no evidence of any fluid but the only thing no working since I noticed it is the outside tempreture gauge. You can see the tempreture from the leisure battery displayed on the roof and this no longer works. Not sure if its related . The mechanic did not seem sure what it does either.

In any case here is a video that might explain it better.

Cheers,
PJ

Definitely an electrical sleeving. The inner cabling has obvs disapeared. The external temp sensor on mine is on the opposite side but the cable route is via the drivers side and across the front cross member. It could be that, given you no longer have a display.
Next job is to trace it fully inside the cabin and see where it goes and it there are broken cables.

Definitely an electrical sleeving. The inner cabling has obvs disapeared. The external temp sensor on mine is on the opposite side but the cable route is via the drivers side and across the front cross member. It could be that, given you no longer have a display.
Next job is to trace it fully inside the cabin and see where it goes and it there are broken cables.
Thanks a lot, this makes sense as its the only thing not working since it came loose. I'll get it looked at properly when I get back home in a month but for now I am just happy to know that it is nothing serious and that I can keep driving, which is what the mechanics had said.
I won't provide any further updates and will close the thread , but a big thanks to you and others on the forum for offering advice this helped put my mind at ease while on the road.
Cheers

Back