Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MFD to show KPH

Rob Feeney

Rob Feeney

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Evening all. I’ve been wanting to have KM/H (KPH) show in the Multifunction Display and so picked up a Carista during the Black Friday deals. This evening I changed the country to Australia (as per previous threads) and now get the digital speed read out in the MFD. I cannot however find anyway to get this to read in KPH, is this possible? Or am I back to reading the small Alt speed where the temp is now in this pic?

2019 UK spec Ocean, 4MO, 199ps 2.0 TDI

F199FF1C-F128-42DE-B8C8-ABA335817FA7.jpeg

I’ve not found a way, you might try other country options..
Probably change the language to that of the country chosen. Any English speaking country that uses Kms?
Australia should show Km and I don’t see why it shows Miles. Very strange.
Can you change to metric units overall, Litres and Km? and does that then change the digital speed shown for Australia?

Also we have some Australian members maybe they have an insight.

Last edited:
Did the same on my yeti and never found a way to get KM/h in large numbers only the small alternative.

I have a vcds, and have built up a small file of changes to standard config etc.

This is what I have on file....

You will need VCDS and if you or a friend has access to it then you need to do the following. This isn’t a VCDS tutorial so I’ll assume you know how to do the below to activate it:
  1. Select Control Module 17 “Instruments” in VAG-COM/VCDS
  2. Go to Long Coding
  3. Go to Byte 0 > Bit 4-7
  4. Change whatever location you have in there (Normally England) to “Rest of World”
  5. Click Exit and then DO IT
  6. Un-Plug your VCDS and get ready to start playing with your DIS.
  7. On your DIS go to your settings and do the following:
    • Untick “Alt. Speed DIS”
    • Still in settings, go to MFD Data
    • Tick Digital Speedo
    • Click Go Back and then Go to Units
    • Choose Consump./dist.
    • Scroll down and select mpg (UK), mi
Once you’ve done all the above you’ll then have removed the annoying KPH display in the bottom part of your DIS / MFD and gained a nice Digital mph speedo.

Check out step 7. Rather than select mpg (UK), mi
instead select option with km in it

I have not tried this myself, so can not vouch for accuracy.

Let us know if it works for you.

Try using Ireland as country. Speaks English and uses km.

I've changed the region to Germany and the language also and it still just allows MPH, even when changing the units.

I assume that those with continental Calis that their MFD shows KM/H?

I've changed the region to Germany and the language also and it still just allows MPH, even when changing the units.

I assume that those with continental Calis that their MFD shows KM/H?
Good Morning All...and hope you're keeping safe and well.

Has anyone come up with a definitive solution to this?
Any comments from non-UK users?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Good Morning All...and hope you're keeping safe and well.

Has anyone come up with a definitive solution to this?
Any comments from non-UK users?

My German van shows Km/h in the MFD. I would have liked to have changed it to MPH for 5 weeks in Scotland, but couldn't find a way.

After giving this some thought, I guess I can see a reason for not making this change available. It forces us to calculate from a measure we are familiar with. I grew up with MPH, but have lived in KPH for the last 40 years, so I know both. But if I had been able to change my speedometer from MPH to Km/h the first time I moved to a different country, the speed would have been displayed in a measure with which I had no experience. Does everybody know instantly how fast 67 kph is, or 126 kph? Just a theory. And in any case, I would have liked to have had the option available, so I see why others would want the same convenience.

Last edited:
After giving this some thought, I guess I can see a reason for not making this change available. It forces us to calculate from a measure we are familiar with. I grew up with MPH, but have lived in KPH for the last 40 years, so I know both. But if I had been able to change my speedometer from MPH to Km/h the first time I moved to a different country, the speed would have been displayed in a measure with which I had no experience. Does everybody know instantly how fast 67 kph is, or 126 kph? Just a theory. And in any case, I would have liked to have had the option available, so I see why others would want the same convenience.
Thank you clarinetbcn
Looks like hard region coding as tried to have it done professionally with VCDS without success.
I also played around with Carista to no avail, can change everything bar digital speed display units
When we were in Portugal last year, we decided to go off the beaten track and got really frustrated with the constant and frequent speed changes into and out of all the small villages that it would have been easier if the option of a large central KPH display was available.
We resorted to having SPEEDOMETER(PRO) android app showing full screen KPH display on our mobile fitted next to the main headunit display...
Ah well...

Thank you clarinetbcn
Looks like hard region coding as tried to have it done professionally with VCDS without success.
I also played around with Carista to no avail, can change everything bar digital speed display units
When we were in Portugal last year, we decided to go off the beaten track and got really frustrated with the constant and frequent speed changes into and out of all the small villages that it would have been easier if the option of a large central KPH display was available.
We resorted to having SPEEDOMETER(PRO) android app showing full screen KPH display on our mobile fitted next to the main headunit display...
Ah well...

Good solution, I'll use it on my next trip to UK.