Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MFT box and calicap tray

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just wondered if you can still slide a boot tray out with a MFT box, thinking of getting the box but still want to be able to slide out and use the tray.

Sorry icic,
What's an MFT box?

Looking at the photo it's looks like the box and a pull out tray would be incompatible.

I think it tilts Ben more than that, think I saw a photo somewhere with it touching the ground

But yes I think they might not work together. The other option i am thinking about is the Thule Boxes : Carry All Box 150. But would ideally like to carry bikes sometimes, rather not do a roof box as have solar panels. I already have the big amazon bag buts it’s not secure

I think it tilts Ben more than that, think I saw a photo somewhere with it touching the ground
Obviously it would have to lay down enough for the pull out tray to clear it. So the box would need to fold down lower than the boot floor. One of the photos in the above link shows it lying pretty flat but it's not clear enough to say if it would work or not. If you have the box already fitted then may I suggest you drop it down to it's lowest position and then use something like a plank of wood placed on the boot floor to project out rearwards at the same level. If it clears the box then the tray should fit and operate correctly. If it doesn't then the tray travel would be restricted.

I have a BackBox, and although you can tilt it down so it touches the ground to clear the tailgate, it would still foul a Cali drawer. It would allow the drawer to come out by about a quarter of its travel, but not fully.

Hope that helps.

Alan

But yes I think they might not work together. The other option i am thinking about is the Thule Boxes : Carry All Box 150. But would ideally like to carry bikes sometimes, rather not do a roof box as have solar panels. I already have the big amazon bag buts it’s not secure
I'm not trying to be facetious or rude, but why? @Amarillo managed a years tour around the EU with a family of 4, dogs and bikes and a bike trailer with just a tailgate bike rack. No external box or roof box.
If you are touring then less is more. If you are staying put for long periods then maybe a trailer.

I'm not trying to be facetious or rude, but why? @Amarillo managed a years tour around the EU with a family of 4, dogs and bikes and a bike trailer with just a tailgate bike rack. No external box or roof box.
If you are touring then less is more. If you are staying put for long periods then maybe a trailer.
For those occasions when we need to take lots of stuff we have a trailer. It works very well with the pull out tray.

Trailer might be the way to go, most of the time will be touring so don’t need the extra space, but sometimes if camping would need more. Thanks guys will continue to think, but think I am not leaning towards box now

Trailer might be the way to go, most of the time will be touring so don’t need the extra space, but sometimes if camping would need more. Thanks guys will continue to think, but think I am not leaning towards box now

As @WelshGas said, we toured Europe for a shade over a year, camping 300 out of 375 nights, with two toddlers and, initially two dogs (later one). We packed summer and winter clothing, and never felt the need for a trailer or roof box.

The Beach boot is cavernous unless you have seven seats, and if properly organised and compartmentalised will pack all you can need unless you have a bulky hobby to pursue.

Well if you do decide to go down the trailer route, I can thoroughly recommend the Anssems GT 750 201 HT. It's an excellent trailer and tows like a dream. So much so that you don't know it's there. It's roomy, waterproof and lockable so ideal for keeping all the stuff you don't want in the van. Walking boots, wet clothing etc etc can all be locked away for safety. The lid forms a hard deck that has several uses. You can use it as a food and picnic prep surface, you can strap extra gear to the top like a conventional roof rack or attach a top box and you can even spec up to four bike racks which clamp onto the rail which runs around the lid.

20200620_135019.jpg

Back