Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

I prefer the 65’s with more sidewall. Allows for proper airing down if needed. I had 18’s with BFG 55’s and switched to 17’s for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So do I, no question about it…just also liked the idea of keeping to a standard size and not having to worry about it. Maybe I will procrastinate on it for a bit longer :)

So do I, no question about it…just also liked the idea of keeping to a standard size and not having to worry about it. Maybe I will procrastinate on it for a bit longer :)

Have you checked your speedo compared to a GPS? Many find that the 65’s provide a more accurate speed. Mine is spot on now and was off with stock size.

Have you checked your speedo compared to a GPS? Many find that the 65’s provide a more accurate speed. Mine is spot on now and was off with stock size.

No I haven’t yet but I definitely should

No I haven’t yet but I definitely should

My guess is it’s off by 4-5% at 100 Kmh. I’m in Europe so can’t help with Mph. if you have a VCDS or OBD11 there are 8 variant settings for wheels. I have a spreadsheet somewhere but the ideal setting for 65’s is variant 3.

My guess is it’s off by 4-5% at 100 Kmh. I’m in Europe so can’t help with Mph. if you have a VCDS or OBD11 there are 8 variant settings for wheels. I have a spreadsheet somewhere but the ideal setting for 65’s is variant 3.

I need to pint out that you can only change this setting once. Mess it up and it’s locked. Only way out is to replace the dash/tacho and recode. Mine was already on variant 3.

I can assure you I don’t know even what those are, let alone have one haha.

Are there any downsides to a 65 in your experience?

I can assure you I don’t know even what those are, let alone have one haha.

Are there any downsides to a 65 in your experience?

None. Everyone I know here runs them with BFG, Falkens and Coopers.

I should note that I do have air suspension and mostly drive with 30-35mm lift, but on long highway drives I put it in sport mode which drops me down to 5mm below stock height. No rubbing at all so you should be fine with stock suspension.

I’d run 65’s if I were ever to change. Not so much for the airing down, I can run the KO2’s as low as 15 psi without any real issues and don’t envisage a scenario where I’d ever need to go lower TBH. For me the primary driver would be increased ride comfort on road.

At the moment I can’t justify the expense but maybe when the BFG’s need replacing I’ll look at l what I can get for my 18” Monotubes and make a judgement call then.

I’d run 65’s if I were ever to change. Not so much for the airing down, I can run the KO2’s as low as 15 psi without any real issues and don’t envisage a scenario where I’d ever need to go lower TBH. For me the primary driver would be increased ride comfort on road.

At the moment I can’t justify the expense but maybe when the BFG’s need replacing I’ll look at see what I can get for my 18” Monotubes and make a judgement call then.

On 18’s I’m pretty sure you’ll need 55’s. The BFG’s are triple sidewall while many others are single or dual. The Falkens are triple near the bead and then double towards the tread. I’ve tried so many tyres and no one will take my Falkens away without a very strong argument. Complete silence while driving and perform when I need them to. The BFG’s started to make me mental with the droning noise on long drives. My last trip to Italy in 42C was enough for me to say enough is enough!

On 18’s I’m pretty sure you’ll need 55’s. The BFG’s are triple sidewall while many others are single or dual. The Falkens are triple near the bead and then double towards the tread. I’ve tried so many tyres and no one will take my Falkens away without a very strong argument. Complete silence while driving and perform when I need them to. The BFG’s started to make me mental with the droning noise on long drives. My last trip to Italy in 42C was enough for me to say enough is enough!

Yes, I have 55’s on the 18’s. I was meaning changing the rims to 17’s when the time comes to replace the rubber.

I’m starting to be convinced about Falkens over BFG next time whatever, I’m just waiting on some real world reviews on the KO3’s. They look like they incorporate many of the the best features of the Falkens whilst retaining the durability that is so good on the KO2’s.

Yes, I have 55’s on the 18’s. I was meaning changing the rims to 17’s when the time comes to replace the rubber.

I’m starting to be convinced about Falkens over BFG next time whatever, I’m just waiting on some real world reviews on the KO3’s. They look like they incorporate many of the the best features of the Falkens whilst retaining the durability that is so good on the KO2’s.

I hear ya, I also won’t touch a new version for 2-3 years. The Falkens also have a new version 4 which has 65K mile warranty. The 3’s already amaze me but I’d wait nonetheless for a few years before changing. I’ve been burned before…

I hear ya, I also won’t touch a new version for 2-3 years. The Falkens also have a new version 4 which has 65K mile warranty. The 3’s already amaze me but I’d wait nonetheless for a few years before changing. I’ve been burned before…

BTW do you carry a spare and if so where? Have you managed to mount one underneath?

One of the reasons I love the KO2’s is I can be reasonably confident on the terrain I drive that I won’t rip one. I’m planning a trip to the Balkans next year and won’t do that without a spare but I can’t fit one underneath even with an adapter. I don’t want to get rid of my ladder for a bike rack style mount as I need easy access to the roof rack. I’m thinking about a swing out mount on the tow bar.

BTW do you carry a spare and if so where? Have you managed to mount one underneath?

One of the reasons I love the KO2’s is I can be reasonably confident on the terrain I drive that I won’t rip one. I’m planning a trip to the Balkans next year and won’t do that without a spare but I can’t fit one underneath even with an adapter. I don’t want to get rid of my ladder for a bike rack style mount as I need easy access to the roof rack. I’m thinking about a swing out mount on the tow bar.

Absolutely. A spare is mandatory for the off-road touring too. I fit mine underneath by only filling it with 1.5 bar of air pressure. Spray silicon on the tread and it will slide right in. I have an onboard air compressor but many just bring along a portable one. Will air it up if it’s ever needed.

I had no problem fitting a 17 inch BFG or my Falkens. It’s tight but just air it down and use silicone spray to slide it in. That sounds dirty but this is the Swamper thread.

I had no problem fitting a 17 inch BFG or my Falkens. It’s tight but just air it down and use silicone spray to slide it in. That sounds dirty but this is the Swamper thread.

Come to think of it I did have to trim the plastic under tray slightly. No big deal though. I will try and remember to take a pic the next time it’s on the lift (likely the 17th as I’m going to be changing diff fluid and haldex)

That’s my issue I have 18” rims and can’t make it work. I’ll try again with low pressure and silicon spray as you suggested

PS we Brits love a double entendres

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should note that I do have air suspension and mostly drive with 30-35mm lift, but on long highway drives I put it in sport mode which drops me down to 5mm below stock height. No rubbing at all so you should be fine with stock suspension.

the issue is whether would be fine in rough terrain with stock suspension on 65, having less clearance...
on the highway will certainly be okay.

That’s my issue I have 18” rims and can’t make it work. I’ll try again with low pressure and silicon spray as you suggested

PS we Brits love a double entendres

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have an 18 inch Wolfrace with 55 Falken as my spare in the standard cradle; tight fit for sure, two issues for me; the towbar hinders removal and the 30kg weight of the wheel. Takes a lot of faffing and a decent (non VW) jack to get it in and out.

Do look a bit small though don’t they? :D
Small, but adequate for the job they will be used for.
Gona have to go function overlooks this time.
Kwik fit just fitting them on now.
I’ll get a rough idea of how they’ll look in a bit.
I’ll lean em up against the Cali.
looking and feeling them, they ooze quality.
Never felt a more sticky rubbery set of rubbers.
Well, not since 35 years ago in me yooof.

I prefer the 65’s with more sidewall. Allows for proper airing down if needed. I had 18’s with BFG 55’s and switched to 17’s for that reason.

I do as well, but no Agilis CC in 65 sidewall only 60.
I’ll do a will they fit comparison.

I do as well, but no Agilis CC in 65 sidewall only 60.
I’ll do a will they fit comparison.
11.75 mm at the top and bottom.
So 2.35 cm.
That’s about an inch so I’m not too worried about losing an inch when they are the best tyre for 80% motorway and 20% camping wet grass & mud.
The wife said I could do with losing an inch or two anyway as it’s too big.