Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Argh. I had all but convinced myself the use case for steel modular wheels for my van.

Now I’m tying myself in knots looking at alloy options on Wheelbase

I blame this forum entirely for my spiralling scope creep and dwindling funds.

Well this is a mid life crisis thread ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Argh. I had all but convinced myself the use case for steel modular wheels for my van.

Now I’m tying myself in knots looking at alloy options on Wheelbase

I blame this forum entirely for my spiralling scope creep and dwindling funds.
Tell me about it, am now reading up on ET values and offsets. Far too complicated this wheels business :D

What have you gone for?
Gloss Black 18” Wolfrace Assassin’s. Look similar to the Springfields on the sports pack to my eye. Got a good deal from Vanstyle but the 14 day quoted delivery time turned into two and half months for some reason. At least they haven’t billed me yet.

Gloss Black 18” Wolfrace Assassin’s. Look similar to the Springfields on the sports pack to my eye. Got a good deal from Vanstyle but the 14 day quoted delivery time turned into two and half months for some reason. At least they haven’t billed me yet.
Look more exciting than Springfields to my eye.

I nearly pressed the button on the sports pack, as the Springfields were the nicest of the VW options.

Think yours are a fine choice.

Love it!

BTW I picked up some high quality Swiss made magnetic brackets for the Thule wind out awning which allows you to support the awning on the side of the van rather than pegging the legs out. I thought it would be great for quick pit stops and for a bit of shade/shelter when parked on tarmac etc. I haven’t had the courage to try them out yet in the high winds we’ve been having. Will post an image and a little review when I do.

Last edited:
nice black ladder.
where's it from, if you don't mind to share it?

It’s a Front Runner ladder, I have it too. Very easy to fit if you have the nuts to drill a couple of holes in the tailgate. You can Velcro it but mine didn’t hold up for long in use so I went for the permanent mount

Anyone taken theirs down this route with the side bars, black bike rack, spare wheel etc? Looks like another potential money pit awaiting me at some stage :D

View attachment 117736

I have a black roof rack, ladder (both Front Runner) like @Defender90, black rock sliders and just fitted the side rack for recovery boards etc.

I even picked up some tree rash the other day during some mild off roading :-(

IMG_3621.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a Front Runner ladder, I have it too. Very easy to fit if you have the nuts to drill a couple of holes in the tailgate. You can Velcro it but mine didn’t hold up for long in use so I went for the permanent mount

thanks, but don't love it that much to drill, I do love my tailgate more.
right, lack of nuts...

right, lack of nuts...

I understand the trepidation, it took me a while to pluck up the courage! If you don’t intend to climb it that often and you weigh less than my 85kg (maybe more after Christmas!) the temporary fixing kit that’s included may work for you. The weight bearing bracket is fixed to the top of the tailgate using the hinge bolts so no drilling required and can be removed without damaging the tailgate in any way.

Even with fairly heavy use the Velcro fixing held up quite well but eventually started to pull away. I could have just replaced the Velcro but in my case I figured that I’m not planning on selling my Cali anytime soon and even if I did I’d leave it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

right, lack of nuts...
No drilling required on the new front runner ladder it’s got different clamps on the bottom now very solid
the wheels are 17” warlord with falken atr really quite as good as original vw stock tyres but look spot on also the van is lifted 35mm again excellent I have also fitted differential spacers

No drilling required on the new front runner ladder it’s got different clamps on the bottom now very solid
the wheels are 17” warlord with falken atr really quite as good as original vw stock tyres but look spot on also the van is lifted 35mm again excellent I have also fitted differential spacers

Really, that makes sense and also makes me a little sad too! Presumably they hook around the bottom of the tailgate now?

I understand the trepidation, it took me a while to pluck up the courage! If you don’t intend to climb it that often and you weigh less than my 85kg (maybe more after Christmas!) the temporary fixing kit that’s included may work for you. The weight bearing bracket is fixed to the top of the tailgate using the hinge bolts so no drilling required and can be removed without damaging the tailgate in any way.

Even with fairly heavy use the Velcro fixing held up quite well but eventually started to pull away. I could have just replaced the Velcro but in my case I figured that I’m not planning on selling my Cali anytime soon and even if I did I’d leave it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am 80kg even after Christmas, so all good in that department.
I intend to use it not so often, mainly for getting up and down the inflated paddle board on the roof rack bars, but I suppose primarily I love the colour and look of it.
thanks a lot for the useful info, I will get a deeper look on it, and might find some nuts around to drill it when needed :)))
I will also intend to keep the van for veeery long, if not for ever as I am not attracted at all by the T7 multivan california, and not a fan of VW/FORD project.

Do you know when the latest gen came out, with the revised lower bracket?

I have sourced a used one, just want to check which attachment it has.

Really, that makes sense and also makes me a little sad too! Presumably they hook around the bottom of the tailgate now?

Hi yes two bolts at the bottom you tighten up which clamps to the bottom of the tail gate you can bolt as well but it’s solid without.I did cut the Crome trim
IMG_0528.jpeg