Miserable

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Had Albert all packed up and ready to go .... 4 days in East Anglia,

Went to a funeral, came back home, waiting on a parcel due to be delivered so with an hour to kill went for a run ...

2.67 k's ... going well ..... SNAP!

Calf muscle tear ... can't put any weight on my leg, move my ankle ... nothing ...:(

No driving for at least a week :sad:(

Pass the kleenex someone ...

Oh no, you sure you've not snapped your achilles?

No, mid calf, stopped for a car coming the other way, probably stepped awkwardly to the side and camber pulled on my leg. Felt my leg go into spasm, started to walk then felt the sharp pain that happens when a muscle tears ...

Can't flex my ankle now,

Seeing physio tomorrow, but from experience it takes a week or so to release from spasm ..

If you mean you can't point your toe it could a snapped tendon. You'll also have a lump mid-calf where the muscle has bunched up. Hope it gets better.

You can always sleep in Albert on the drive and pretend to be somewhere else:D
Get well soon , Jen ;)

Where is the 'oh bugger, sorry to hear that' button when you need one? Get better soon.

You can always sleep in Albert on the drive and pretend to be somewhere else:D
Get well soon , Jen ;)

Thank you Wim x

I'm hoping my sister will drive me to the physio in Albert ... we can still be one together in my moments of misery:D

When my wife had broke her foot in three places , the physio came to our house...:)

When my wife had broke her foot in three places , the physio came to our house...:)

I was told 20 years ago that my running days were over so I have to find a physio that talks to me nicely ...

I'm running out of options :D

Ouch, hope it's not too serious and you are back on the road soon.

Oh no! Terrible news; I hope the physio can work some magic and get you back running (and, most importantly, driving) soon!

Maud

Sorry to hear that Jen, I take it that it's your right leg otherwise you could have managed with the auto transmission.

Does this mean we'll all have nothing to read for a week now, or do you have some back up tales?

Colin

I feel for you I'm supposed to be training for a marathon and pulled my back lifting concrete blocks I'm sure that your right that its a gastocnemus tear not Achilles tendon tear but even those can take a while to mend

GrannyJen,

:headbang :( and :headbang again!

That does sound like you have torn the Achilles badly and if so you will need surgery and a cast. Don't delay getting diagnosis and treatment.

GrannyJen,

:headbang :( and :headbang again!

That does sound like you have torn the Achilles badly and if so you will need surgery and a cast. Don't delay getting diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you Noeleen :D

It is not the achilles ... I tore that in 2000 training for the London marathon :oops:

This is upper calf, but the spasm is locking up the lower calf and making flexing the ankle excruciatingly painful.

It is most disagreeable but I no longer have a disagree icon to express my disagreement :shocked

Had Albert all packed up and ready to go .... 4 days in East Anglia,

Went to a funeral, came back home, waiting on a parcel due to be delivered so with an hour to kill went for a run ...

2.67 k's ... going well ..... SNAP!

Calf muscle tear ... can't put any weight on my leg, move my ankle ... nothing ...:(

No driving for at least a week :sad:(

Pass the kleenex someone ...
Oh no you have my sympathy.....I managed to slip over on a tube platform a year ago and ended up with severe plantar fascitis, was facing a big op for it , no weight bearing / driving / working for 6 weeks but have managed to avoid it with weekly private physio. Don't hesitate to get it seen to at the earliest opportunity. And sleeping on the drive can be fun.....

"It is most disagreeable but I no longer have a disagree icon to express my disagreement :shocked"

See?

Sometimes we need to positively express disagreement! I know you agree with that!

Seriously though, if it's upper calf it is hopefully muscle fibres rather than tendon. Lashings of ice, anti-inflammatories, and see a good physio.

Best wishes for speedy recovery

Last edited:
"It is most disagreeable but I no longer have a disagree icon to express my disagreement :shocked"

See?

Sometimes we need to positively express disagreement! I know you agree with that!

Seriously though, if it's upper calf it is hopefully muscle fibres rather than tendon. Lashings of ice, anti-inflammatories, and see a good physio.

Best wishes for speedy recovery

It's definitely the Gastroc. normally takes me a couple of weeks with physio. Wine has helped tonight. Hobbling to get the bottle is part of my Optimal Loading regime :oops:

Sorry to hear that Jen, I take it that it's your right leg otherwise you could have managed with the auto transmission.

Does this mean we'll all have nothing to read for a week now, or do you have some back up tales?

Colin

NOTHING interferes with my ability to talk ..

Past students would have offered a research grant to anyone offering even a glimmer of hope :shocked

Thank you for all the good wishes for a speedy recovery :happy

Albert is looking terribly forlorn ..

Could be soleus rather than gastrocnemius anyway what ever it is get some ICE on it elevate it and do necessary ankle twirls to stop a Deep Vein thrombosis forming.
I always have ICE in my Cali- the fridge freezes everything so very convenient, also have a Gin and Tonic
Second new Cali DSG180 Blue motion 4WD etc etc boring grey

It's gastroc ... a tear.

Fortunately first 48 hours of RICE minimised the damage, rest until I see physio again on Tuesday then possibly some light stretching ....

Occupying myself stripping everything out of Albert and repacking. Just ordered half a dozen new plastic boxes, new camping gaz grill, 12V slow cooker, probably treat myself to some new bedding, j

My grandchildren are here, bless them. Dog is covered in strawberry jam, nice sticky fingermarks all over my I Pad, pedal car just collided with a pile of plastic boxes stripped out of Albert ...

Oh joys. I think I'm turning into Victoria Meldrew.

:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad:sad