Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

mishap

GMC - DUKW

Used to be " Officer i/c " of one at RAF Masirah. Officially it was used to off-load certain items from the annual supply ship, unofficially the DUKW Club used it for shark fishing.

What an interesting collection of videos. I was particularly impressed by the drivers ability to remotely adjust the tyre pressures on the later models.

I believe there are one or two still being used for tourists on the Thames or is it Liverpool?

What an interesting collection of videos. I was particularly impressed by the drivers ability to remotely adjust the tyre pressures on the later models.

I believe there are one or two still being used for tourists on the Thames or is it Liverpool?
I think both places have them, certainly London has. Ideal for shark fishing. Used to give the locals the sharks we caught as it was a delicacy for them.

I have gone from one extreme to the other with my vehicles. In the 80's I had a Peugeot 205 petrol 1360cc that would stop working if I splashed through a puddle! The distributor was down by the nearside wheel. My Defender on the other hand has taken me through still water 2' deep. Raised air intake, sealed pipes and air filter, breather pipes from all diffs and plugs in gearbox and transfer box. It also has raised suspension and no electronics.
Like all the advice above, if you are in any doubt about your ability or the vehicles ability, don't go through water. It is vital that you know where your air intake and electrics are. Never go through at speed. If you do go through, it is a big risk you are taking for the wefare of the vehicle and it's occupants. I would not go through any water higher than the height of the tyre from ground to wheel and only for a short distance. Try to create a small bow wave as it causes a depression under the vehicle reducing the risk of water intake to engine or electrics.

Just needs a pop top and wind out awning and it would be perfect. Would love the debate on whether you'd be better off with 7, 5 or 4 seats, and which boxes for best in the back...

A mate has one. Good fun, but 4mpg and 40mph max dulls the attraction somewhat.
Also easy to get into the situation where if you were to get stuck you need some proper heavy duty recovery kit, not just a tow rope and a landy to pull you out.

An Alvis Stalwart has to be the perfect vehicle for damp conditions:

They also look fantastic.

I wonder if there are any "sea worthy" examples still around sporting operational swim gear?
I used to have 25 of those under my command. One of the best high mobility vehicles ever built, with permanent six wheel drive. The vectored thrust swim capability was later taken off the ones in operational service but they could still cross a river quite happily using the rotation of the road wheels to drag them through the water. And the sound of them was utterly fabulous - a burbling Rolls Royce straight eight petrol engine.

I used to have 25 of those under my command. One of the best high mobility vehicles ever built, with permanent six wheel drive. The vectored thrust swim capability was later taken off the ones in operational service but they could still cross a river quite happily using the rotation of the road wheels to drag them through the water. And the sound of them was utterly fabulous - a burbling Rolls Royce straight eight petrol engine.
Is it true that their achille's heel was the abilty to wind up the several gearboxes when turning on surfaces where the wheels couldn't slip a little and that this often resulted in stripped gears?

I find it interesting that the military then had four vehicles based on this or a similar chassis:

Stalwart - six wheeled 5 tonne amphibious all terrain lorry.
Saracen - six wheeled armoured personnel carrier.
Saladin - six wheeled armoured car.
Salamander - six wheeled fire tender.

However the Stalwart is by far the most interesting. A five tonner that can swim!

All were made in the same era in which Britain produced all sorts of interesting and competing designs e.g Valliant, Victor and Vulcan V Bombers.

As an aside, we used to have Dennis Fire Engines that were powered by the straight eight Rolls- Royce petrol engine. They sounded like a turbine and went like the wind. Alas the brakes weren't a good match.

Is it true that their achille's heel was the abilty to wind up the several gearboxes when turning on surfaces where the wheels couldn't slip a little and that this often resulted in stripped gears?

I find it interesting that the military then had four vehicles based on this or a similar chassis:

Stalwart - six wheeled 5 tonne amphibious all terrain lorry.
Saracen - six wheeled armoured personnel carrier.
Saladin - six wheeled armoured car.
Salamander - six wheeled fire tender.

However the Stalwart is by far the most interesting. A five tonner that can swim!

All were made in the same era in which Britain produced all sorts of interesting and competing designs e.g Valliant, Victor and Vulcan V Bombers.

As an aside, we used to have Dennis Fire Engines that were powered by the straight eight Rolls- Royce petrol engine. They sounded like a turbine and went like the wind. Alas the brakes weren't a good match.
Yes the Stalwart was prone to final drive bevel box troubles due to axle wind up if driven only on grippy surfaces. The lads had various tricks to counter that like hopping up onto kerbs and the road verge (despite the damage that caused to the pristine German verges). The best excuse of all was: "sir I just need to come back via the tank training area to fix the axle wind-up on 24-06". Where they'd then get into cross-country races against Bundeswehr Leopard tanks.

The '5 tonne' designation of the Stalwart refers to its weight carrying capacity, all-up it was about 14 tonnes but felt pretty nimble especially empty. Until something broke, then the whole load had to be removed to get at the engine compartment.

The Saracen seemed for some reason to suffer less from axle problems even when driven purely on roads in Northern Ireland. Although about the same weight (about 13 tons with the extra anti-RPG armour known as "Kremlin mesh") it felt much less agile than a Stolly, probably due to the gearing. It had a pre-selector gearbox that threw your left knee into the sharp corner of the radio mount frame with some force if you hit a false neutral on the pedal. Because of the tyres on it it was completely awful to drive on a slippery road. One of my lads lost control of one downhill on a frosty Belfast morning and took out about five cars on the way down. Another triumph for hearts-and-minds.

Dennis, that's a fab name from British automotive history and my memory is that all British fire engines had Dennis on the front although that's no doubt incorrect. One of my favourite toys was a Corgi Simon Snorkel but I don't know if that was a Dennis.

London still going

Yes, I was comparing it's impressive 5 tonne pay load capacity to that of the 2.5 tonne DUKW.
Yes the Stalwart was prone to final drive bevel box troubles due to axle wind up if driven only on grippy surfaces. The lads had various tricks to counter that like hopping up onto kerbs and the road verge (despite the damage that caused to the pristine German verges). The best excuse of all was: "sir I just need to come back via the tank training area to fix the axle wind-up on 24-06". Where they'd then get into cross-country races against Bundeswehr Leopard tanks.

The '5 tonne' designation of the Stalwart refers to its weight carrying capacity, all-up it was about 14 tonnes but felt pretty nimble especially empty. Until something broke, then the whole load had to be removed to get at the engine compartment.

The Saracen seemed for some reason to suffer less from axle problems even when driven purely on roads in Northern Ireland. Although about the same weight (about 13 tons with the extra anti-RPG armour known as "Kremlin mesh") it felt much less agile than a Stolly, probably due to the gearing. It had a pre-selector gearbox that threw your left knee into the sharp corner of the radio mount frame with some force if you hit a false neutral on the pedal. Because of the tyres on it it was completely awful to drive on a slippery road. One of my lads lost control of one downhill on a frosty Belfast morning and took out about five cars on the way down. Another triumph for hearts-and-minds.

Dennis, that's a fab name from British automotive history and my memory is that all British fire engines had Dennis on the front although that's no doubt incorrect. One of my favourite toys was a Corgi Simon Snorkel but I don't know if that was a Dennis.
:thumb Fantastic post. I want a Stolly!

Yes, I was comparing it's impressive 5 tonne pay load capacity to that of the 2.5 tonne DUKW.

:thumb Fantastic post. I want a Stolly!
In the 1960s a soldier 'borrowed' one and tried to swim the Channel with it. It's said he entered the water somewhere around Zeebrugge but ended up back onshore at Calais where he was apprehended (sea navigation not being covered in Army basic training).

Back