Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

mishap

Lots of fords locally, the depth is normally marked by a gauge, if in doubt stop and observe, a brave/reckless soul will go for it soon enough, easily the best depth indicator is another car.
Slow is pro in these circumstances, probably.
i agree entirely, as you can see from the youtube link its not a huge ford and has a concrete base to it. i think the last bit is the issue as it seems to get deeper as you come out and thats when the t6 is at its lowest and scoops it up. Normally this ford is just a trickle but the far side had filled up with the recent rain and that was my downfall. I had a smart car once and lost the belly pan in a flood so i know its easy to do and yet here we are.

Then a handy coracle
Apparently, the photographer came in for a lot of criticism from the Chinese public for waiting for hours to get the perfect shot of a hapless cyclist hitting the submerged pot hole. The photographer argued that he wanted to highlight the dangers of unrepaired roads, and standing up to his ankles in the water to warn passing cyclists of the hazard would have little effect on getting the road repaired.

I'm not going to judge the ethics, but I do think that the photographer got a series of three marvellous shots.

chinese_bicyclist_01.jpg

chinese_bicyclist_02.jpg

chinese_bicyclist_03.jpg

Apparently, the photographer came in for a lot of criticism from the Chinese public for waiting for hours to get the perfect shot of a hapless cyclist hitting the submerged pot hole. The photographer argued that he wanted to highlight the dangers of unrepaired roads, and standing up to his ankles in the water to warn passing cyclists of the hazard would have little effect on getting the road repaired.

I'm not going to judge the ethics, but I do think that the photographer got a series of three marvellous shots.

View attachment 76302

View attachment 76300

View attachment 76301
Impossible to let go of something you're holding when you're falling...hang on for dear life!

I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube rebuild an Audi v8 engine which had drunk some water. Water isn’t keen on being compressed and bent a con rod.
That's what happened with my friends' X5. Recovery driver said he had been very busy collecting flooded BMW's, very low air intake apparently.

That's what happened with my friends' X5. Recovery driver said he had been very busy collecting flooded BMW's, very low air intake apparently.
My mate had his BMW 4 series written off waiting at a flooded road when an idiot came the other way forcing water through the front of the beemer and it’s low air intake. As a mechanic he bought it back off insurance company and rebuilt it. Win win.

Had a little trip out to Frensham yesterday. For those of you that know the area the ford was quite full but not that full so seemed safe to go through. We pressed on and when the water was halfway up the screen started to think it may have been a mistake. I think it was just a bow wave that worked its way up the front of the van as it really wasn't that deep. And i had just washed and waxed it. Any way as we drove away large scrapping noise from front. Oh bugger!!! we pulled up by the timber yard and had a look. Number plate had fallen off and was dragging along the ground by one screw. The noise it made up through the van was Horrible. Luckily the plate was not damaged so found some double sided in the boot and a couple of self tappers to put it back on. No other problems so off home for a cuppa. Just shows how simple things can change your day.
Need to be careful when driving through deepish puddles. There is a known issue where the water forces the plastic underside panel to become dislodged at the rear of the front wheels. This then causes the plastic panel to scrape along the road and again makes a horrible grinding noise. This has happened twice to me now. I now carry a bungie cord in case it happens and I can tie the panel up.

I do like a ford. Great way to head off the beaten track and break up a long journey. This website has them all listed.

http://www.wetroads.co.uk

The depth of this one took me a little by surprise but no harm done.
EF857742-9C1E-41BA-9F09-3509B17A13A1.jpeg

This one is not far from me. A public road but not one for the cali.

This is a major event in my town.
Every winter the crowds gather to watch the Fords next victim.
Guaranteed front page of the Gazette. A middle-aged cocky git sitting on the roof of his Range Rover in 7ft of flood water...
The more expensive the car, the more crowds love it .

We’ve had signs for years, but they all know better...:D

At least there are no alligators waiting for a meal.

At least there are no alligators waiting for a meal.

This made me laugh.
Majority of people stuck in our Ford, usually drive a pickup truck or van. Late twenties to early 50s, male.
I can’t ever recall seeing a female stuck, in all these years...

In Iceland our bus driver said "If you can't walk it don't drive it"

Just watched that, hysterical how some people actually do enter the water cautiously... then accelerate!
People enter slowly and then begin to panic as the bow wave rises, accelerate and then ensure that they have made the problem worse. Less than walking speed would be advisable, but there remains other damage potential (ingestion of water through dif breathers etc.). Don't use your expensive vehicle for fording! If you wouldn't walk it in ankle boots don't drive it.

If you drive through deep water correctly, the water shouldn't even touch the bonnet.
Hope you had your fording plug fitted too.

You might think that floodwater is safer on a bicycle. Not true...

575a272bd4eb2ae86addd523f0d873e8.jpg
Was that you on the bike? :rolleyes:

Nuts! Don't people value their vehicles? There are cheaper ways of having fun without risking a £40-70K vehicle!!

Nuts! Don't people value their vehicles? There are cheaper ways of having fun without risking a £40-70K vehicle!!
The thing is many people don't realise that if the water enters the passenger compartment it will in many vehicles, play havoc with complex electrical systems. A quick splash through a ford shouldn't present any problems but as the video shows there are many people who have a rather cavalier attitude to risk assessment. It's either that or they just have zero awareness of the dangers.

Beware, the engine might still be working but electrical components that are often located under the carpets, will rapidly become effected, causing all sorts of weird anomalies that will end up being mega expensive to rectify. Such damage may even write off the vehicle. Door seals may help to slow down water ingress but in reality it will get inside regardless. If you want something that's watertight then buy a submarine not a car.

Personally, I try to avoid flood water if at all possible but on those rare occasions where there's been no alternative I have taken the following course of action:

1.Enter the water very slowly with the drivers door open. That way you can keep an eye on the precise depth. Keep the door firmly shut if other vehicles are causing bow waves. Peer out of the open window instead although you won't be able to gauge the depth quite so well.
2. If the water level gets anywhere near the top of the sills then that's quite deep enough.
3. Keep the engine running at all times to avoid the water entering the exhaust system.
4. If in doubt back out.

Others might have different preferred methods. It doesn't matter what they are as long as you and your vehicle emerge unscathed.

IMO it's always a good idea to know at what level your air intake point is located.

If you miss the Ferry.

An Alvis Stalwart has to be the perfect vehicle for damp conditions:

They also look fantastic.

I wonder if there are any "sea worthy" examples still around sporting operational swim gear?

Last edited:

I wonder if there are any "sea worthy" examples still around sporting operational swim gear?
GMC - DUKW

Used to be " Officer i/c " of one at RAF Masirah. Officially it was used to off-load certain items from the annual supply ship, unofficially the DUKW Club used it for shark fishing.

Just needs a pop top and wind out awning and it would be perfect. Would love the debate on whether you'd be better off with 7, 5 or 4 seats, and which boxes for best in the back...

Pretty sure there was once a public information film on negotiating a ford?

Back