Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Most important accessories for new Beach?

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hopefully will be getting a Beach soon and wanted to ask what the top few must have accessories were? Highly likely I wont have much money after the purchase so can't go too crazy to start with!

I guess a fridge is a must have to sit under the shelf, which one wins for size / price / power usage?
The Beach I'm looking at comes with the VW comfort mattress. Is that good enough or does it need a topper?
Anything else to consider?

Not immediately essential but also going to need to get some good fitting dark grey seat covers, are Brandrup the ones to get?

Many thanks for any advice!

Regarding the seat covers, Brandrup ones are the best.
Buy once and forget about the price, the quality shines through.

Hopefully will be getting a Beach soon and wanted to ask what the top few must have accessories were? Highly likely I wont have much money after the purchase so can't go too crazy to start with!

I guess a fridge is a must have to sit under the shelf, which one wins for size / price / power usage?
The Beach I'm looking at comes with the VW comfort mattress. Is that good enough or does it need a topper?
Anything else to consider?

Not immediately essential but also going to need to get some good fitting dark grey seat covers, are Brandrup the ones to get?

Many thanks for any advice!

If you want quality advice you need to give us more information than that.
- single
- couple
- family (ages of children)
- pets
- how you intend to use your van

If you want quality advice you need to give us more information than that.
- single
- couple
- family (ages of children)
- pets
- how you intend to use your van
Of course. Family of 4 (no pets), kids 12 and 8. Van will be used for day to day use going to work/ferrying kids about etc, short weekend breaks and also a week or two away each year.

Of course. Family of 4 (no pets), kids 12 and 8. Van will be used for day to day use going to work/ferrying kids about etc, short weekend breaks and also a week or two away each year.
Compressor fridge - not a thermoelectric cool box. 25 litres minimum capacity. With the bench seat slid into the position on the rails for lowering into a bed it can be strapped behind the front passenger seat.

Cadac gas BBQ.

Vanessa window bags

4 x 24cm Muji drawers fit perfectly under the multi-flex.

Seat covers. Jackyards have a nautical feel but very expensive.

For extended camping without hookup, solar panels on the roof.

In stormy or snowy weather an external topper will keep you warm and dry but needs fitting and removing each use. In cold weather an internal liner will keep you warm and is fit and forget.

Can I ask please what the other dimensions of the muji drawers are? Thanks

Hello Roc1,
There are lots of popular accessories for the Beach including window bags, topper or internal roof liner, pull out tray, compressor fridge/freezer to name but a few. Most are expensive but very nice to have, making the Beach very comfortable and easy to use.

However, I think for anyone buying their first Beach the best advice to give is to just get out and use it with stuff you have at home. Some find the VW Comfort mattress very firm but you'll need to find out for yourself before deciding what's needed, if anything. Take a double duvet to sleep on just in case you find the bed too hard and another to sleep beneath. A cool box with freezer blocks will do just fine for a two night break in order to try out the van. By doing this you should discover what your priorities are. Once you know precisely what you need then ask again and you will get lots of good advice on specific products.

It's possible to spend a lot on various accessories so it's best to be certain what you actually need.

Good luck.

Last edited:
We are very happy with the VW comfort mattress so far. We’ve only done 8-10 nights so far and half of them have been on the drive(!) but We aren’t planning to buy a topper.

We have the VW seat covers. They do the job well (waterproof and wipe clean etc- didn’t have to worry this afternoon when the kids were eating flaky chocolate croissant!) but I have seen nicer looking ones on others peoples photos! Reasonably priced and were pretty easy to fit ourselves.

Haven’t bought a fridge yet but plan to...

We are looking into an external cover, not just for the winter insulation but also to darken the top tent on these light, sunny mornings. Price has meant we haven’t purchased one yet.

Don’t forget hook-up cable and attachment!

We are very happy with the VW comfort mattress so far. We’ve only done 8-10 nights so far and half of them have been on the drive(!) but We aren’t planning to buy a topper.

We have the VW seat covers. They do the job well (waterproof and wipe clean etc- didn’t have to worry this afternoon when the kids were eating flaky chocolate croissant!) but I have seen nicer looking ones on others peoples photos! Reasonably priced and were pretty easy to fit ourselves.

Haven’t bought a fridge yet but plan to...

We are looking into an external cover, not just for the winter insulation but also to darken the top tent on these light, sunny mornings. Price has meant we haven’t purchased one yet.

Don’t forget hook-up cable and attachment!
You've hit on a good point there. We also fitted INKA waterproof seat covers before we left the dealers. They don't cost a fortune and they save the interior if you have kids or dogs. So that's something to have from day one.

Hello Roc1,
There are lots of popular accessories for the Beach including window bags, topper or internal roof liner, pull out tray, compressor fridge/freezer to name but a few. Most are expensive but very nice to have, making the Beach very comfortable and easy to use.

However, I think for anyone buying their first Beach the best advice to give is to just get out and use it with stuff you have at home. Some find the VW Comfort mattress very firm but you'll need to find out for yourself before deciding what's needed, if anything. Take a double duvet to sleep on just in case you find the bed too hard and another to sleep beneath. A cool box with freezer blocks will do just fine for a two night break in order to try out the van. By doing this you should discover what your priorities are. Once you know precisely what you need then ask again and you will get lots of good advice on specific products.

It's possible to spend a lot on various accessories so it's best to be certain what you actually need.

Good luck.
Thanks Borris great advice we'll keep it simple to start with and build it up from there.

We have the comfort mattress. It’s ok. Firm as others have said. Too firm for me so I got Duvalay 2.5cm toppers. I didn’t want to be blowing up and deflating mats. They are bulky, and add some comfort, and are quick to roll out and put away, but don’t solve it completely. Not sure I’d buy them again.

I now have a boot full of mattress and toppers and still the bed is just okay. So not sure what the answer is really! The comfort mattress does make the 3 seat bench flat. And that is a good thing because it’s nothing like a 2 seat beach or ocean bed in that it’s not at all flat.

Fridge changed our camping experience. There’s a review I wrote on here somewhere for the Outwell deepcool if you are looking for a more budget option. I love having a fridge after years of using cool boxes it transforms the way you pack and camp and shop for food.

Don’t go too big though. With kids that boot soon fills up unbelievable as that may seem when you look at it empty!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the comfort mattress. It’s ok. Firm as others have said. Too firm for me so I got Duvalay 2.5cm toppers. I didn’t want to be blowing up and deflating mats. They are bulky, and add some comfort, and are quick to roll out and put away, but don’t solve it completely. Not sure I’d buy them again.

I now have a boot full of mattress and toppers and still the bed is just okay. So not sure what the answer is really! The comfort mattress does make the 3 seat bench flat. And that is a good thing because it’s nothing like a 2 seat beach or ocean bed in that it’s not at all flat.

Fridge changed our camping experience. There’s a review I wrote on here somewhere for the Outwell deepcool if you are looking for a more budget option. I love having a fridge after years of using cool boxes it transforms the way you pack and camp and shop for food.

Don’t go too big though. With kids that boot soon fills up unbelievable as that may seem when you look at it empty!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah that Outwell is def more wallet friendly!