Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 Beach - help

Thank you for all the very useful info and opinions so far.

I have one last question. Interior - Alcantara vs cloth. I generally prefer leather interiors and the alcantara looks half fake leather, half alcantara.

Can you get alcantara in titanium black? The configurator says yes but then the pictures only show light grey
Is alcantara a good idea for camping or does it get hot?

Is cloth a better idea?

Brandrup second covers - are these a good idea?

Thanks!

Hi,

I know this post was a couple of weeks ago but just reading now. Some interesting points and comments.

To add:

To get alcantara seats you must add comfort dash and larger radio screen (or more expensive sat nav). These two add ons take the cost up quite a bit (seats plus these two add on items that vw make you have take cost to over £2,000 extra than cloth). I found I could add swivel with no issue as standard. However, on line it made me add heated seats (but the dealer said this was not required so unsure what I will get). I added alcantara in moonrock to my order.

I didn't order the auxiliary heater. I don't think I will use van in cold weather that much to sleep in and if I do il wrap myself up well. Of note, by adding comfort dash you also get climate control which has a rest function that heats van for about 30 mins after it's been driven (another thread in this recently).

For what it's worth I haven't added awning. Maybe regretting this and might add to order tomorrow (only ordered last week). My reservations are extra weight and less areo dynamic as one. Other is I'm not convinced will be used much and think better off buying a tent to attach to the side of van instead (van comes with awning fitting and tent adaptor as standard I believe).

Lastly, I went for petrol. Is manual as no Auto available uk. If there was an auto I would have order it.

Did you order one and if so what did you decide?

It's worth mentioning that the heater isn't just about heat when sleeping. We use it much more during the day, e.g. going to the beach in winter, coming back to a warm van, and having lunch :)

Hi,

I know this post was a couple of weeks ago but just reading now. Some interesting points and comments.

To add:

To get alcantara seats you must add comfort dash and larger radio screen (or more expensive sat nav). These two add ons take the cost up quite a bit (seats plus these two add on items that vw make you have take cost to over £2,000 extra than cloth). I found I could add swivel with no issue as standard. However, on line it made me add heated seats (but the dealer said this was not required so unsure what I will get). I added alcantara in moonrock to my order.

I didn't order the auxiliary heater. I don't think I will use van in cold weather that much to sleep in and if I do il wrap myself up well. Of note, by adding comfort dash you also get climate control which has a rest function that heats van for about 30 mins after it's been driven (another thread in this recently).

For what it's worth I haven't added awning. Maybe regretting this and might add to order tomorrow (only ordered last week). My reservations are extra weight and less areo dynamic as one. Other is I'm not convinced will be used much and think better off buying a tent to attach to the side of van instead (van comes with awning fitting and tent adaptor as standard I believe).

Lastly, I went for petrol. Is manual as no Auto available uk. If there was an auto I would have order it.

Not yet, but it's looking like it's going to be a pretty much fully loaded Beach. It wasn't until this thread recommended pretty much everything! :D

Hoping to get my order in before then end of the year. I decided on diesel as you cant get the aux heater with the petrol, but I'm sure I could change my mind a dozen times before I key in my pin number for the deposit!

Not yet, but it's looking like it's going to be a pretty much fully loaded Beach. It wasn't until this thread recommended pretty much everything! :D

Hoping to get my order in before then end of the year. I decided on diesel as you cant get the aux heater with the petrol, but I'm sure I could change my mind a dozen times before I key in my pin number for the deposit!

Yeah I know what you mean with regards to spec.

I thought you could add heater for overnight on petrol: is listed in petrol options as programmable air parking heater with remote control and is about £2,000.

Hi,

Your brave.
I’ve had a Petrol Caravelle for nearly 6 weeks.
I absolutely can’t wait to give it back. Really missing my diesel, sick of petrol station visits with this petrol.
If I was ordering again, it would be diesel...!!!

BDB0266B-1697-4B6E-82EE-5954004A9F83.jpeg
Yes I noticed that. Hopefully it is available in that colour, as opposed to the light grey that appears in the other pics on the configurator.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi Alex, I got my seats leather upholstered for £2k because of the dog. Carr’s Exeter arranged it prior to collecting it.

My vehicle is a two seater beach. It looks different because I have put my fridge where the side box sits normally, as it’s only me that camps in the van when I’m around the uk working. I find It more handy than the box, and when sophie comes along we put the side box back for the mattress to sit on. We have a slidepod to cook on.

View attachment 27253
Hi Alex, I got my seats leather upholstered for £2k because of the dog. Carr’s Exeter arranged it prior to collecting it.

My vehicle is a two seater beach. It looks different because I have put my fridge where the side box sits normally, as it’s only me that camps in the van when I’m around the uk working. I find It more handy than the box, and when sophie comes along we put the side box back for the mattress to sit on. We have a slidepod to cook on.

I love the peaceful looking interior. Clearly no kids in there! I should post a picture of ours some time. Toy cars and drawing stuff everywhere!

Your brave.
I’ve had a Petrol Caravelle for nearly 6 weeks.
I absolutely can’t wait to give it back. Really missing my diesel, sick of petrol station visits with this petrol.
If I was ordering again, it would be diesel...!!!

I would agree petrol is not for you if filling up that much. Did your situation change? To be sick of petrol stations after 6 weeks you must fill up at least twice a week (12 visits).

I drive short journeys and drive over 40mph twice a year at most so will unlikely get sick of petrol/fuel stations in that time.

Everyone has indervidual reasons for choice of fuel. So long as you educate yourself and pick engine to suit what you need then I would not call it a brave decision.

View attachment 27253

Nice.

I've never understood why VW don't offer full leather in a vehicle that will often be used by adults, kids, dogs in conjunction with all sorts of muddy out doorsy activities. Leather is so much more practical than the standard cloth seat covers as it can withstand a lot more punishment and is easily wiped clean.

We have a seven seater beach which employs exactly the same seats as fitted in the Caravelle. You can order full leather in the Caravelle but not in the Beach. That's just plain stupid.

I would agree petrol is not for you if filling up that much. Did your situation change? To be sick of petrol stations after 6 weeks you must fill up at least twice a week (12 visits).

I drive short journeys and drive over 40mph twice a year at most so will unlikely get sick of petrol/fuel stations in that time.

Everyone has indervidual reasons for choice of fuel. So long as you educate yourself and pick engine to suit what you need then I would not call it a brave decision.
Definitely the correct choice for you if you undertake frequent short journeys. At least you won't have the DPF woes that low milage and low speeds will definitely bring.

Ive just been to down to Brighton for the day.
Avg fuel consumption 25mpg. Its not just the poor fuel consumption. I think it really lacks torque, its so disappointing.
I had to change down gear quite a few times on the motorway and work it hard to get back to speed. The diesel has a slight flat spot, but nothing like the petrol.

You have to remember this Caravelle is empty.
Fill it with camping gear, bikes etc and its really going to struggle.

You do realise your buying a touring vehicle, right...???

Yes. We live in jersey. It is 9 miles by 5. 40mph speed limit on a few roads. Most are 30mph and some 15mph.

As mentioned, I plan to take the van To France (<1.5 hours away) or UK (<4.5 hours away) twice a year.

Petrol works well for me. There are other reasons as well for me to choose petrol. One minor one is as daft as I enjoy the smell of petrol.

Avg fuel consumption 25mpg. Its not just the poor fuel consumption. I think it really lacks torque, its so disappointing.
I had to change down gear quite a few times on the motorway and work it hard to get back to speed. The diesel has a slight flat spot, but nothing like the petrol.

i would recommend you sell the petrol. It is not the right vehicle for you.

You do realise you're (your) buying a petrol vehicle, right....??? They are very well known to have low mpg and less torque. You must have been aware of this prior to your Brighton trip. Why the shock?

Yes, it is a touring vehicle. I'm using it for a 10 mins tour to the beach and a sleep overnight. My adventures are minor but I'm happy. it's an upgrade from my Bedford rascal to a susuki carry to a VW.

Thankfully it’s not my van.
I’ve had it on loan whilst the bubbling roof thingy gets sorted on mine.
Can’t wait to get my horribly polluting diesel back.

Sounds like the Petrol is perfect for you.
But please remember, you are a very special case.
If I lived on an island 9m x 5m I would probably own a very nice push bike.

Enjoy.

Hi,

To add:

Interesting how different we all prioritise. You did skip things that for me is essential to a cali. Heater and awning. I would never go without and i think reselling would be hard. They are both much more expencive to retrofit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be fair both could be added later.
But same here, very much essential items. The awning most useful when it’s raining.

Can’t remember the price of the heater fitted, but with the latest round of Volkswagen price increases on options. It may well be worth having it retro fitted at a much cheaper cost.

Yes. We live in jersey. It is 9 miles by 5. 40mph speed limit on a few roads. Most are 30mph and some 15mph.

As mentioned, I plan to take the van To France (<1.5 hours away) or UK (<4.5 hours away) twice a year.

Petrol works well for me. There are other reasons as well for me to choose petrol. One minor one is as daft as I enjoy the smell of petrol.
Do they actually sell a Diesel California on Jersey? Because that would be a recipe for disaster unless only used for trips on the Continent, either France etc: or UK.

Do they actually sell a Diesel California on Jersey? Because that would be a recipe for disaster unless only used for trips on the Continent, either France etc: or UK.

Yes lots of deisel Californias in Jersey. At a guess well over a hundred. I think there is probably more Californias and Caravelles in Jersey per person than the UK. No MOT or road tax in Jersey so many old VW vans driving around as well. Most modern vans leave the island at least once a year I would assume. Mine apparently is the first ordered petrol beach in Jersey.

Hi I am new to the California Beach as just got mine yesterday. Can anybody tell what this is under drivers seat at the back:
26533-a50026048d3a7b487d8c9836e07554dc.jpg

20171129_201334.jpg

OK great I pushed the rubber button but it did not pop out? (Read f in manual I guess)

Back