Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Understanding batteries

B

Bubble

VIP Member
Hi

Just had some DVD headrests & a head unit fitted.. All singing & dancing so that I can put my feet up & watch bbc iplayer when I arrive on site.
Everything is powered from the starter battery so it seems to me that it won't take long to flatten the battery unless the engine is running !
However If i turn the key to ignition "on" will that link my starter battery to the 2 leisure batteries & share the drain ? Also wondering if I hooked up to 240v would this also charge all three batteries.

Any help would be appreciated as having he engine running kind of takes th shine off it a bit lol

Why don't you plug your DVD system to the leisure batteries?

Hi

Not sure ? But the headrests consume power even on standby so it was advised to have them wired to the ignition along with the head unit! Also you know how some fitters are.. You ask them to do something a little none standard & it seems like an impossible task ha ha.

Bubble said:
Hi

Not sure ? But the headrests consume power even on standby so it was advised to have them wired to the ignition along with the head unit! Also you know how some fitters are.. You ask them to do something a little none standard & it seems like an impossible task ha ha.

HI bubble ...i wouldn't even chance it having the dvd/tv hooked upto the main cali battery ....the less that drains that battery the better to be truthful .... nothing worse than a cali not starting :oops: .....they could something inline on the leisure battery setup to stop the headrests from draining the battery ...not sure their way of thinking :headbang

Bubble said:
Hi

Sorry, but the fitters made a bullshit job. For the very reason of constant battery drain, it is an obvious sollution to have them connected to leisure batteries. Also they should install the main power off switch for longer stay. They could use the wiring under the left side seat or the lighter socket behind it, to take the power from.
Additional benefit would be that you have the power consumption indication on the central display, like you have for the heating and internal lights.
I am sure somebody can easily re-wire this.

Bubble said:
Also wondering if I hooked up to 240v would this also charge all three
Yes, when the Cali's on hook-up all three batteries will get some charge.

drmanhattan said:
Bubble said:

Only in the FL version though

Andresz said:
drmanhattan said:
Bubble said:

2007 model year on will charge the main battery also. Certainly true for my 2009 and my brothers earlier model.

SimplyDubs said:
Andresz said:
drmanhattan said:
Bubble said:

2007 model year on will charge the main battery also. Certainly true for my 2009 and my brothers earlier model.

Yep same with my 2009.
I had my pioneer sat nav head unit wired to the Leisure battery. I've had a flat engine battery just from using the electric side door too much so def wouldn't want to be running TV's off it.
I had a switch fitted to the base of the passenger seat, once I'm set up on site I flick the switch and it swaps the power from the engine battery to the leisure battery.
Cost no more than 80 quid, any half decent auto electrician should be able to do it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

When you think about it logically it makes sense... Looks like another trip to the auto electrician.
Rather that than a flat battery...
Is it possible to bump an automatic by the way as this was brought up in conversation the other day ?

Bubble said:
Thanks

When you think about it logically it makes sense... Looks like another trip to the auto electrician.
Rather that than a flat battery...
Is it possible to bump an automatic by the way as this was brought up in conversation the other day ?

Wouldn't like to try and bump start a fully loaded Cali with only me pushing it and the wife at the wheel :-( ...
Better to get it sorted sooner than later bubble :)

Bubble said:
Hi

... If i turn the key to ignition "on" will that link my starter battery to the 2 leisure batteries & share the drain ?

out exactly when the cut over was.Not sure if this specific has been answered or , but no, the leisure batteries won't help out the starter battery or vice versa; the two circuits work in isolation from each other except for the charging

I suppose that makes sense as leisure batteries are designed to produce a slow releasing power not like a starter battery.. Linking them other than for charging purposes wouldn't be practical ?? I think :crazy