Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multimedia BT alternative for RNS units?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I don't have BT or MDI interface on my RNS 315 but I just found this solution online.

http://www.dension.com/products#car-multimedia-solutions

Has anyone used them? They seem far more affordable than the VW alternatives and offer all the functionality. Has anyone used them or tried them? The only downside I expect will be the lack of integrated ports in the glove box to give a factory look?

At the moment the top one that is both MDI and BT devicein one, is cheaper than the BT or MDI options alone from VW.

Any thoughts?

From reading online it seems these can cause power drains as they prevent the stereo from properly shutting down. Haven't found any positive evidence of them being fine in a Cali yet.

At that price, I might consider getting a new unit. I just picked up a Pioneer CarPlay unit for £200 (for my Golf), thought Sat Nav is not as reliable as the VW unit.

The carplay units are very tempting except for the lack of Dab, I am sure that will come at some point?

Something like hte pioneer or alpine is very tempting. Im a gadget person and the feeling that my van is running old media tech grates on me ;)

One thing is for sure however, smart tech goes obsolete very quickly, that is my only concern. In 3 or 5 years time will I still be able to use my carplay with the phone I have then?

The carplay units are very tempting except for the lack of Dab, I am sure that will come at some point?

Something like hte pioneer or alpine is very tempting. Im a gadget person and the feeling that my van is running old media tech grates on me ;)

One thing is for sure however, smart tech goes obsolete very quickly, that is my only concern. In 3 or 5 years time will I still be able to use my carplay with the phone I have then?

Hey Matt,

I agree about DAB, my Golf didn't have this anyway, however the BBC funded Radio App works really well, obviously relying on phone connection.

Considering the price on the Pioneer unit, around £200ish, to get Sat Nav, Voice Control, Digital Radio (albeit phone reception), Bluetooth Hands Free, full iPhone control, Spotify, Podcasts. USB input which plays all video formats, Mirror Link.

Not sure if it'll be the best thing in 5 years time, but 5 years is a lifetime in tech these day, will anyone be using the same phone in 5 years?

With CarPlay is that it's the *Phone* that's doing all the work, the unit is just displaying it, so features improve with every IOS Update, which should future proof the unit a bit.

The downside with the Pioneer, and I imagine might be a problem in the T5 is the screen is super reflective!

Anyways, food for thought :)

Back