Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 Nav, Bluetooth & MDI Media Interface Installed

Re: RNS510 Nav, Bluetooth & MDI Media Interface Installed

Have to say, whilst I love the RNS that its not the most user-friendly Nav on the planet. Can get extremely fiddly when needing to Nav via waypoints

Also regarding out of date map info, I was driving on the A46 at the weekend between Lincoln & Newark and whole swathes of the road was missing. That road's been in its updated form for years! Really poor.

Is there a way to obtain map updates, or is this a dealer-visit?

*edit* I should have clarified :) is it straightforward enough to buy a Navteq DVD on ebay (assuming its pukka) and do the update yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AndyFromTheBrac said:
Have to say, whilst I love the RNS that its not the most user-friendly Nav on the planet. Can get extremely fiddly when needing to Nav via waypoints

Also regarding out of date map info, I was driving on the A46 at the weekend between Lincoln & Newark and whole swathes of the road was missing. That road's been in its updated form for years! Really poor.

Is there a way to obtain map updates, or is this a dealer-visit?

*edit* I should have clarified :) is it straightforward enough to buy a Navteq DVD on ebay (assuming its pukka) and do the update yourself?

I think you need a rns510 specific map update dvd. I dont think generic navteq map dvd will work.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, you can buy a specific RNS update disc, last I saw was version 9.1. Dealers sell them, and they do appear on eBay from time to time

Cheers I shall give it a try. Yep, I did mean RNS 510 specific Navteq maps Andy, but thanks for clarifying my ropey clarification :)

Stu,

Great posts. I want to upgrade my RCD310 with an RNS510.

We have premium Bluetooth.

Is it a straight swap? How easy or simple is the removal and replacement?

Kind regards

Mark

Mark,

It's quite a simple swap in so much as the plug on the back in the same and also the aperture in the dash etc is the same. You will need to install a GPS antenna but you can use the button type generally supplied with eBay etc units and hide it under the dash - it works fine. It may need some coding with VCDS or similar diagnostic tool in order to align everything with your current setup but you'll likely find even before the coding most functions will work.

Probably not much more than 15 mins work to swap out the units.

A couple of us on here have VCDS, if you aren't too far away I would be pleased to help.

Stu,

Great thanks. I too am based in Bristol and thank you for the offer of help. That is much appreciated.

With the removal of the 310 is there any special tool I need to remove the radio surround?

Regards

Mark

Mark,

I'm in the Southampton area so not a million miles away.

Special tools - not really just a torx.

Thanks.

My only decision now is DAB or not.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mark

Stu,

My 510 DAB arrives in a couple of days. I have the GPS aerial and the DAB aerial. Where will I route these?

I am in your neck of the woods on the 6th and may take you up on the offer if I need some help with vcds.

Kind regards

Mark

Have you got a windscreen mount self adhesive DAB antenna?

If so I would whip out the glove box, the N/S door pillar trim and run it up there.

6th should be OK. Drop me a PM nearer the time and we'll exchange details.

Stu,

510 all installed including the GPS antenna and the DAB antenna.

All works a treat.

I cannot see anything that does not work. Are there any obvious things I should look for?

KR. M

Got ya. Thanks. No I have not.

As I am not a full member I am unable to PM you. We are down all of next weekend (Fri to Mon) if that makes it any easier.

KR. M

Ok.

I'm not planning on being out at all next weekend. I think you can PM after 10 posts so see how you're doing towards the end of the week and we'll exchange details.

With VCDS are you able to add the auto locking when you drive off?

I may ask my friend to PM you with my contact details, that way you have them.

Thanks for all of your help.

KR. M

Yes you can change a number of things.

Look for the thread on the speed display :thumb

Can't remember did you fit Bluetooth and have you got a MFSW?

Thanks. I will look that up.

Yes. I have Bluetooth and MFSW.

KR. M

If it isn't already working and depending on the microphone wiring to the RNS you can also enable voice control of the RNS510.

Ok. Will try it later.

I got notification of your PM but cannot read it. I have asked a friend who is a member to PM you with my details.

KR. M

Hopefully you got a pm with my details.

KR. M

Why not just become a VIP member, you can then PM who ever you want :crazy

Back