Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 Nav, Bluetooth & MDI Media Interface Installed

Freeley said:
Whoopee my sat nav arrived today - £550 and the courier left it on my doorstep all day :shocked :censor

Going away for the jubilee weekend so no time to get it installed boo hoo.
Wish i'd pulled my finger out earlier.

Heard good things about these.

We have the Kenwood DNX520VBT (I think) - a brochure option. Excellent Garmin mapping and seems to do all of Europe and some far flung places too. All very good except my mobile (SE Xperia Active) appears not to like bluetoothing to the hands free kit. An iPhone (wife has just got the 4S) appears to be okay. Shucks! :headwall

All very good except my mobile (SE Xperia Active) appears not to like bluetoothing to the hands free kit. An iPhone (wife has just got the 4S) appears to be okay. Shucks!

Time to upgrade the phone then !??

Andy said:
All very good except my mobile (SE Xperia Active) appears not to like bluetoothing to the hands free kit. An iPhone (wife has just got the 4S) appears to be okay. Shucks!

Time to upgrade the phone then !??

Only just bought it. Its waterproof, shock proof, runs the latest Android, is very compact, great as a training aid for running, cycling, etc. This seems to be its only flaw so far apart from pretty average battery life! Will keep fiddling with the settings.

Stu,
Did you get the DAB version of the 510? If so, how is the reception? I guess that question goes out to anyone with an RCD or RNS DAB unit.

Stu, you mentioned it was a quick job. I'm a bit of a novice but willing and with more experienced friends to assist. I'd be grateful if you could briefly sum up the install. You know, where does the BT unit fit, where did you run the cables for it and for the mic? Does the MFSW work well? etc etc

Cheers

Andy said:
Only just bought it

Thats not good, hope you find a way of improving it then.

It has now been semi "retired" as a sports tracker only unit (which is still does very well) and PAYG SIM phone! I now have a shiny iPhone 4S which admittedly works 1251454515454 times better. Clear as a bell now, does all my music, address book, etc, etc.

Lesson learned.... :oops: :lol: :lol:

I find radio (FM) reception pretty average on the T5 - seems a common issue. Isn't the aerial in the wing mirror or something?! Get much better reception in the BM.

Yes, the aeriel is one or both of the wing mirrors depending on what head unit you have installed.

Thanks

Quick question.....
Where is the MDI connection located once installed?
Ta

Normally in the glovebox on the right. Where the little square blank is :thumb

I have my module in the centre of the van behind the gear lever tunnel at floor-ish level however i have since installed two more units for other people and they fit perfectly near the right hand wheel arch tucked up behind the BCM. A much better place I think.

The microphone needs to be above the drivers head in my opinion else there is too much background noise.

Thanks, hopefully will get around to it this weekend. I have ordered the microphone cover, but not looking forward to cutting into the head-lining!
Ta

I made a template and then made a trial cut in some cardboard before setting about the roof lining.

White masking tape and the draw your outline on that before making the cuts with a sharp Stanley knife.

It's worth taking your time to identify the correct position as there are some obstructions under the lining.

Calikev said:
Yet another question, sorry.........
Does the MDI cable come with some kind of blanking plate then? I can see the perforated black square and would assume the MDI would come with a plate to cover that hole just like the Aux does? A picture would be great if anyone can be bothered for me.

Cheers

Art Vandelay said:
Calikev said:
Yet another question, sorry.........
Does the MDI cable come with some kind of blanking plate then? I can see the perforated black square and would assume the MDI would come with a plate to cover that hole just like the Aux does? A picture would be great if anyone can be bothered for me.

Cheers

pm me your e-mail and i'll send a photo over to you ;)

Stu said:
I hope to put together a little bit of a guide for anyone thinking of carrying out the install themselves but in the meantime here are a couple of teasers -

Stu - did you ever do a guide..?? I'm looking at installing an RNS510 and bluetooth and I'm struggling finding the basics like how to remove the existing radio and where the bluetooth module fits in etc. Not so worried about the coding but more about the physical installation...

Appreciate any guides or links you may know.

No I didn't I'm afraid, I got a bit carried away during the install and didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked.

I can remember most of it though so happy to help with what you're stuck with.

Are you doing MDI & Bluetooth as well as RNS510?

If you source the MDI & Bluetooth from the same place as I did you may want to modify the two wiring looms they send to make one. Much neater and takes up less space.

MDI is under the glovebox, to the left.
My BT is located in the centre tunnel at floor level however after fitting two for other people I think the better location is in the drivers footwell on the outer side up behind the dash. (sort of above the throttle pedal)

It looks quite intrusive to get behind the dash simply because the lower section all has to come off due to the way it's fixed but it really isn't that bad. The Microphone is best located above the driver in the headlining and the cable runs up the A pillar.

Got to go do something now but I'll try and put some more notes later. Let me know of any specifics.

Stu said:
Are you doing MDI & Bluetooth as well as RNS510?

I definitely want to do bluetooth but I wasn't going to bother with MDI as I use spotify and Google Listen mainly from an Android phone and I was guessing the interface wouldn't be much good.

Any details / pics for the location of the bluetooth module would be great. To be honest some of the pics for the BT install look terrifying so I'm seriously considering using Hazy Days...

very kind offer, I'm in Bristol, not a million miles from Hampshire. Also I'm not sure how much longer I can put off the kids visit to peppa pig world so may have a reason for a trip in that direction soon..!!

The RNS 510 is a great bit of kit, however on the A39 yesterday heading to the North I was instructed to take the first left and then immediately turn right. This I did and finished round the 5 meter triangle back on to the A39 Good job I could turn easily ( I had gone down the small track for a short distance, just to make sure).
I had , or the wife had, been testing the Sat Nav out.
So much to learn on it still.
And what a pity VW could not have WIRED the SAT NAV to the leisure batteries It would save keep getting up from the rear seats to restart the radio/Aux every 20 minutes when using the Laptop with a Video using the AUX of the RNS 510 for a better sound.
Or even an hand held remote control.
Richard

I recently had Bluetooth installed. I don't have the red 'SOS' function that appears in the top right corner of the RNS510's phone display screen - as in Stu's photo. No big deal I guess, but can anyone explain why this is?

It could be that you have a different phone module installed.

drmanhattan said:
I recently had Bluetooth installed. I don't have the red 'SOS' function that appears in the top right corner of the RNS510's phone display screen - as in Stu's photo. No big deal I guess, but can anyone explain why this is?

Just looked on my RNS & I don't have the SOS button either

Back