Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiple electric faults solved

Nikbcn

Nikbcn

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I’m posting this because it’s one of those gremlin moments that was solved by chance!!
In a single moment these faults/failures occurred in my 2006 Cali:

- central locking using keyfob FAIL (unlocking OK)
- electric windows open/close FAIL
- a/c ON/OFF and all other (non-manual) heating controls FAIL
- dashboard backlights FAIL
- dashboard side/headlight indicator lights FAIL (but all exterior lights functioning normally )
- internal left/right/hazard-warning “relay click sound” FAIL

Yes.... I know, weird!! Fuses checked and all good. The back of the bus controlled from the CU and leisure batteries not affected.

What was the chuffing problem....

..... It was the radio/nav/infotainment system that overheated !!!!!!!! It’s an aftermarket “lookalike" of the infotainment system in the top spec models - which works great as an alternative to the standard basic module. I took it out and disconnected it before reconnecting it 10 mins later and hey freaking presto all systems back to normal!!!

This module had been freezing and suffering “screen-outs” recently so there was obviously something going on. Coincidentally I have the common issue on pre 2010 Cali’s of the heater direction control dial slipping (due to the internal cable buckling) so no airflow through the dashboard air vents at the moment. I’m sure this contributed to the overheating of my aftermarket system.

Would’ve cost a heap to get this diagnosed I’m sure - so hope this might be a lesson in thinking out-the-box - “if something else has been misbehaving then they might be connected”.

Don’t worry if non of this makes sense, if often doesn’t but often nonsense fixes stuff.

If anyone knows what is in the vicinity of the overheated infotainment system that could be affected enough to produce these faults I’d be interested.

I have the same year as you although i have the original
radio-navi
This year on a not particular hot day it flashed up a message saying
- system closing down too hot- :eek:
I turned it back on after about 30 mins and everything was fine and no
gremlins.
Its worked fine ever since.
I wonder if @TripleBee has gone up in smoke with his chinese one.
This is mineIMG_6405.JPG

I have the same year as you although i have the original
radio-navi
This year on a not particular hot day it flashed up a message saying
- system closing down too hot- :eek:
I turned it back on after about 30 mins and everything was fine and no
gremlins.
Its worked fine ever since.
I wonder if @TripleBee has gone up in smoke with his chinese one.
This is mineView attachment 52979
Looks like you have the electronic climate control as well so no vent control cables buckling behind the dash.