Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiple holes in the stitching on bellows

F

Flee

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We have a brand new California and have noticed there are lots of small holes where the bellows have been stitched.
Just been told by our supplying dealer that this is normal on all the bellows of the vans , can anyone help and tell us if this is the case.

If so do you take it down each time you leave it on site, to go out for the day, as it could rain and leak? Does it ever leak enough to wet the mattress?

IMG_6543.jpeg

IMG_6542.jpeg

We have a brand new California and have noticed there are lots of small holes where the bellows have been stitched.
Just been told by our supplying dealer that this is normal on all the bellows of the vans , can anyone help and tell us if this is the case.

If so do you take it down each time you leave it on site, to go out for the day, as it could rain and leak? Does it ever leak enough to wet the mattress?

View attachment 127234

View attachment 127235
Mine is the same and doesn’t leak. I have the 03S bellows. Was going to waterproof the bellows but haven’t bothered as I’ve had no problems. Get the normal condensation build up but that’s normal especially as there are four of us in the van.

We have the old bellows and they have aways had some small holes, especially on key stitch areas. Never been an issue.

If you have new bellows get coffee, someone will be along soon to rant.

The material will swell when it gets wet, all tents leak it is just "by how much", you should come to the Lake District and test it!

IMG_9484.jpegIMG_9481.jpegIMG_9478.jpegIMG_1400.jpegIMG_1399.jpegIMG_1398.jpegWe have a new California beach camper MY24.. we’ve had leak at front and back corners and due for warranty check diagnosis at the VW dealership during our first service (October). The back area leaks look like the water is coming in between metal components whereas the front is through the fabric. Both times the rain was not heavy, just long period of rain overnight. We are just back from the Lake District and it didn’t rain much while the bellows were up!!

This is a big subject. To maximise knowledge you might consider a VIP membership which give you the search facility: then use advanced search to restrict selected postings to November 2022 onwards (when the bellows changed) and search 'bellows leaking' and 'poptop leaking'. There is a lot to cover but if you work backwards from the most recent posts you wil soon start to get the gist.

Last edited:
We have the old bellows and they have aways had some small holes, especially on key stitch areas. Never been an issue.

If you have new bellows get coffee, someone will be along soon to rant.
Coffee(s), comfortable chair, blood pressure monitor, consumer rights lawyer speed-dial, and possibly some match sticks.... ...and if you are happy to embrace alternative therapies, a can of Aquatex (not available on the NHS).
Now if you're sitting comfortably, I'll begin...

Back