Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My Bouncy Bits

M

mrteegrassgill

VIP Member
I found some recommendations on here for a Peggers rear suspension kit http://www.pedders.co.uk/pedders-suspension-vw-t5-transporter-rear-suspension-kit_p22541206.htm for firming up the rear of the cali (esp in the case of 4 motions which carry extra weight) and improving the towing.

Just had the kit fitted yesterday by my local garage at a cost of £48 for an hours labour.

I haven't towed with it yet but I am expecting good things given previous posts.

I found the standard springs were not strong enough and left the trailer pointing nose down and the cali tail down which made it driver poorly.

However in normal driving I note the following

Handling is better, less roll and bounce.
Makes the steering sharper
The springs are stiffer but they still handle the bumps well and there is no detriment to the ride quality.

Only down side I can see is that it raises the back so the vehicle does not sit flat. It looks far better externally as previously it always looks down at the back, however this obviously makes the interior unlevel. However I have never camped in the cali once where I haven't had to use ramps so not really worried about this.

As a result of fitting these springs I definatley thing the 4 Motion Cali is undersprung on the back. It is like a different vehicle now.

I highly recommend, perhaps even if you do not tow anything.

I found the standard springs were not strong enough and left the trailer pointing nose down and the cali tail down which made it driver poorly.

Crikey... what's the nose weight on the trailer?

Still good to see you've got a solution though. :thumb

The official Trailer Nose Weight for the California is 100 Kgm, so for your trailer to be nose down and the California's rear to be down would seem to suggest one of two things,
1. Trailer Nose Weight incorrect.
2. Something at odds to rear suspension.

The California has quit a high Nose Weight compared to many vehicles. Even the Land Rover Defender has a nose weight limit of only 150 Kgm.

I would suggest checking your trailer ASAP because you might be exceeding the weight limit on the trailer towbar. All the Peggars Kit is doing is disguising the problem in that case, and leaving you with a severely stressed trailer towbar and vehicle towbar fittings, which if not within the manufacturers specifications would make your Insurance invalid if you are involved in an accident whilst towing.

Some info regarding Towing and Nose Weights.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/6678669/noseweights-mo.pdf

I found some recommendations on here for a Peggers rear suspension kit http://www.pedders.co.uk/pedders-suspension-vw-t5-transporter-rear-suspension-kit_p22541206.htm for firming up the rear of the cali (esp in the case of 4 motions which carry extra weight) and improving the towing.

Just had the kit fitted yesterday by my local garage at a cost of £48 for an hours labour.

I haven't towed with it yet but I am expecting good things given previous posts.

However in normal driving I note the following

Handling is better, less roll and bounce.
Makes the steering sharper
The springs are stiffer but they still handle the bumps well and there is no detriment to the ride quality.

Only down side I can see is that it raises the back so the vehicle does not sit flat. It looks far better externally as previously it always looks down at the back, however this obviously makes the interior unlevel. However I have never camped in the cali once where I haven't had to use ramps so not really worried about this.

As a result of fitting these springs I definatley thing the 4 Motion Cali is undersprung on the back. It is like a different vehicle now.

I highly recommend, perhaps even if you do not tow anything.
Do you fit one kit to the rear or two kits? One would make sense. I'm very interested in getting it done. Does it do anything to the warranty? Would you get vw to fit it? Fascinating facts and interested that it cures the saggy arse effect. Perhaps I should have some fitted....

I think you are missing the issue. The California hitch is just too low compared with other vehicles. This means I have to push the twin axle trailer down onto it which shifts the weight forward. I am not the only person who has had this issue. I have read elsewhere that the 4motion is so undersprung that if your order large alloys they don't put a spare on because of the extra weight. When hitched the trailer Sat so low there was only about 3-4 inches of clearence for the jockey wheel and this does not happen with my other vehicle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Do you fit one kit to the rear or two kits? One would make sense. I'm very interested in getting it done. Does it do anything to the warranty? Would you get vw to fit it? Fascinating facts and interested that it cures the saggy arse effect. Perhaps I should have some fitted....
One kit to the rear which replaces rear springs and shocks. Front is unchanged.

I have read on here people have got vw to fit. I guess vw could use it to get out of a related warranty claim however from my perspective it was more important that we could tow our trailer without the cali being on its knees. Personally I think it sits so much better on the road now even without a trailer and drives better. I got a trusted local garage I use for servicing to fit and they charged an hours Labour.

One kit to the rear which replaces rear springs and shocks. Front is unchanged.

I have read on here people have got vw to fit. I guess vw could use it to get out of a related warranty claim however from my perspective it was more important that we could tow our trailer without the cali being on its knees. Personally I think it sits so much better on the road now even without a trailer and drives better. I got a trusted local garage I use for servicing to fit and they charged an hours Labour.

Do you need to tell the insurance as its a modification?

Yes you should tell your insurer, make sure they understand this is not a lowering kit.

I think you are missing the issue.......... This means I have to push the twin axle trailer down onto it which shifts the weight forward

If you are having to push the trailer nose down to hitch, doesn't this mean that when you let go it's actually trying to lift the rear of the van not push it down further?

You're right... I think I'm missing the point... unless, I guess the point was to have a suspension lift kit to raise the static tail of the Cali rather than firming it up.

I regularly tow one of my other vans behind the T4 (which has an even lower tow ball than my Cali) on a twin axle transporter... but I guess the difference there may be that the T4 came with Eibachs as standard.

Still as mentioned, it improves things from your perspective and that's the only thing that matters.

On the insurance comments, I wouldn't expect it to increase the premium but best be safe and notify of the mod.

You don't get a spare wheel with the 18" + alloys because it won't fit in the carrier. Very little weight difference between 17" and 18" wheels once fitted with tyres.

So what you are saying is because the tow hitch is too low for your trailer you are increasing the nose weight on the trailer to connect to the tow hitch and by fitting the new suspension you are raising the rear of the California to raise the tow hitch to fit the trailer?

My understanding that ALL tow hitches , since 1998, have had to meet the EU standard regarding height/size etc: on ALL vehicles sold within the EU.

http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/understanding-all-about-tow-ball-height/

Only repeating information I found out here about the spare wheel.

With regard to the tow hitch, there may be a regulation, but the one on the cali was a couple of inches lower than the one on my discovery and other vehicles I have owned. The discovery one sits at a great height to tow the trailer I have, the cali one does not, and it is only made worse by soft springs which are not up to the job.

I only have experience of the 4motion, but I am told that the factory springs are the same as any other cali, but there is a lot more weight at the rear of the vehicle.

Also, the spring change makes the cali sit more like a transporter or caravelle, which must have diff springs on the back and hence are higher but have the same tow bar layout.

Advice from my trailer manufacturer is that if the tow hitch is too low on a twin axle it will cause additional strain and wear on the front axle which will carry too much of the weight.

I came on here to share my experience not to start an argument.

Not an argument. I have 2 trailers and have towed a caravan and empty horse trailer without any problems. All have ridden level with nose weights of between 50 & 75Kgms and been level. There is only 128Kgms difference in vehicle weight between the 140ps and 180ps 4Motion and both have the same Gross Train Weight. The California has its Towbar hitch within the EU limit. Now 4x4's are allowed to have adjustable towing hitches so that might be part of the explanation.
I would argue the point that the California's suspension, especially on the 4Motion, is not upto it. They are if the correct nose weight is applied, after all the only "weight" carried by the rear suspension is the Nose Weight. The Trailer weight is carried by the trailer.

Basically, this suspension kit has raised the rear suspension / raised the towbar to match the trailer and thus reduced the nose weight on the tow hitch. Nothing to do with soft suspension that cannot cope.

The Transporter and Caravelle sit higher when empty because they are not pre-loaded with a camper conversion. If loaded I think you would find them all very similar.

My Disco has a removable tow bar not an adjustable one. Fact is its just too low on the cali before I hitch up and then it gets worse.

I agree that it being low is causing more nose weight on the trailer, which in turn overloads the cali and causes poor driving experience.

Whatever the reason the cali did not tow the trailer well because of the position it put it in, and now it does, end of story.

If my t5 was a transporter or caravelle the hitch would be higher as standard. It may be within height range but it is at the bottom end of that range which causes a problem for my setup .

Aside to all this the cali now handles better even without a trailer on it has reduced roll and improved steering response. It works for me, and in my opinion, towing or not the rear end on the cali is too soft.

I think you are missing the issue. The California hitch is just too low compared with other vehicles. This means I have to push the twin axle trailer down onto it which shifts the weight forward. I am not the only person who has had this issue. I have read elsewhere that the 4motion is so undersprung that if your order large alloys they don't put a spare on because of the extra weight. When hitched the trailer Sat so low there was only about 3-4 inches of clearence for the jockey wheel and this does not happen with my other vehicle.

Did you measure the towball height before and after the spring change?
I've always based my personal towball height preference at 16" or 40cms.
Just thinking ahead if I've got to look at that when my 4Motion arrives. Hard to figure out as some suggest the 204 4motion has T32 suspension.

Did you measure the towball height before and after the spring change?
I've always based my personal towball height preference at 16" or 40cms.
Just thinking ahead if I've got to look at that when my 4Motion arrives. Hard to figure out as some suggest the 204 4motion has T32 suspension.

I didnt measure, before, but I can measure now for you... will post shortly.

Back