Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My head is spinning...

FiFiLaDrew

FiFiLaDrew

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Forum folks in my phone - I'm at the stage of overwhelm! This is normal right??
Looking to buy a van and started my research...First of all I upped my budget by 5k, then I upped it again by 10k All part of the process, I'm sure. Initially I was looking at early T5 conversions, then I crawled around a Cali and fell in love...damn it. So the budget wiggled again.
It's settled at low 30k, 32ish say. That, in the grand scheme of things is, I know, not a huge amount to play with, but it feels like a big wedge to me!
I think I know what im looking for, but I'd really appreciate some reassurance that I'm on the right track if possible please?
I really like manual gears. I had an auto golf many moons ago and I just really missed 'driving' my vehicle. The van will be my daily drive, so fuel economy matters. I do pretty low mileage atm in my Yeti (amazing car, be gutted to sell her), most of it is local lanes with a blat up the motorway 20 miles and back once a week or so. I need reliability (don't we all), so I'm thinking a full service history is a must? Having read lots of views on engine reliabilty etc, and taking into account my budget, intended use etc, would I be on the right path in thinking maybe a 2l 140bhp is the one for me??
I've seen a van on the forum that I really like the look of, but it's a few k over (isnt that always the way?!), and the budget creep has to stop somewhere - is assessing value just a case of looking at comparable vans and sold listings and getting a feel for the market? I'm assuming Parkers etc are going to be out for Calis as they'll value as a standard T5/6?
Sorry for the mental dump and stream of questions. I did search the forum threads before posting, but a lot of the advice I was looking at was a few years old, so my apologies mods if I missed some relevant posts.
Thanks folks
Fiona

Hello and welcome,
You're exactly where I was at 8 months ago, before buying a manual 140 5.1!

I've been keeping an eye on prices since then, loosely, and have noticed asking prices have stayed around the same (35kish) for average mileage models. On the whole they're all the same really but some may come with a few extras thrown in that can be worth considering.

Mine is my daily drive now and we've also been away loads in it. It's been the best decision I've made (vehicle wise) and we absolutely love it. A mate has a conversion and although his is a good one, the Cali is streets ahead in quality and design I think.

Hello and welcome,
You're exactly where I was at 8 months ago, before buying a manual 140 5.1!

I've been keeping an eye on prices since then, loosely, and have noticed asking prices have stayed around the same (35kish) for average mileage models. On the whole they're all the same really but some may come with a few extras thrown in that can be worth considering.

Mine is my daily drive now and we've also been away loads in it. It's been the best decision I've made (vehicle wise) and we absolutely love it. A mate has a conversion and although his is a good one, the Cali is streets ahead in quality and design I think.
I agree, there's some great conversions out there for sure, but the Cali layout just felt so unobtrusive. That probably sounds odd, but it needs to be my car before it's my larking about van! So being able to carry passengers, moving the seat forward to talk to them, bunging the dogs in the boot etc...that's all a real must for me. Then having a leisure vehicle for playtime...it really feels a multipurpose van. I've done the rounds, I've looked into buying a base van and getting a conversion done, buying a Ford (shudder), buying one already converted...and I just kept coming back to the Cali. I hope like you pchmlk, it turns out to be a good move

We’ve had our 2012 SE 140 eight years. It’s had a service annually and had items replaced as needed. It’s been a great van - really feel it’s part of the family (never had that with a car). Thought of getting a newer model more than once but then think …….. why? It drives well, camping experience is exactly the same and it looks good!

Welcome!

Firstly, you're in the right place RE questions. I've always been a petrol head, but this is by far the most welcoming forum you can come across.

Californias hold their value extremely well - thats both a good and a bad thing. It means what you invest in it will be safer than other vehicles, but equally, you'll need to stump up more. Moreover, you'll often pay more for a poor example than you would otherwise. That said, they're an enthusiast vehicle, so they're generally cared for. Just keep in mind that they are leisure vehicles, so scuffs and marks throughout the cabin etc are likely.

My biggest recommendation is take your time. The market isn't going anywhere, and the right decision is more important than making a decision out of haste. Youre right RE budget creep - and you're wise to have a limit. Emotion can quickly take over with these vehicles, and as with any vehicle, its not always sunshine and rainbows. But it might be depending on where you travel :D

Regardless, best of luck with the search and welcome :)

I can confirm that.
Hi TripleBee - I've read about sliding window leaks and roof corrosion. Are the sliding window leaks a thing? And regarding the roof corrosion a) what's the situation with any warranty now please? I'm assuming that recall won't be current on the age of vehicle I'm looking at? (2014 ish) b) If a van has been recalled and treated to a VW 'fix'...will that be recorded somewhere?
Thanks

I think now is a pretty good time to buy, prices wise plus added bonus of end of summer. Try and find something loved, not tatty at all. Seems achievable. Look at the paint on the roof and around the cap. Check inside on the roof lining for stains and any sign of leaks.

I bought our 2008 T5 in 2009 when my wife was pregnant. It’s part of the family and the centre of many memories. Good luck.

Hi TripleBee - I've read about sliding window leaks and roof corrosion. Are the sliding window leaks a thing? And regarding the roof corrosion a) what's the situation with any warranty now please? I'm assuming that recall won't be current on the age of vehicle I'm looking at? (2014 ish) b) If a van has been recalled and treated to a VW 'fix'...will that be recorded somewhere?
Thanks
I would avoid anything that has been fixed. Often seems to make it worse. Just my opinion. Better something that has never leaked. You must get them to raise the roof and look around to see it’s clean and looks good.
Forums attract people looking for help with problems so that can skew impressions. I don’t think window leaks are a big problem. Roof paint problems and leaks are but there would be signs. Ask direct questions and hopefully buy from someone you trust. One owner vehicle would be a sign of a loved van but maybe unrealistic.

Welcome!

Firstly, you're in the right place RE questions. I've always been a petrol head, but this is by far the most welcoming forum you can come across.

Californias hold their value extremely well - thats both a good and a bad thing. It means what you invest in it will be safer than other vehicles, but equally, you'll need to stump up more. Moreover, you'll often pay more for a poor example than you would otherwise. That said, they're an enthusiast vehicle, so they're generally cared for. Just keep in mind that they are leisure vehicles, so scuffs and marks throughout the cabin etc are likely.

My biggest recommendation is take your time. The market isn't going anywhere, and the right decision is more important than making a decision out of haste. Youre right RE budget creep - and you're wise to have a limit. Emotion can quickly take over with these vehicles, and as with any vehicle, its not always sunshine and rainbows. But it might be depending on where you travel :D

Regardless, best of luck with the search and welcome :)
Hi Camperfam and thanks for the lovely welcome
Wise words re:taking my time. I'm honestly in no rush. It's end of Summer, my daily drive is a great car that I'm in no hurry to move on...I can bide my time for sure. But...if you keep looking then you keep seeing
Budget creep has definitely stopped creeping. It's a big investment, need to be sure it's a head as well as heart move

I would avoid anything that has been fixed. Often seems to make it worse. Just my opinion. Better something that has never leaked. You must get them to raise the roof and look around to see it’s clean and looks good.
Forums attract people looking for help with problems so that can skew impressions. I don’t think window leaks are a big problem. Roof paint problems and leaks are but there would be signs. Ask direct questions and hopefully buy from someone you trust. One owner vehicle would be a sign of a loved van but maybe unrealistic.
I think you're right, I'd rather have the corrosion unfixed and be able to see what's what, than have it capped and invisible but active. I have a list of questions to ask (doing a teams call view on one tomorrow as a preliminary look before travelling to view properly if it's good), and roof repair is on that list. I do wonder though, if this owner had bought the van with a repair already done, how on earth would I know that? I guess VW (if it was done by them) would hold records..? And if it wasn't done by them then I guess it would have been a rub and respray, in which case it would probably reappear at some point ‍♀️ Receipts for work carried out is the key here I guess
What you say is true, and I hadn't really considered, that forums and message boards contain a high proportion of folk looking for an answer to an issue. That's a good shout thank you

I think you're right, I'd rather have the corrosion unfixed and be able to see what's what, than have it capped and invisible but active. I have a list of questions to ask (doing a teams call view on one tomorrow as a preliminary look before travelling to view properly if it's good), and roof repair is on that list. I do wonder though, if this owner had bought the van with a repair already done, how on earth would I know that? I guess VW (if it was done by them) would hold records..? And if it wasn't done by them then I guess it would have been a rub and respray, in which case it would probably reappear at some point ‍♀️ Receipts for work carried out is the key here I guess
What you say is true, and I hadn't really considered, that forums and message boards contain a high proportion of folk looking for an answer to an issue. That's a good shout thank you
Just to reiterate the roof and cap are made of aluminium and will never rust. It’s not corrosion. It’s aluminium being put next to steel that creates a reaction that can cause the paint to bubble. It varies enormously. My 2008 van hardly has it all and has never needed any repairs. I get v small bubbles that I swear actually disappear and then reappear but I know it’s not rust and nothing really to worry about. Some others have had a repair with tape and it been ok. Others the repairs seem terrible. Most of all I would stay away from anything where the cap has had major repairs or had a plastic bit stuck on top. That seems bad.

They are fantastic vehicles.

1725749899824.jpeg

1725750127793.jpeg

Last edited:
The Galvanic Corrosion on the roof panel above the windscreen which VW repairs , initially be replacement and then a plastic cap , was resolved by changing the alloy mix used for the panel for Model Year 2015. Any vehicle from August 2014 { Model Year runs from July 2014 to July 2015 } will have the new alloy.
Galvanic corrosion on the edges of the elevating roof is ongoing - all models from 2010 to 2024 can get it. VWs fix is the application of a clear tape under the rubber edge seal after repair/ repairing of any damage. This is a workshop recall applicable for ALL Californias from 2010 onwards. VW started fitting this tape at the factory from late 2017 onwards.

Desirable extras on an early T5.1 include 3 zone A/C which is brilliant, front and rear sensors, privacy glass, heated seats, DAB/Nav head unit although easily upgraded, cruise, MFSW, fog lights etc. Many have had seat covers from new so seats should be in vgc. Check everything works properly ie electric roof, a/c, control panel, bed mechanism, tap, cupboards, blinds etc.
Check the forum adverts for one/two owner fsh vehicles. Cross reference prices with auto trader (cars and motorhomes sections) as some prices can be optimistic at best. As said above, condition is paramount, you're looking for a vehicle that's been cherished.

Last edited:
The Galvanic Corrosion on the roof panel above the windscreen which VW repairs , initially be replacement and then a plastic cap , was resolved by changing the alloy mix used for the panel for Model Year 2015. Any vehicle from August 2014 { Model Year runs from July 2014 to July 2015 } will have the new alloy.
Galvanic corrosion on the edges of the elevating roof is ongoing - all models from 2010 to 2024 can get it. VWs fix is the application of a clear tape under the rubber edge seal after repair/ repairing of any damage. This is a workshop recall applicable for ALL Californias from 2010 onwards. VW started fitting this tape at the factory from late 2017 onwards.
This is brilliant info - thank you!

Desirable extras on an early T5.1 include 3 zone A/C which is brilliant, front and rear sensors, privacy glass, heated seats, DAB/Nav head unit although easily upgraded, cruise, MFSW, fog lights etc. Many have had seat covers from new so seats should be in vgc. Check everything works properly ie electric roof, a/c, control panel, bed mechanism, tap, cupboards etc.
Check the forum adverts for one/two owner fsh vehicles. Cross reference prices with auto trader (cars and motorhomes sections) as some prices can be optimistic at best. As said above, condition is paramount, you're looking for a vehicle that's been cherished.
The one I'm considering does have the embroidered seat covers, hadn't thought about AC much (or appreciated the different types). Thanks so much, I have added the above to my loooong list of questions for the initial call now! Really appreciate the advice.

The one I'm considering does have the embroidered seat covers, hadn't thought about AC much (or appreciated the different types). Thanks so much, I have added the above to my loooong list of questions for the initial call now! Really appreciate the advice.
If you have rear passengers the 3 zone makes a big difference especially touring in v hot weather. It also has a function where you can use heat from the engine to heat the van when you are stopped for a short break. Also need to check the diesel heating works when viewing.

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that you are looking at possibly getting a 10 yr old van so a couple of extra points to think about (mine is 12 yr old).
* roof sensors will probably need replacing soon - easy enough self fix if you fancy it.
* it might have had the roof cap repaired (like mine) you just need to ensure it looks ok and all seals are intact (I reseal mine annually)
* springs, clutch, discs/pads, etc. might have been replaced - a full service and maintenance record shows it’s been cared for
* leisure batteries could be coming to end of life - have they been charged monthly
* does heating, fridge, water system all work - any problems
Everything is fixable, but not always cheaply (avoid main dealers if you can) as at the end of the day it’s a Transporter van.
Good luck in your search!

@FiFiLaDrew I’m in a similar position….. back looking at vans having previously decided against it….. but the itch keeps coming back!

I seem to be looking at 5.1 California’s and maybe T6 conversions.

Prob the only thing making me nervous of California’s is the roof corrosion.. albeit I’m not sure if it’s a when…… or if many don’t suffer at all. And if they do differ given age at this stage and no warranty….. is it ‘just’ a few hundred quid to fix and be done?

Hard to know…… but the 140hp engine at least seems to be the bullet proof one… so least unlikely to throw a £10k engine change like some of the others

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that you are looking at possibly getting a 10 yr old van so a couple of extra points to think about (mine is 12 yr old).
* roof sensors will probably need replacing soon - easy enough self fix if you fancy it.
* it might have had the roof cap repaired (like mine) you just need to ensure it looks ok and all seals are intact (I reseal mine annually)
* springs, clutch, discs/pads, etc. might have been replaced - a full service and maintenance record shows it’s been cared for
* leisure batteries could be coming to end of life - have they been charged monthly
* does heating, fridge, water system all work - any problems
Everything is fixable, but not always cheaply (avoid main dealers if you can) as at the end of the day it’s a Transporter van.
Good luck in your search!
Possible dim question...roof sensors? For operating the pop top?
(Epic list BTW - thank you so much)

Possible dim question...roof sensors? For operating the pop top?
(Epic list BTW - thank you so much)
No probs.
The roof is controlled by 4 sensors via control panel. These can decay / rust and need replacing and dealers will charge the earth but there a few independent mechanics out there now doing it at a good price (or do it yourself for about £60 - another search on the forum!)
As you are looking at possibly getting a T5.1 SE then feel free to ask any questions :thumb

Back