Buying older used California

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrb08

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello folks.

Looking to buy a California, my budget (around 35-40k) seems to get me a 2010-14 SE model, but most of these seem to be the 180bhp BiTD.
I have been reading a bit of bad press for these engines and I was wondering if people could give me real world experience of owning one.

Many thanks

As I have mentioned before, and actually been surprised that I haven’t been corrected, there’s a reasonable case that says the original 5 cylinder 2.5 is the best engine. No belts, just gear driven, no adblue etc. They seem to go on forever.
‘Only’ downsides are the emissions. Mine fails ULEZ for example.
I only mention this as you seem to be looking only just above that age/price.
I love my 2008 174 T5 auto. Owned it since 2009.

As I have mentioned before, and actually been surprised that I haven’t been corrected, there’s a reasonable case that says the original 5 cylinder 2.5 is the best engine. No belts, just gear driven, no adblue etc. They seem to go on forever.
‘Only’ downsides are the emissions. Mine fails ULEZ for example.
I only mention this as you seem to be looking only just above that age/price.
I love my 2008 174 T5 auto. Owned it since 2009.
I might be inclined to agree with you, I currently run a T5 with the early 2.5 130 axd engine. Currently on 115000 miles and runs like a dream, pulls like a train even fully loaded.
If I could find a 2006-2009 california I would definitely take it over the later 2.0.

I might be inclined to agree with you, I currently run a T5 with the early 2.5 130 axd engine. Currently on 115000 miles and runs like a dream, pulls like a train even fully loaded.
If I could find a 2006-2009 california I would definitely take it over the later 2.0.
May be worth asking if this 2.5 Cali is still for sale...
Screenshot_20220202-220736.png

2010/2011 MY 180 engine had a problem that you are aware of. Cost about £7-8000 to replace engine.
I have a 2014 180, just passing 107,000 miles. Oil Consumption 250. Mls /20,000 miles.

I’m not a
Cant see the link as not registered on Facebook.

I’m not a

Cant see the link as not registered on Facebook.
Worth registering on Facebook just for the Cali groups, sales, info etc. but not as good as this forum :)

Of more concern now is the issue of Emission level of the Cali as there is a growing trend to ban, or financially penalise travel, on pre Euro6 vehicles. Just a factor to muddy the decision process.

I'd doubt if a well maintained 8 to 12 year old 180 Cali is any more of a risk from an engine failure than non Bi-Turbo models.

I'd doubt if a well maintained 8 to 12 year old 180 Cali is any more of a risk from an engine failure than non Bi-Turbo models.
Probably true. And the reported issues seem to focus pretty much all on the 2010-11 models, as stated above (doubtless there will be some outliers but those may be just by chance).

I've got a 2015 180 with no issues so far although of course that's just a sample of one and ours has only done about 50k. Personally I'd have no concerns at all about owning a non-2010/11 180 and I'd be tempted by a 2010/11 if the price was right, factoring in the small risk of a major engine issue.

Buying an older Cali makes a huge amount of sense given how the vehicle, and particularly the camping aspects, have stayed very similar over the past 15 years. The only downside I'd say is it being a Euro 5 versus 6 which given the way things are headed on emissions exclusions (especially on the Continent) starts to limit its compete versatility as a multi-purpose vehicle although if you expect to need it to go into cities that's less of an issue.

You could always look at the 140 SE like we have. You can get it remapped to give you more power but mainly the extra torque which then takes it into the same performance as the 180 without the 180 potential problems.

You could always look at the 140 SE like we have. You can get it remapped to give you more power but mainly the extra torque which then takes it into the same performance as the 180 without the 180 potential problems.
I agree. The 140 even without a remap is quite adequately powered (bear in mind the base 'builder's van' is often sold in 102 or even 84bph versions).

Why do you want to change?
Unless you can jump to a T6/6.1 and Euro6 emissions category I cannot see the point as your present vehicle is running well.
The camping side of things haven't evolved that much. If you think yours is tired then invest £ x in giving it a makeover.

Unless you can jump to a T6/6.1 and Euro6 emissions category I cannot see the point as your present vehicle is running well.
The camping side of things haven't evolved that much. If you think yours is tired then invest £ x in giving it a makeover.
I agree. Keeping a vehicle you know well is far better than buying something you haven’t a clue how it’s been driven. Like the saying goes “ Better the devil you know”. Modern more recent vans have just got more complicated and even more digital.

I assume his current vehicle is a van not a Cali hence he's looking to buy a Cali.

I don't think he does. I think he was just putting himself in the OP's position. [EDIT: no, my mistake, see below re Autosleeper].

Anyway, I fully agree that with campervans, 'tried-and-tested' makes huge sense. The base VW vans were designed for high mileages and plenty of abuse. Unless someone wants the 'new van' smell or driveway/campsite bragging rights (nothing wrong with those of course, although actually even if you have a van that cost more than a new Porsche, 99% of the neighbours won't realise that) an older van that's been properly maintained is hugely sensible.

Last edited:
I assume his current vehicle is a van not a Cali hence he's looking to buy a Cali.
If that's the case then get a bespoke conversion or wait until 2nd hand prices drop with the flood of Pandemic purchases coming to market as Pandemic restrictions ease and life returns to normal.

I agree. The 140 even without a remap is quite adequately powered (bear in mind the base 'builder's van' is often sold in 102 or even 84bph versions).
It’s true the 140 is OK but could sometimes struggle on long hills but with a remap that has changed completely and it’s much more responsive acceleration no changing down on hills and better fuel consumption. It’s more like driving a car now than a van.

Ah, it’s not a California.
It’s an Autosleeper Trooper, which is a really well built, although fairly dated conversion.
The issue is the children are a bit bigger and now refuse to sleep in the roof as it’s the solid sided version and is a bit tight.

It’s an Autosleeper Trooper, which is a really well built, although fairly dated conversion.
The issue is the children are a bit bigger and now refuse to sleep in the roof as it’s the solid sided version and is a bit tight.
That's a lot of extra cash for a few inches in width, bigger campervan perhaps ;)

If that's the case then get a bespoke conversion or wait until 2nd hand prices drop with the flood of Pandemic purchases coming to market as Pandemic restrictions ease and life returns to normal.
I have considered that, but I just wonder if the prices will come down now they have risen. Especially when most will have finance to settle when selling.

If that's the case would the California roof bed be much better. I doubt if it is wider.

The other thing I like about my 2008 T5 is the interior. Ours has custard coloured alcantara seats with grey leather on the outside. It looks fantastic. I don’t really like cloth seats and the alcantara in the front looks completely new after 14 years. I think I’ve cleaned the rear seats once. Admittedly it’s an almost one owner vehicle (chap before me worked for VW and had it for a year) and quite low mileage but I just love the seats. We‘ve fitted a CarPlay stereo which works great with Siri and Waze. With that I can’t really see any great leap forward in a 2022 model. Plus I think the T5s ‘face‘ is the best!

The other thing I like about my 2008 T5 is the interior. Ours has custard coloured alcantara seats with grey leather on the outside. It looks fantastic. I don’t really like cloth seats and the alcantara in the front looks completely new after 14 years. I think I’ve cleaned the rear seats once. Admittedly it’s an almost one owner vehicle (chap before me worked for VW and had it for a year) and quite low mileage but I just love the seats. We‘ve fitted a CarPlay stereo which works great with Siri and Waze. With that I can’t really see any great leap forward in a 2022 model. Plus I think the T5s ‘face‘ is the best!
Sounds great - do you have a pic of the seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back