Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My New T6 Funny smell near the back wheels

Just found this does anyone know we're it goes??

View attachment 14034

I believe they go on the back of the metal mesh shelf, between the seat and the shelf. They get knocked out when the seat does not clear correctly when making the bottom bunk up.

I'm sure there are posts on here somewhere. Or have I missed a joke here?

I had vw recovery out yesterday for my t6 with a funny burning smell from the back wheels, turns out it is something to do with the diesel filter exhaust system or something which clears itself out every so often when you stop and chucks the gas out the exhaust, which is near the back wheels. Therefore when you stop and get out the van you smell it from near the rear wheel on the drivers side in the uk. Had brakes checked and they were all ok. I think vw recovery may be getting a few calls about this one...

Is the smell anything to do with the AdBlu system on your T6 that injects the liquid towards the rear of the exhaust system?

I know of some EU6 VW cars that can sometimes smell like someone's stripping paint with a blow torch while the DPF is getting regenerated, including after having switched off the engine. Quite disconcerting until you get used to it. No mention in the handbook, and it was more thanks to another great user forum like this one that people got to know that it was normal.

Is the smell anything to do with the AdBlu system on your T6 that injects the liquid towards the rear of the exhaust system?
I think the adblue is injected after the catalytic converter but before the DPF to improve the process, I saw a vw video on YT that demonstrated it, but it might smell when burnt as it's basically Urea, the video mentions it creates ammonia.

This explains it well;
this is the layout the Cali has;
2016-05-26_11-45-43.png

Last edited:
I believe the sequence is catalytic converter, onto dpf, then onto scr before tailpipe

We have got the same burning rubber smell than nutty123, after 700 km from our Cali delivery.
That's seem in connection with the start-stop function. Now, that's seem over, but i'm not very fond of with this technology.
Is somebody know the real advantage, in matter of consumption, we save with it?

We have got the same burning rubber smell than nutty123, after 700 km from our Cali delivery.
That's seem in connection with the start-stop function. Now, that's seem over, but i'm not very fond of with this technology.
Is somebody know the real advantage, in matter of consumption, we save with it?
Yes. Start stop definitely helps. See this video

When starting on a cold morning, turn off start stop until the engine reaches temperature. Beyond that it then behaves very reliably.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back