Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My New T6 Funny smell near the back wheels

N

nutty123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. A very exciting Friday at 1.30 my wife and I picking our new t6 cali up. Out on our first one day trip to Liverpool "men in the sea ". We did experience a smell from the back near the back wheels could this be a running in smell ?? And the stop start some times doesn't work any one else no if this is normal before going back to the dealership which I don't want to do if someone gas a clue.

Could be just the heat of stuff running and being used for the first time like brakes, exhaust etc.
First time you fire up the air heater will produce plenty of smell.

I've not noticed a smell from the back, is this outside and what does it smell like?

As for the stop start, mine has a will of its own too, it stops when I don't want it to and keeps running when I think stopping the engine would be OK. I think it's all to do with the battery charge and engine temperature but it's seems pretty random to me. All in all I think it's a damn nuisance and saves no fuel, so I turn mine off; it's the co- pilots job to turn it off, top left button on the dash, when she remembers!

I've not noticed a smell from the back, is this outside and what does it smell like?

As for the stop start, mine has a will of its own too, it stops when I don't want it to and keeps running when I think stopping the engine would be OK. I think it's all to do with the battery charge and engine temperature but it's seems pretty random to me. All in all I think it's a damn nuisance and saves no fuel, so I turn mine off; it's the co- pilots job to turn it off, top left button on the dash, when she remembers!

Careful!

She might just remind you that the captain sits in the left hand seat :D

The stop/start is dependent on a number of factors, including, as said above, battery charge, engine temperature, other systems running etc.

The stop/start is dependent on a number of factors, including, as said above, battery charge, engine temperature, other systems running etc.

Does the start/stop works when the aircon in on?
I'm not in favor of start/stop , think it will shorten the life of the starterbat. and starter
I know that many people having it on their car , intent to turn it off...
So whats the use of having a "greener " car but just on paper...?

On-topic : stange smells on a new car ar common , just keep an eye ( or nose) on it.

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of start/stop , think it will shorten the life of the starterbat. and starter

On-topic : stange smells on a new car ar common , just keep an eye ( or nose) on it.

Yes.

I'm sure the smell is just first time use so, as others say, just keep an eye on it.

Have you used the heater yet - that'll really shock you with the burn-in smell. But it disappears never to return after about 30 mins use.

Read the manual about start /stop. It'll work with the air conditioning on, but not if the ambient temp is below 20 degrees, or you are stopped on a hill, or the engine temperature is below 80 degrees, or you have stopped at a red traffic light in the last 20 mins, or you have an elderly aunt in the passenger seat.................

Or something like that. I'm sure they could have made it more complicated if they'd tried a bit harder.

As said probably just new smells but try putting your hand carefully on the wheel hub. If its hot it may be a brake binding, unlikely but possible.

Yes. If Air Con set below 20c then depending on ambient temperature StopStart maybe disabled.

Hi. A very exciting Friday at 1.30 my wife and I picking our new t6 cali up. Out on our first one day trip to Liverpool "men in the sea ". We did experience a smell from the back near the back wheels could this be a running in smell ?? And the stop start some times doesn't work any one else no if this is normal before going back to the dealership which I don't want to do if someone gas a clue.
same experience with start/stop first days we had our T6, don't worry if it does not work for one reason or another it is showing the symbol on the dashboard and VW engineers have a good reason for it.
About the smell: maybe check your handbrake again , I managed to drive away with handbrake not fully disengaged an no warning on dashboard . If this is the case you may find accelerations dissapointing but since the car is new you have no reference for what is normal ..
Another source for the smell can be the coupling of 4 motion if you let the coupling slip too much , something I did once during first week of ownership..

Last edited:
Start/Stop to me seems to have a lot to do with how firmly you push the brake pedal down - I've pretty much got it nailed now as to when I let it cut out (DSG) in slow moving traffic & at junctions.

Well thank you all for all your advice and knowledge and I do agree with the comment regarding leaving the hand brake on. As I think this may of happen on the drive home. After our first big trip to the Lakes still a little smell but not as obvious. The Stop And Start well God knows what's happening in think I'm going to turn it off full stop, I do also think this has to ruin the engine eventually. Does anyone know how to make the plug socket work when unhooked?? As out kettle wouldn't heat up ?

It will only work on hook up, otherwise resort to a good old fashioned whistling kettle on the gas!

I've noticed a very strong burning smell a couple of times . Was told it was the diesel particulate filter regenerating . Great van . 2015 dsg 4 motion 9k

I've noticed a very strong burning smell a couple of times . Was told it was the diesel particulate filter regenerating . Great van . 2015 dsg 4 motion 9k
I sometimes get a sort of burning rubber smell which I am led to believe is the DFP regeneration process. It is always at the back of the Cali near the rear wheels.

I sometimes get a sort of burning rubber smell which I am led to believe is the DFP regeneration process. It is always at the back of the Cali near the rear wheels.

The DPF is directly behind the engine nowhere near the rear wheels, you must have got something else hotter the usual.

We seem to get a smell of bacon quite a lot in ours ... :)

Back