Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

nah then....give me some flak. anyone gone from a beach to an ocean?

wbac offered 24100. just stopped laughing.

Just been offered 35,500. Silver and dsg 11k miles.

We sold our SE (Ocean) last September. Having lived without it since then we test drove a Beach. For us it works way better - lighter, nicer to drive, less stuff to be broken (my wifes main complaint was tetris constantly shifting stuff around and it all being a bit fragile) and a bit more adapatable. OK so not as useful for camping but a beach with parking heater would be our perfect vehicle, if only it came in 4motion.

What were the actual prices they were advertised for on the VW site versus the WBAC quote?

WBAC haha I wouldn’t trust them putting my dogs s@#t in a bin

Why is that ?
It seems a couple of owners have had good results from them
lately.
Complete random prices from one end of the scale to the other, they valued mine at 39k then when they got here they tried to knock 5k off because I had non vw Wheels on(they are genuine sportline) and because it had 457 miles on the clock when I said it had 350 miles. He nearly left with my size ten up his arse

Complete random prices from one end of the scale to the other, they valued mine at 39k then when they got here they tried to knock 5k off because I had non vw Wheels on(they are genuine sportline) and because it had 457 miles on the clock when I said it had 350 miles. He nearly left with my size ten up his arse
Understandable, thanks for the info.

seems like pure luck with wbac. strange when I entered my number plate on their site it got the vans year and colour wrong.? hmmmm......

A bit late to this topic, but, what is your main reason to do this? Tax reasons?
Because you can get, at least in many European countries, your California Beach registered as a camper, by just adding a "kitchen pod" (which can be made for about €200 from Ikea Alex, use search) and doing the paperwork for an individually converted vehicle into 'camper'.
Or if you really want the full kitchen as well, or something qualitative that comes very close, have a look at maxxcamp.. you could even swap the 3-seater bench for a 2-seater bench or a smaller 3-seater bench from non-VW brands to have the full side of the cali for kitchen cupboard etc. I guess I'd still be cheaper.

Apparently in the Netherlands it's fairly easy to have the conversion done. Mine was one in Belgium, took 9months for the paperwork unfortunately... Not sure about UK, but have you looked into it

I would love a coast! I would prefer not to have the electric roof and such. :)
I definately think that there would be a strong market for the coast in the UK. As far as I'm aware it seems to be basically an Ocean without the makeup.

The Ocean comes with a whole host of standard features that I suspect would either be options or not available on a UK Coast, the manual roof being a good example and I don't see that as being a bad thing. For anyone looking for a campervan and that all important sense of freedom that goes with it, then I'm sure the coast would give you at least 99%, if not 100% of that experience. The extra toys and bling on the Ocean are lovely but actually do nothing to improve that strong basic free spirited gypsyesque travelling feeling that one gets in a Cali.

However, I don't think we'll ever see the Coast coming to the UK primarily due to the current VW UK pricing strategy. There must be a good deal more profit in an Ocean than the Coast. It seems to me that the basic vehicle Is broadly the same but with the Ocean, VW have added different finishes and fabrics and a lot more of their expensive options. So they have, in effect, added value to their basic product thus enabling the potential for more profit.

So where would they pitch the price of a UK Coast? It would have to be below that of the basic Ocean and above that of the Beach. However that gap isn't that great at present, so the way I see it is that they would either have to drop the Beach prices or raise those of the basic Ocean. Guess where my money would lie on that wager? I suspect that this would in turn lead to a drop in sales of the more profitable Ocean and possibly also the Beach as well.

So, I may have this all wrong but IMO there ain't gonna be a UK Coast.

I definately think that there would be a strong market for the coast in the UK. As far as I'm aware it seems to be basically an Ocean without the makeup.

The Ocean comes with a whole host of standard features that I suspect would either be options or not available on a UK Coast, the manual roof being a good example and I don't see that as being a bad thing. For anyone looking for a campervan and that all important sense of freedom that goes with it, then I'm sure the coast would give you at least 99%, if not 100% of that experience. The extra toys and bling on the Ocean are lovely but actually do nothing to improve that strong basic free spirited gypsyesque travelling feeling that one gets in a Cali.

However, I don't think we'll ever see the Coast coming to the UK primarily due to the current VW UK pricing strategy. There must be a good deal more profit in an Ocean than the Coast. It seems to me that the basic vehicle Is broadly the same but with the Ocean, VW have added different finishes and fabrics and a lot more of their expensive options. So they have, in effect, added value to their basic product thus enabling the potential for more profit.

So where would they pitch the price of a UK Coast? It would have to be below that of the basic Ocean and above that of the Beach. However that gap isn't that great at present, so the way I see it is that they would either have to drop the Beach prices or raise those of the Basic Ocean. Guess where my money would lie on that wager? I suspect that this would in turn lead to a drop in sales of the profitable Ocean and possibly also the Beach as well.

So I may have this all wrong but IMO there ain't gonna be a UK Coast.

The Beach must be the most profitable by far.

The Beach buyer is definitely short changed in regards to standard spec for the price.

The Beach must be the most profitable by far.

The Beach buyer is definitely short changed in regards to standard spec for the price.
I totally agree about the cost of the Beach but the comparison on this point should really between the Ocean and the Coast as they are very similar in construction and would attract the same group of potential buyers. The Beach is really a different vehicle that suits owners with a greater range of varied requirements. Anyway the relevant point is that I can't see VW ever dropping the price of the Beach in order to slot the Beach into the line up.

Now we are well off topic.

With regards to your original question; we did go from a 2015 Beach to pre-reg Ocean at the start of this year. We have only done a couple of trips so far but here’s what we’ve discovered;
Whilst the beach is better for every day errands, when it comes to camping and adventures, the Ocean wins it hands down for us.
For example, two weeks ago, we were snowed in at the Highlands End meet. In the Beach, this would have meant lots of popping in and out to the awning for brews (I drink A LOT of tea!) and letting all the heat out, and dragging mud in! In the Ocean, the kettle is always on the hob, ready to go!
In the same way, the Ocean is great for lazy mornings. The other half and I slide downstairs in PJ’s abs often have three or four cups of tea before opening the sliding door and facing the day. We could never do that in the Beach, because once the sliding door opens, the dogs leap into action and want to start their day.
As I type, we are heading down to the South of France. We’ve done a quick over night stop outside Calais and it’s so easy in the Ocean; just pop the roof and you’re done and not having to mess about with the boxes in the boot every time you park up.
I’m also a bit of a neat freak and LOVE that everything has its place in the Ocean. The boxes in the Beach used to drive me right up the wall!
We have two retriever sized dogs and I would say that the only down side of the Ocean is the reduced cabin space in the back for them, but we’ve overcome this by traveling with the seats permanently made up as a bed. They now travel around like little princes.
Overall, I honestly don’t think that we would have even considered trading the Beach in for an Ocean if the right van hadn’t have popped up on my inbox. But when one in our ‘perfect’ spec made itself known, we knew it was the right time to just go for it!

D93AC904-15C0-438C-8D80-D4D536EE54C9.jpeg

With regards to your original question; we did go from a 2015 Beach to pre-reg Ocean at the start of this year. We have only done a couple of trips so far but here’s what we’ve discovered;
Whilst the beach is better for every day errands, when it comes to camping and adventures, the Ocean wins it hands down for us.
For example, two weeks ago, we were snowed in at the Highlands End meet. In the Beach, this would have meant lots of popping in and out to the awning for brews (I drink A LOT of tea!) and letting all the heat out, and dragging mud in! In the Ocean, the kettle is always on the hob, ready to go!
In the same way, the Ocean is great for lazy mornings. The other half and I slide downstairs in PJ’s abs often have three or four cups of tea before opening the sliding door and facing the day. We could never do that in the Beach, because once the sliding door opens, the dogs leap into action and want to start their day.
As I type, we are heading down to the South of France. We’ve done a quick over night stop outside Calais and it’s so easy in the Ocean; just pop the roof and you’re done and not having to mess about with the boxes in the boot every time you park up.
I’m also a bit of a neat freak and LOVE that everything has its place in the Ocean. The boxes in the Beach used to drive me right up the wall!
We have two retriever sized dogs and I would say that the only down side of the Ocean is the reduced cabin space in the back for them, but we’ve overcome this by traveling with the seats permanently made up as a bed. They now travel around like little princes.
Overall, I honestly don’t think that we would have even considered trading the Beach in for an Ocean if the right van hadn’t have popped up on my inbox. But when one in our ‘perfect’ spec made itself known, we knew it was the right time to just go for it!

View attachment 31577

Sounds like you weren’t very well organised in your Beach.
I’ve had the kitchen thing before buying the Beach and now wouldn’t revert back...
I guess it’s horses for courses.

The longer I’ve lived, used and experienced campervans, I’ve discovered the most important thing wether it be Ocean, Beach or Coast is keep the van as basic as possible. Especially if you plan on keeping it long term and out of warranty.
DSG, Electric roofs, powered doors and trickery this and that, is just not needed if you want a reliable long term camping vehicle.

DSG, Electric roofs, powered doors and trickery this and that, is just not needed if you want a reliable long term camping vehicle.

Tend to agree. The automatic tailgate lift on our Volvo failed (out of warranty) so we put in an old-school gas strut. Sorted.

Wish we could have had a Coast, with a manual pop top. If the electro-hydraulic roof on our SE fails at some point I wonder if you can switch to a manual roof?

thinking of changing my wonderful beach to an ocean. anyone done this.? I assume yes. what's your thoughts. my concern is money. don't want April 2017 tax bills for a start. apart from the forum . what's the best way to sell? auto trader?. any advice,smart arse comments or stories all appreciated.
Why are you fancying swapping to the Ocean/SE, what is it you are after that the Beach may not be hitting the spot?

View attachment 31577
Excellant post.
Why didn't you brew up inside your Beach? Just curious. :thumb

Tend to agree. The automatic tailgate lift on our Volvo failed (out of warranty) so we put in an old-school gas strut. Sorted.

Wish we could have had a Coast, with a manual pop top. If the electro-hydraulic roof on our SE fails at some point I wonder if you can switch to a manual roof?

The older Volkswagens have survived the test of time because they were basic and reliable.
I wonder which of the T5 & 6s we will see driving around 20 years from now...?

A lot of the posh, plusher items don’t make camping any better. It’s just satisfies the need for a more luxurious driving experience and the guy down the pub who needs something bigger and better than his next door neighbor.

Read on Facebook about a lady who had a DSG fail, a couple of weeks out of warranty and a £6500 bill.
It wouldn’t cost half that for a manual replacement.

Back