Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Naming ceremony and the first adventure please?

We bought privately which was a different experience than going to a dealer, still as exciting nonetheless. We couldn't get away in it as a family straight away, however I was racing in Round the Island 2017 and I got to stay the first night in it on my own at the sailing club where we were launching from at 4am.

Cali001.jpg

The following weekend we managed a weekend in Weymouth as a family and by that point, we had a number of accessories that were added and trialled, notably the awning.

lesson 1 - Park Cali. Pop roof. Swivel seats. Open beer. Attach awning.

The awning anywhere else in that sequence is cause for frustration and generally a bad start to the trip!

As for the name, we've had a lot of debate and to be honest, we've given our four year old twins a bit too much say in the matter. However, I am starting to warm to the name 'Everest'. it is certainly better than 'Blaze'.

Very probably @GrannyJen
I think that he certainly shares his rebellious streak. You have opened my eyes as to how many Louis there were!

The reason that I asked is I do not want any misunderstandings should we meet :D

The biggest thorn in the side of louis the German was the Hattonin ruler Adalbert. Luis, meet Albert :shocked

We picked up ours 4 years ago. But we have not been able to name ours yet, since we are still undecided whether it is a 'he' or a 'she'... :(

Our first trip was to an off-road training, since we wanted to know what our 4Motion was capable off. Some of our off-road adventures have been documented on this forum before, including this first training. But for those who haven't seen it before, here a repost of the impression of our first trip/training, 4 years ago:

We picked up ours 4 years ago. But we have not been able to name ours yet, since we are still undecided whether it is a 'he' or a 'she'... :(

Just check the towing hitch. If its fixed then it's male, if its removable...............well, you get the idea! :thumb

Last edited:
Many common themes with a little keystone cops thrown in - first trip in Herman ( imagination never a major strength ) we zoomed proudly down to Penwith and the brilliant Treen ( no booking, take your chances edge of the world etc..) campsite . Initial confidence got a little shaky as we wondered whether |Herman would fit through the ( to us not being familiar with anything much bigger than a Golf ) narrow stone bracketed entrance, but built encouragingly as we found a pitch overlooking the sea and the Minack Theatre - great day despite being November so having successfully put the roof up thought I'd have a go with the awning . Remembered the handover bit about not winding it out too far before putting the legs down but then completely forgot how to release the legs. Fortuitously the great Cali Deity was on duty and in response to many imprecations - into a nearly empty campsite rolling in against the sun an equally pristine Cali cruised up and parked opposite ...... salvation. A little embarrassing to discover that the occupants had rented theirs for the first time but had taken the trouble to read the manual and without any (understandable...) visible scorn showed me how it was done..... And also how to get the table out of the door.... and also about midnight how to switch off the internal alarms that I had stupidly activated ....and also how to get the roof down the next morning .....and also ....................

Looking a little less understanding our new best friends disappeared .....

I then got the manual out ......

three years later there are still many sections I have yet to read..... if you see a natural grey 180 anywhere around Cornwall my advice would be to drive on quickly......

Back