Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

neat roof mounted solar panels

inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I have been looking through the forum for solar panel ideas ,and the general opinion is to fit to the roof. In the gallery, "pirat" has posted a picture of their panels fitted onto their roof rack.This looks a very neat way to solve attaching panels to the vehicle.
Are these custom made brackets or a modified roof rack or are they available somewhere.
many thanks
dave and lisa :grin:

Check out this site, he used a standard pv panel

http://tim28.web.officelive.com/solar.aspx

Bear in mind this will increase the height of your cali by around 10 cm

thanks for the link ,but couldnt bring myself to glue them to the roof,
it looks like "pirat "has fitted them to some sort of roofrack which seems a much better idea
thanks dave

Hadn't looked at pirat's photo. Looks like he made a frame for the panels & fitted lugs that go into the roof channels. Seems like a good alternative to 'gluing to the roof. It's got me thinking !
Would still need some sort of control unit.

looks like the way forward to me without damaging the roof and also should be easily removable
dave

Been looking at the specs of the panels I have on my roof, they are 16.5 KGs each !! So with two on a frame it is going to be a two person job to mount & remove !
Width between cali roof tracks is 1215mm x 1700 long. Trying to find cost of two panels that would fit.

I feel I have to say something relating the panels:

Click the image

No drilling or cutting for the spiral cable going from outside to inside. I cut just a tiny hole in the black rubber gromet to bring the cable into the rear wardrobe. ...
Click the image

...where the controller is placed. From the controller a cable straight down to the 3rd Battery with direct connection to positive and negative terminal posts. Fuse in the plus line.
Click the image

The whole set-up on the roof is removed easily inside of 10 minutes by myself without any help, cable unplugs at the shown position. Carriage bolts hold the aluminium angle sections on the roof and make a sort of "roof rack", but a very low one, complete elevation gain is less than 2".
Panels have an output of 60 wpk each. During a 6 weeks holiday (only wild camping) I switch on the fridge when I leave home and switch off when I come back. Its even good for an everyday TV-night with news and film.

Pirat

thanks for all the info and excellent pics
as i have previously mentioned , in my opinion the best solar panel set up i have seen by a mile :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb
dave

Stewart MCG said:
Very neat, does the connection from the solar panels fit between the rear door and body work prior to being fed through the rubber gromet. :thumb
Yes, runs easily through the gap.

Hello,
I am new in the club and newer took part in the forum before.
I am an italian California owner, so forgive my english.
I want to mount a solar panel on my van, I have already prepared the structure (I will post it when ready, it is very low!)
I will take the clue from Pirat on how to get the wirings inside (Thank you)
But I am not sure on how to connect it to the electrical system.
I would like the panel to charge both the leisure batteries on my 2006 T5
could anyone help?
Thank you.
Paolo

Attachments

• Electrical system.tiff
    556 KB · Views: 849
Hi there paolo
I am no expert on this but have read someware that you will need a regulator connected
Inbetween the solar panels and battery something called a Mppt solar regulator
Hope this helps you if you google it you may find out more :thumb

thank you Calikev.
I know about the regulator.
I already had the solar panel, regulator, gel battery, inverter and refrigerator set on my old Multivan,and it was running very well. But it was separated from the electric sistem ofthe van.
This time is very important to connect the regulator in the exact point of the sistem to avoid
disasters.
Thank you anyway.
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Bet the Sun is shinning more in Italy then it is here in the UK.

You could try sending Pirat a Personal Message, PM, to find out where to connect the regulator into the Cali electrical system.

Just click on New Message, at the top of the forum, then click on New PM

John

no good if you fit a rear roof spoiler like i have .i drilled in the roof under were the roof hinge is for my L.E.D lights on my owning :D

In our new Cali guidebook it says something like achtung! never try to connect solar panels - a very firm prohibition, in any case. Just as well as the wife is solar panel mad!

Dear Jhon, I have already sent him a message (I am totally new in any kind of forum, and I am still learning how it works. For example I don't know if this is a private answer or not. never mind.)
The problem is that now I am a bit worried about what Geoffb sais.
And moreover I didn't understand what T5WOB says. (sorry, my english have some limits)
Thank you for your advices.
Paolo.

what i said was if you have a tailgate spoiler you would see the wire going over the spoiler on top of your tail gate .hope this help you . :D

Thank you T5WOB,
now is perfectly clear.
By the way, I saw your terrific Van on Kerbside kustoms!

paolo said:
Thank you T5WOB,
now is perfectly clear.
By the way, I saw your terrific Van on Kerbside kustoms!
thanks for saying that about my van :barmy .230 bhp now [album]106[/album]

Has anyone tried this type of approach as not wishing to have a permanent solution, more of an occasional use, for example at this weeks GP at silverstone (come on button sort yourself out!). Normally get between 3-4 days out of the batteries with cautious use however will probably be drained quicker this weekend. Noticed Maplin have a 60w kit on offer at £149;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-solar-power ... gn=12P7-13

I know the normal 4 - 10w kits are a waste of time but wondered if this approach would work, especially in France this summer when might have some sunshine!

Back