Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

neat roof mounted solar panels

paolo said:
thank you Calikev.
I know about the regulator.
I already had the solar panel, regulator, gel battery, inverter and refrigerator set on my old Multivan,and it was running very well. But it was separated from the electric sistem ofthe van.
This time is very important to connect the regulator in the exact point of the sistem to avoid
disasters.
Thank you anyway.
Paolo

@paolo I was wondering if you ever figured out where on the system to connect the solar regulator to? I just created a new post and that was one of my questions because I'm not sure if on the t4 californias if there's a better way to wire it up than just connect straight from the regulator to the leisure battery. I wonder if there's not a regulator already in the existing circuit for charging from mains and the engine?

I would connect the solar regulator straight to the battery. So, panel -> regulator -> battery.

You don't want to connect to the charger, that expects 220v AC input. You don't want to connect via the split charge system as that just detects cranking battery voltage and determines when it is high enough to share the alternator's output with the leisure batteries.

The solar regulator will produce a regulated output suitable for charging the 12v leisure batteries directly, it is what they are designed to do.

hth,
dan

I've thought about fitting solar panel(s) as I have fitted them on previous vans (and have them on my house!) but I cannot justify the cost.

Why? The batteries last 4-5 days (3.5 on the hottest day this year) and then you can run the van for 20-30 minutes (watching for the level of charge going into the batteries) if you need to top up.

Anyone want to do the maths on how many lots of 25 minute running it will take to recoup a >£200 investment?

my problem has been the starter battery going flat .from the electric doors .roof and the lights on the door steps running it flat :headband .so i went for a solar panel just for the stater battery .the heater will run the leisure battery down to .i can see were your coming from .but my prob was i could not start it . :headbang .

I suppose you could switch off the electric door function whilst on-site and change the bulbs in the step lights to LED?

WelshGas said:
I suppose you could switch off the electric door function whilst on-site and change the bulbs in the step lights to LED?
all lights are L.E.D. i do not have them on any more .as for the door .always leave it on . :eek:

So it is the electric door that is the problem, and is presumably, only a problem when camping without an electric hook up?
Could you not use something like a Portable Power Start system to jump start the engine. Cheaper, can be used on other vehicles and has other uses.

WelshGas said:
So it is the electric door that is the problem, and is presumably, only a problem when camping without an electric hook up?
Could you not use something like a Portable Power Start system to jump start the engine. Cheaper, can be used on other vehicles and has other uses.
i keep big jump leads under the seat .but since i have been useing the solar panel ,all has been ok .i plug it in to the cigeret lighter socket when camping .with and with out electric . :crazy ,

I thought the dashboard 12vsocket was ignition controlled , ie; not live without the ignition on, and that it was the only one connected to the engine battery?

WelshGas said:
I thought the dashboard 12vsocket was ignition controlled , ie; not live without the ignition on, and that it was the only one connected to the engine battery?
engine battery is were i have the probs .as elertric door and door step lights run off the engine battery .

So T5WOB, the dashboard 12v socket is constantly live?

My cup holder socket is constantly live (dashboard one is a retro fit) . I am charging the vehicle battery via it as I type this.

WelshGas said:
So T5WOB, the dashboard 12v socket is constantly live?
mate is a VAG technician at vanwork portland .said solar panel will charg main engine battery .i have had no problems starting the van now .i have left my van for 2 weeks on the drive and have had flat battery .now i use the solar panel. plugged in been no problens at all .camping or just left on drive . ;)

T5WOB said:
my problem has been the starter battery going flat .from the electric doors .roof and the lights on the door steps running it flat :headbang .so i went for a solar panel just for the stater battery .the heater will run the leisure battery down to .i can see were your coming from .but my prob was i could not start it . :headbang .

You're right T5WOB! My roof goes up when the van is running, then I turn off the door and the step lights, THEN open a beer :thumb

johnyboy said:
T5WOB said:
my problem has been the starter battery going flat .from the electric doors .roof and the lights on the door steps running it flat :headbang .so i went for a solar panel just for the stater battery .the heater will run the leisure battery down to .i can see were your coming from .but my prob was i could not start it . :headbang .

You're right T5WOB! My roof goes up when the van is running, then I turn off the door and the step lights, THEN open a beer :thumb
a cold beer i hope :hello

pirat said:
I feel I have to say something relating the panels:

Click the image

No drilling or cutting for the spiral cable going from outside to inside. I cut just a tiny hole in the black rubber gromet to bring the cable into the rear wardrobe. ...
Click the image

...where the controller is placed. From the controller a cable straight down to the 3rd Battery with direct connection to positive and negative terminal posts. Fuse in the plus line.
Click the image

The whole set-up on the roof is removed easily inside of 10 minutes by myself without any help, cable unplugs at the shown position. Carriage bolts hold the aluminium angle sections on the roof and make a sort of "roof rack", but a very low one, complete elevation gain is less than 2".
Panels have an output of 60 wpk each. During a 6 weeks holiday (only wild camping) I switch on the fridge when I leave home and switch off when I come back. Its even good for an everyday TV-night with news and film.

Pirat

I don't seem to be able to view the images, not sure why? Interested to see this setup as I like the idea of it not being a permanent fix.

cleve said:
pirat said:
I feel I have to say something relating the panels:

Click the image

No drilling or cutting for the spiral cable going from outside to inside. I cut just a tiny hole in the black rubber gromet to bring the cable into the rear wardrobe. ...
Click the image

...where the controller is placed. From the controller a cable straight down to the 3rd Battery with direct connection to positive and negative terminal posts. Fuse in the plus line.
Click the image

The whole set-up on the roof is removed easily inside of 10 minutes by myself without any help, cable unplugs at the shown position. Carriage bolts hold the aluminium angle sections on the roof and make a sort of "roof rack", but a very low one, complete elevation gain is less than 2".
Panels have an output of 60 wpk each. During a 6 weeks holiday (only wild camping) I switch on the fridge when I leave home and switch off when I come back. Its even good for an everyday TV-night with news and film.

Pirat

I don't seem to be able to view the images, not sure why? Interested to see this setup as I like the idea of it not being a permanent fix.

Pirat had his images hosted elsewhere & linked to his post. Not seen him on here for a while. PM me your email addy & I'll send you some photos of solar setup on cali.
I have two thin flexible 100 watt panels that I will bond to my roof after the bubbling has been sorted out by VW.

Afternoon Pirat. I couldn't access your pictures so, as suggested, here's my email address. I'd be really grateful if you could send me the images of how you mounted your panel(s) on the roof as I'm seriously close to doing this myself.
Thanks very much.
Regards,
Mac

Pirat had his images hosted elsewhere & linked to his post. Not seen him on here for a while. PM me your email addy & I'll send you some photos of solar setup on cali.
I have two thin flexible 100 watt panels that I will bond to my roof after the bubbling has been sorted out by VW.
Hi Andy. Any chance you can send me the photos as I want to use the aluminium angle to fix my panel to my roof. My email address is p.mccarthy992@btinternet.com and thanks.
Mac

Sorry I no longer have photos of pirats panels.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Back