Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Netherlands / Belgium Long weekend advice pls

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have just booked a long weekend (4 days, 3 nights) at the end of October arriving Hook of Holland and departure via Calais Eurotunnel.

I had a ferry booking that was put on hold due to COVID restrictions and I have to use it now, or lose it.

i am going with my two children ages 10 and 12

would appreciate any advice of places to visit in that general area, we like wild coastlines, national parks but open to any thing interesting!
Thanks

Rotterdam has nice spots (market, qube houses). You could take the N57 crossing Zeeland towards Terneuzen then coast to Knokke where you have famous ZWIN nature resort. Bruges has a lot to offer for children of that age (Historium, Chocolate Museum, and just a tour trough medieval town). If I'm home, I'm offering a guided tour.
Ostend Christal Ship street art tour. Atlantic wall at Raversyde. Walking the dunes at Koksijde or Zuidcote. The mirror bunker on the beach of Leffrinckoucke.
Definitely you'll have to come back :)
Bart

If you haven't been before a visit to Ypres will help the kids to appreciate the sacrifices of others. Fantastic museum.

At the Menin Gate the Last Post is still observed every evening at 8pm.

Instead of going to Rotterdam, which is a big city, you can also consider to visit South-Holland islands and Zeeland. There are some nice small towns like Brielle, Hellevoetsluis, Zierikzee, Burgh-Haamstede and Middelburg. And of course there is the Zeeland coast with very nice wide beaches. For the kids visiting the Delta works expo at Neeltje Jans (an artificial island) may be attractive. Via Zeeland you can travel to West Flanders easily.

Zeeland coast looks good -- can you recommend any good campsites please? We like basic

Zeeland coast looks good -- can you recommend any good campsites please? We like basic
Well, there are many camping sites in Zeeland, and several "minicampings", meaning small campings with all basic features, that are often part of a farm. I've "pasted" some links below, and a google maps view. Hope it works...
Cheers, Rob

2021-10-11_13-16-27.png

2021-10-11_13-16-52.png

Try to visit the Hague, home to the government, King and Queen, Peace palace, Scheveningen(beach), the Japanese garden in Clingendael, Mauritshuis, Panorama Mesdag, Gevangenpoort and so on.
It’s about a 25 minute drive from the ferry.

When you drive towards the Eurotunnel go through the Islands route N57, N62 into Belgium where you go to the coast to do the N34 which takes you from Knokke-Heist to De Panne and from there the N38, D60, D601 towards Calais.
A detour to Ypres is easy and well worth it.

I like to drive and try avoid the motorways as you can see

We were in Bruges a few days ago, my god it’s stunning!
The architecture and the food is amazing!
Did Ypres last year too, again a stunning place with spine chilling history and a daily display of the last post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in Bruges a few days ago, my god it’s stunning!
The architecture and the food is amazing!
Did Ypres last year too, again a stunning place with spine chilling history and a daily display of the last post

Do you have any recommendations for food pls?
We’ve booked ourselves into the campsite there.

Hellow
Very nice of you to visit Belgium (and the Netherlands too of course).
For food: just stay away from the 'tourist traps' like everywhere; for instance mind the biggest tourist trap: food and drink at the market place (However, the fries vans (“Frietkot”) on the Markt are an institution, just add mayonnaise like we do). So avoid the restaurants around the market place; they are clearly for tourists. Then you'll be fine.
I don't know your preferences for food but you can eat Flemish throughout Bruges. Recently we ate here (I always have trouble recommending places to eat because what I like, someone else may not like) but still: https://www.passagebruges.com/en/p/gran-kaffee

So, When you arrive in Hoek van Holland, Rotterdam is a must, especially as already mentioned: the cube houses, you can also visit them. Worth the effort. https://www.kubuswoning.nl/en/
Then the route N57 that takes you along the Delta Works.
Be sure to stop at the 'Vlietermonument' on the Afsluitdijk: https://www.visitwadden.nl/en/visit/activities/3492045785/vlietermonument-afsluitdijk
Then drive around and take the Westerscheldetunnel (N62).
Still something about food: do you like to eat mussels or other seafood? Otherwise, the Philippines is a nice stopover for that; https://mosselstad.nl/en/
In Bruges (also a great movie) there's a lot to do and see. If you have time, there's also the 'vesten' around town which are a beautiful walk. You can start at the 'Kruispoort' and walk to 'Katelijnebrug'. Or further. This is a lovely piece of the 'vesten'. The 'Kruispoort' is also the gate closest to campsite memling.
And then there is chocolates and beer...
Greetings and if you (and of course any other member of the forum) would stay at memling, if you want, you can sent me a message, if possible, I'll come and say hellow.

Last edited:
A word of caution: the ferry is only for passengers, not cars anymore. You can fetch a good map for Bruges at Concertgebouw, there's a lovely view from the top and interactic music art https://www.concertgebouw.be/en/sound-art.
As Calibusje sais, there are many places to eat, away from the marketplace. Estaminet, Lokkedize, in 't nieuw museum, den huzaar, de twijfelaar, de republiek, are good with children, but there plenty more.
Don't know if we will be en route that weekend, otherwise let us know when you arrive (carobart at scarlet dot be).
Have a good trip!

We only ate waffles in Bruges, place called house of waffles and it was delicious!

Don't visit Het Zwin, it's just a swamp full of rare birds and butterflies.
Lissewege? A dump where time stood still. Like Damme, you've seen its silly windmill along that boring canal at last World Championship Cycling,...
Bruges, forget it! Indeed, just made of fries, waffles and chocolate, and some old Medieval collections. What to expect of a city that gets its beer through the sewer, or invented the Stock Market? Each year they still make some Holy procession as penance for it.
Blankenberge is worth a visit though: its crazy bikes velodrome, and its great Pier. Unfortunately just today they closed that one for 4 years. The only thing left is an aquarium with some sharks and mantra rays,...
Then there is De Haan. Seriously, who's still interested in Belle Epoque ambiance? And it's all they have there!
Further on, some Nudist beaches, a Napoleon Fortress, a Space Science Center,... who cares.
Forget about dusty Oostende, only for rehab (Marvin Gaye, Ensor, crazy uncles like our Kings Leopold 1 to 3, myself,...). The Ostend shrimps and oysters can't make up for all this misery.
Raversijde: if you're silly enough to climb in bunkers, look for British and play with canons? "The best-remained piece of the Atlantic Wall", but you don't even see the Atlantic from there!. They even restored 13th century fishermen's houses. How desperate they must be,...
Nieuwpoort? The biggest marina of Northern Europe. All they talk about is sailing. Young couples even get 10K€ if they want to settle there, no kidding. Says it all, no?.
Oostduinkerke? The last shrimp fisher-by-horse literally dropped dead on his horse last week. Now they take you on boats to get that fishing experience. Ffff...
And to finish this silly strip of 60km Belgian coast you get in De Panne a 30 hectares theme park. Guess what the theme is? Dwarfs, what else?
Sure, you could take the risk of wading deeper into the swamp, like Veurne, or Ieper. They still have an open position for a trumpet player there. But the Belfry is in scaffolds (sorry, this one is my responsibility),...

Just don't take the risk, your kids would get utterly bored, and you will only find some fastfood here.
Definitely don't try Ghent, Antwerp, or the worst, Brussels. They serve Brits for breakfast!

;)

181501_web_prime_rep0043.jpg3006601.jpg3048445.jpg6851893.jpgDSC_0292-e1515857084810.jpgDSC03156.jpgRaversijde_Domain_2009_17.jpgfort_adventure__thumb.jpgshark-tunnels-fade.jpgboottocht-in-brugge_15593_xl.jpg
(If you would be passing Ostend, or Brussels, always happy to fill your new bucket list!)

Last edited:
Don't visit Het Zwin, it's just a swamp full of rare birds and butterflies.
Lissewege? A dump where time stood still. Like Damme, you've seen its silly windmill along that boring canal at last World Championship Cycling,...
Bruges, forget it! Indeed, just made of fries, waffles and chocolate, and some old Medieval collections. What to expect of a city that gets its beer through the sewer, or invented the Stock Market? Each year they still make some Holy procession as penance for it.
Blankenberge is worth a visit though: It's crazy bikes velodrome, and it's great Pier. Unfortunately just today they closed that one for 4 years. The only thing left is an aquarium with some sharks and rays,...
Then there is De Haan. Seriously, who's still interested in Belle Epoque ambiance? And it's all they have there!
Further on, some Nudist beaches, a Napoleon Fortress, a Space Science Center,... who cares.
Forget about dusty Oostende, only for rehab (Marvin Gaye, Ensor, crazy uncles Kings Leopold 1 to 3, myself,...). The Ostend shrimps and oysters can't make up for all this misery.
Raversijde: if you're silly enough to climb in bunkers, look for British and play with canons? "The best-remained piece of the Atlantic Wall", huh, you don't even see the Atlantic from there!. They even restored 13th century fishermen's houses. How desperate they must be over there,...
Nieuwpoort? The biggest marina of Northern Europe. All they talk about is sailing. Young couples even get 10K€ if they want to settle there, no kidding. Says it all, no?.
Oostduinkerke? The last shrimp fisher-by-horse literally dropped dead on his horse last week. Now they take you on boats to get that fishing experience. Ffff...
And to finish this silly strip of 60km Belgian coast you get a 30 hectares theme park. Guess what the theme is? Dwarfs, what else?
Sure, you could take the risk of wading deeper into the swamp, like Veurne, or Ieper. They still have an open position for a trumpet player there. But the Belfry is in scaffolds (sorry, this one is my responsibility),...

Just don't take the risk, your kids would get utterly bored, and you will only find some fast food here.
Definitely don't try Ghent, Antwerp, or the worst, Brussels. They eat Brits for breakfast!

;)

View attachment 85631View attachment 85632View attachment 85633View attachment 85634View attachment 85635View attachment 85636View attachment 85637View attachment 85638View attachment 85639View attachment 85640
(If you would be passing Ostend, or Brussels, always happy to fill your new bucket list!)
Best advertisement for our mini coastline -and more- I've seen in years, just great!

If you haven't been before a visit to Ypres will help the kids to appreciate the sacrifices of others. Fantastic museum.

At the Menin Gate the Last Post is still observed every evening at 8pm.

And if you do go to Ypres, be sure to venture out to Tyne Cot cemetery. There’s also an interesting small private museum at Sanctuary Wood (Hill 62) including ’preserved’ trenches.

Last edited:
And if you do go to Ypres, be sure to venture out to Tyne Cot cemetery. There’s also an interesting small private museum at Sanctuary Wood (Hill 62) including ’preserved’ trenches.
Treat yourself and have a lovely meal, and stay, at this hotel.

We usually consult www.svr.nl for basic camp sites
When passing through Zeeland I have following suggestions:
- Near Westkapelle you can park outside the dykes on the beach if you like (staying overnight is prohibited) See photo.
- A museum about the flood in 1953
- A 500 yr old church in the nice town of Veere, claimed by the British in 1809 to hospitalize soldiers sick with Walcheren disease. Also nice for children. In winter however the tower is closed unfortunately.
- Or the maritime museum in Vlissingen (Flushing)
Westkapelle - 1 van 1.jpeg

Only just realising the joy that complying with the COVID regulations of 4 countries brings!
(Netherlands, Belgium, France, UK)

Flood museum quite impressive, even for children.
As for Covid: this evening new measures expected in Belgium, propably masks again in shops, musea,...

We had a great trip --- thanks all for the tips.

1) We had to slightly change our itinerary to fit with Belgian COVID rules - as if one stays more than 48hrs then one has to get COVID test and quarantine. So we had two nights at the excellent Camping Melming (who gave us a refund for the one night we didn't stay) and also had a night at Minicamping D'ouwe Ploeg in Zeeland (Netherlands) which was great too. Thanks everyone for the campsite recommendations.

2) Ferry over to Hook of Holland from Harwich was OK. But the drive round M25 and up the A12 no better than round M25 and down M20 to Folkestone.

3) NL border controls strict about me travelling solo with my children. Wanted paperwork showing authorisation from their mother. Not had this before in France/Italy. They were polite and respectful but checked the paperwork carefully.

4) Driving in Belgium / Netherlands. There's lots of traffic!!! People seem to drive more carefully/respectfully / slowly than in the UK so a bit less of a hassle than M25! But not the nice open roads of some other places.

5) First day we had an early walk around Delft, which is a lovely town and then we visited the Oostvaardersplassen, which was very interesting to see in real life after having read about it. Was great watching the white tailed eagles. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oostvaardersplassen), had an amazing pizza in "Hilversum" waiting for the traffic to calm down before heading to Zeeland.

6) Zeeland we went for a really pleasant walk along the beach and in the forests on the coast (Aloha Beach) dodging rain showers

7) Bruges -- had a great night time cycle round the old town. My children not really into museums so this was a great way to see the town & fewer people around. Really impressed with the Campsite. Unfortunately raining heavily for much of our time so we went to Carrefour, and then found a horse riding stables and my daughter had a couple of riding lessons. Visited the Het Zwin Nature reserve -- again very interesting but a shame that we hadn't quite enough time to look at the exhibits properly (we arrived late in the day after the rain had stopped)

8) Then a quick drive to Calais for the Eurotunnel back home. Delays at the tunnel entrance meant our trip was about 1hr late. But I think we all felt that tunnel less hassle than ferry (despite the ferry being very comfortable).

Overall, we had a great time and can't wait to return to Belgium & Netherlands again