Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 2019 Beach - Bike rack stolen within 48 hrs

Got our lovely new beach on Wednesday this week and drove back to Bristol.

Looked out the window this am and the genuine VW rack has been stolen overnight - no alarm, no damage just lifted straight off.

Anyone else had this? Would have thought they would have been more secure to be honest.

I'm not getting a replacement - managed to get a towbar and Thule bike racks booked in before our holiday on the 18th. Better for the autoroutes anyway just not as convenient for day to day (I'd already used the rack yesterday!)

Bit of a disappointing start!
I’ve read a few threads on here about stolen VW bike racks.
With the current trend for Campervans, DIY especially, it's looking like the steal it rather than buy it fraternity are getting more active.
Is it possible that they are being stolen just for scrap aluminium?
I know that scrap metal thieves would quite happily cut up a perfectly good set of extension ladders for the scrap value of aluminium.

I’ve read a few threads on here about stolen VW bike racks.

Is it possible that they are being stolen just for scrap aluminium?
I know that scrap metal thieves would quite happily cut up a perfectly good set of extension ladders for the scrap value of aluminium.
I suppose it’s possible but when you’ve gone to the trouble of getting them off the van (which we now know is relatively simple), why would you not maximise their worth. Sell them off on eBay or Craig’s list etc, no questions asked. Rather than putting it in the melting pot for a few quid.