Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach impressions. 204bhp 4motion

Have NEVER set any "Time " function for the heater. Just select Temperature Level and On.:thumb

Quite agree gassy one, but if you do select time controls so the clock symbol would appear in place of the roaring flames symbol.

Being quite simple I just assumes as roaring flames had been replaced by clock symbol that there may be similarities between SE and beach.

Clearly I was wrong to even suggest something so simplistic :eek:

It shuts off completely. No noises no warmth from the vent and display goes to a clock mode.
Hi - you will find you are setting the run down timer - i did that initially, but after a bit of fiddling i can get mine to stay on all night. The instructions are poor, and the controller is not intuitive. I have not cracked the full functionality, but i can operate it without cutting out

If you want to sleep up top, definitely get yourself an external roof topper. I have the Comfortz one (which is extremely well made and being a VIP member you get a good discount on!).
Consider also the Comfortz internal topper, which stays in place all the time.

Have NEVER set any "Time " function for the heater. Just select Temperature Level and On
Thats me also. And my control panel has repeated been switched off and on. And there is definitely nothing programmed.
I'll be checking again next week when I'm away again.

Well according to manuals you can set time, level and program up to 3? schedules. Nothing else on modes etc.
Another thing, can you change the level during the run? doesn't it affect the program?

Consider also the Comfortz internal topper, which stays in place all the time.
I like that outer topper gives more space between 2 layers. Afraid that internal one will be same wet in heavy rains. Is outer comfortz topper completely waterproof?

I like that outer topper gives more space between 2 layers. Afraid that internal one will be same wet in heavy rains. Is outer comfortz topper completely waterproof?
Yes, and it folds up into a waterproof bag that slides in with one of the chairs in the tailgate.

Well according to manuals you can set time, level and program up to 3? schedules. Nothing else on modes etc.
Another thing, can you change the level during the run? doesn't it affect the program?
Need to clear something up here - the Beach aux heating controller is not the same as the SE / Ocean controller - it looks and operates differently. The unit in the Beach is simple to use but confusing, and it is easy to set the timer without realising. You need to see the infinity symbol in the corner to know it will stay on until switched off manually. VW should issue a proper instruction PDF so we dont have to guess. I think i might start a new thread on this

Need to clear something up here - the Beach aux heating controller is not the same as the SE / Ocean controller - it looks and operates differently. The unit in the Beach is simple to use but confusing, and it is easy to set the timer without realising. You need to see the infinity symbol in the corner to know it will stay on until switched off manually. VW should issue a proper instruction PDF so we dont have to guess. I think i might start a new thread on this
Quote!!

Nice to see another IKEA Alex made it into a beach :)
Me myself I'm about to ugprade mine with 2x USB socket, 1x battery tester and 1x 12v socket for the fridge. Parts are here, just need some time.

Yes waterproof - it's also easy enough to fit to a beach. Pop the roof up to the 10 cm stop and then fit the front corners - go round the back and pull the back down a bit (just to stop it coming off in lift). Lift roof being careful not to catch on awning. Pull down cover and get the fit correct and attach to rails. A plastic fold up step makes this much easier.

In order to remove it, need to put the roof down, right? Just worried I can't see bellows this way.

You can have an outer one as well. I have one, but never used it since I got the internal. Taking it off in heavy rain and folding it up on a muddy campsite put me off it! :D

In order to remove it, need to put the roof down, right? Just worried I can't see bellows this way.
You can see it's all folding correctly from the inside - pop your head in as you pull it down. The advantage to external is it keeps the roof material dry, so in the winter it's less of a hassle to have to raise the roof to dry it out when you get home.

You can have an outer one as well. I have one, but never used it since I got the internal. Taking it off in heavy rain and folding it up on a muddy campsite put me off it! :D
Don't both bellows and that inside cozy get wet in a heavy rain?

The Internal Cozy keeps dry and hence the upstairs mattress is protected from the wet canvas when the roof is closed. However the Roof canvas still gets wet in bad weather and you still have to dry the canvas ASAP.
The External Cozy, has to be put on each time BUT does keep the canvas dry.

So internal is more practical overall?

So internal is more practical overall?
Depends what you want. Both act as insulators but only the External keeps the Canvas dry.
Internal can be left in place External has to be put on and taken off.
Suppose it depends how fit you are. Personally I prefer the extra effort because if I've used it because of wet weather then I can close the roof and not have to worry about being able to dry the canvas, also you don't end up with the wet canvas sealed within the vehicle until dried properly.

Depends what you want. Both act as insulators but only the External keeps the Canvas dry.
Internal can be left in place External has to be put on and taken off.
Suppose it depends how fit you are. Personally I prefer the extra effort because if I've used it because of wet weather then I can close the roof and not have to worry about being able to dry the canvas, also you don't end up with the wet canvas sealed within the vehicle until dried properly.
I really like my external topper, the only drawback is taking it off in wet weather as it is quite tricky to fold it up neatly without laying it down, any tips WG?

The rain doesn't penetrate the inner cozy, but there is probably some moisture inside the gap. All I do is raise the roof when it's dry at home and open the inner zips to allow the air to circulate. If it's raining when you pack up you will need to dry something when you get home; an outer one will be wet and possibly the bellows will have got wet while you were packing up.

It boils down to personal preference, like manual v DSG, Beach v Ocean, 204 v 150bhp, etc etc :D

I really like my external topper, the only drawback is taking it off in wet weather as it is quite tricky to fold it up neatly without laying it down, any tips WG?
I just give it a good shake and roughly fold it up inside to inside and stuff it in the bag. If being used constantly then the bag stays in the back when travelling. When home then peg it on a line in the shed and then fold it up properly and replace in tailgate. In winter if rain is not forecast then we don't use it.

Nice to see another IKEA Alex made it into a beach :)
Me myself I'm about to ugprade mine with 2x USB socket, 1x battery tester and 1x 12v socket for the fridge. Parts are here, just need some time.
Got those already. Did you find a decent current draw monitor to see the load on the battery.

The rain doesn't penetrate the inner cozy, but there is probably some moisture inside the gap. All I do is raise the roof when it's dry at home and open the inner zips to allow the air to circulate. If it's raining when you pack up you will need to dry something when you get home; an outer one will be wet and possibly the bellows will have got wet while you were packing up.

It boils down to personal preference, like manual v DSG, Beach v Ocean, 204 v 150bhp, etc etc :D
I don't take the Topper off until the roof Is down.. Check inside that the canvas is folding properly and outside that the Topper is clear of the edge.

I just give it a good shake and roughly fold it up inside to inside and stuff it in the bag. If being used constantly then the bag stays in the back when travelling. When home then peg it on a line in the shed and then fold it up properly and replace in tailgate. In winter if rain is not forecast then we don't use it.
Had to take the cover off in the rain recently, we folded it as best we could but when we got home and unpacked unfortunately one of the windows has a small crack where it must have creased badly. I do like the windows for the light but without might be better for packing away quickly.

Plus one for the internal Cozi. Much less faffing than the external one if you are only spending a few nights in the van while touring. Whilst the external one will keep the canvas drier it will still be damp because the air is humid so will need drying out at some stage. Not much fun either putting on/taking off the external one if it's raining. The internal one in our experience of winter nights keeps the top warmer than the external. Darker at night as well in summer and makes the inside of the van lighter in the day as it is a lighter colour than the canvas.

Back