Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New beach privacy glass anything but! here's a £31.99 Fix!

WillSS

WillSS

2 seater beach
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, we've just joined the Beach (2-seater) fraternity having come from a 2012 SE.
Somewhat nervous in the painfully long run up to taking collection as to whether we've done the right thing or should we be buying 2nd hand, (first new vehicle), but absolutely no regrets now its here.
It has already proved to suit us so much more than the SE/Ocean. Less weight, more space/practicality and storing bikes inside being a major consideration.

Only disappointments of note... Privacy glass is lacking on the privacy front. The dealer assured us the grade of tint hasn't got lighter since our SE days so maybe its just the lack of the cupboard that makes it appear so light. Really no good for security/changing purposes. He suggested their tinting guy at a cost of £220 + vat.

Before going ahead a quick scan on FleaBay revealed the following... Full pre-cut California T6 set for £31.99 delivered!

s-l200.jpg

Look at this on eBay
VW T6 California 2016-Current Pre Cut Window Tint / Window Film / Limo

At that price i didn't mind lining my bin with them if it didn't work so for comedy reasons thought id give it a go!
You get to choose your tint level, I went for the 20% film. (one down from full limo).
Perfect for us, not too dark inside but you have to get really close outside to work out shapes inside.
Kit is supplied assuming you have the sliding windows on both sides (as in the Ocean) so if you didn't opt for the extra window on the Beach then you'll need to tell them to send out a fixed glass piece.
Perfect fit no trimming required and honestly look just as good as my car that had after market tints applied.
Their website has full videos detailing the instal process and really was surprisingly straightforward though the rear window is definitely more tricky as you have to heat the film to take the shape before installing.

Might be worth a go if you're practically minded though you do need to seriously question your logic of saving a few hundred £'s when you've just spent over £40K!!!

Anyhow, before....

75184FD7-8E80-4682-A71F-922847253ECE.jpeg

B7C3FD50-F282-44EF-B482-7972D963EE0F.jpeg

56E270D5-7E5E-4017-AFA6-F605DA60C425.jpeg

and after...

8CE126A9-07E4-41BB-89A8-EE5ADE3D4A37.jpeg

DDC41BDA-322C-4B6A-88B7-04B4B61B6753.jpeg

C965C1CF-96A6-46B1-8EA0-0A867393A438.jpeg

Sorting out that saggy rear end next....

Last edited:
Has it made the inside darker...?

I love this forum!!!

Will SS - that is a great post - thank you!!!

I just had to go check our March 2017 Indium Grey 3 seater bench and, like yours, our 'privacy' tints are quite light. So, I'm very tempted to buy and apply these, but how does it affect the view of the rear seat passengers, view out back windscreen in rear view mirro etc? It must make the inside darker, and give a dark view of the outside world too, but to what degree? Are these easy to fit? I find putting cover on iPhones hard enough to do without getting bubbles and dust under the screen!!!!

On a separate note, would it be ok to come and camp on your drive when you are off on hols, as the setting looks lovely!!!! ;);););)

Cheers
Ian

I love this forum!!!

Will SS - that is a great post - thank you!!!

I just had to go check our March 2017 Indium Grey 3 seater bench and, like yours, our 'privacy' tints are quite light. So, I'm very tempted to buy and apply these, but how does it affect the view of the rear seat passengers, view out back windscreen in rear view mirro etc? It must make the inside darker, and give a dark view of the outside world too, but to what degree? Are these easy to fit? I find putting cover on iPhones hard enough to do without getting bubbles and dust under the screen!!!!

On a separate note, would it be ok to come and camp on your drive when you are off on hols, as the setting looks lovely!!!! ;);););)

Cheers
Ian

I'd say its easier than iPhone covers because you've got water involved. Well the sides are at least. After cleaning, spray both sides of the film and the glass and put it roughly on. Then slide it around into position before 'squeegeeing' all the water out from centre to outside. Simples...
Look at the video in the link. Back screen definitely more 'interesting' as you need to heat and mould it to the back screen before applying. If you are willing to blow a whole £32 then I'd strongly recommend paying for an extra rear screen film, that way you can practice first. Clearly a bit of trial and error knowing how much heat the film can take if you've never done it before (like myself). And grab your oven gloves so you don't fry your hand.
The liquid 'solution' they refer to in their clip is just water with a squirt of washing up liquid.

Obviously gets a little darker inside but I wouldn't say gloomy. (i went one down from full Limo so I guess a bit like wearing weak sunglasses?)
Very difficult to photograph but these irrelevant 'upholstery' shots give a fairly accurate idea. Bright sunny day, compare the brightness out of the front compared to the 'duller' sides/rear.
Cant recommend camping on my driveway, owner's a right miserable sod and charges a fortune.

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0171.JPG

Back