Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali - Heater won't work

Hmm, I'm quite curious about all these 'heater not working' threads.
Whilst waiting in a car park tonight for our chinese takeaway and the cali cooled inside a little light bulb went on in my head.
Great time to test the heater me thinks......
So flicked on the heater on the control panel and a tiny noise that sounded like a fan started up behind the dash somewhere and a dribble of cold air ran through the B pillar vent. After a short while I thought it must just need turning up so I increased to number 10. No change.....
Tried this a few times and after a series of on/off's and temperature fiddles I was disappointed that there was no burst of heat rushing into the Cali.
After finishing the Chinese I grabbed the heater remote and the manuals and planted myself in the rear quaters. I hit the button on the remote and a similar thing happened.
Orange light on the icon on the console and a dribble of cold air with a quiet noise from behind the dash.
But then within a couple of minutes there was something more mechanical going on from the front like a dull gentle thud every 2 seconds or so.
Next a light tick could be heard through the vent from somewhere further down the system.
Then woosh!!! the air flow increased, a warmth could be felt.
So I sat there and revelled in the success for 20 minutes but I quickly had to reduce the temperature from the 7 it happened on down to 3 and it was still cooking me :thumb.

So now to find out whether it was my impatience when waiting for the chinese or whether the remote is triggering something the console operation isn't? highly unlikely I'd have thought.
I guess I just got through a lack of understanding but I will check.

So 2 things...
If it goes sweetly from now on could some of these threads just be early panic?
and
Can you control the temperature from the remote?

Hmm, I'm quite curious about all these 'heater not working' threads.
Whilst waiting in a car park tonight for our chinese takeaway and the cali cooled inside a little light bulb went on in my head.
Great time to test the heater me thinks......
So flicked on the heater on the control panel and a tiny noise that sounded like a fan started up behind the dash somewhere and a dribble of cold air ran through the B pillar vent. After a short while I thought it must just need turning up so I increased to number 10. No change.....
Tried this a few times and after a series of on/off's and temperature fiddles I was disappointed that there was no burst of heat rushing into the Cali.
After finishing the Chinese I grabbed the heater remote and the manuals and planted myself in the rear quaters. I hit the button on the remote and a similar thing happened.
Orange light on the icon on the console and a dribble of cold air with a quiet noise from behind the dash.
But then within a couple of minutes there was something more mechanical going on from the front like a dull gentle thud every 2 seconds or so.
Next a light tick could be heard through the vent from somewhere further down the system.
Then woosh!!! the air flow increased, a warmth could be felt.
So I sat there and revelled in the success for 20 minutes but I quickly had to reduce the temperature from the 7 it happened on down to 3 and it was still cooking me :thumb.

So now to find out whether it was my impatience when waiting for the chinese or whether the remote is triggering something the console operation isn't? highly unlikely I'd have thought.
I guess I just got through a lack of understanding but I will check.

So 2 things...
If it goes sweetly from now on could some of these threads just be early panic?
and
Can you control the temperature from the remote?
Could be, and you cannot Control the temperature setting from the Remote.
If you use the Remote it will come on at the last Temperature setting used.
If you switch the Control Panel Off using the L lower button then the Temperature setting is reset to Level 7 On Switch On.

Thanks for the info WG!!!
I am impressed with its power.

Thanks for the info WG!!!
I am impressed with its power.
I don’t know if they fire it up in the Factory. The Dealer certainly doesn’t as part of the PDI.
So first time use might be slow, charging the fuel lines, Glowplug activation, Ignition and only then does the fan speed up to warm up to the initial setting.
Remember, fire it up for at least 30 minutes monthly throughout the year.

The guy that installed mine impressed on me that it's not instant heat. He said people complain to him...

I can confirm mine worked from the console as well.
It looks like I was expecting things to happen too quickly while waiting for my food.

Back