Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Ocean is on its way!

A

ALTYGEZZER555

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The wife and I are new to touring and are expecting our new Cali Ocean to be delivered this month after a 12month wait! I want to ask if I should be thinking of buying a clamp-on steering lock or whether I will be able to rely on the manufacturers vehicle security features as they are? I would be grateful for your advice/recommendations.

We ummed and ahhd about this having read reviews on line) and decided to rely on insurance and sensible parking for our new Cali (picked up in July). If it happens, it happens. I imagine thieves won’t stop at a steering lock. Our neighbours where we used to live had thieves knock on their door and demand keys for an Audi at knifepoint. No one is going to stand and argue! We talked to our supplier (Eurovans Crawley) and they didn’t it was required. Our insurers didn’t require one either.

The less stuff you can take the better. We're happy relying on our insurance

We ummed and ahhd about this having read reviews on line) and decided to rely on insurance and sensible parking for our new Cali (picked up in July). If it happens, it happens. I imagine thieves won’t stop at a steering lock. Our neighbours where we used to live had thieves knock on their door and demand keys for an Audi at knifepoint. No one is going to stand and argue! We talked to our supplier (Eurovans Crawley) and they didn’t it was required. Our insurers didn’t require one either.
Thanks that is appreciated. I take your comments on board.

The less stuff you can take the better. We're happy relying on our insurance
Yes I was thinking how bulky these locks are. I will probably take your advice. Thanks

Numerous posts on this if you do a search. IMHO - don't bother. Your Cali can only be stolen if they have/steal the keys or lift it onto a low loader. For the former, keep them safe, for the latter, no defence and about as likely to happen as an unlikely thing that is unlikely.

Most stories of "I know someone who had their van stolen" are talking about vans from before Thatcham standards, or making it up/repeating someone else's story as their own (who also made it up).

For insurance we found some quite picky because of the overall van cost - even the fabled Comfort, who were asking for a lot of money AND a tracker. We ended up with LV - full cover, two car policy with our Tiguan and 1/3 the Comfort price.

*Note - I have no issues with those who fit disk locks etc for their own peace of mind and to avoid thickheads smashing a window because they think they could steal it with two bits of wire and a screwdriver.

Numerous posts on this if you do a search. IMHO - don't bother. Your Cali can only be stolen if they have/steal the keys or lift it onto a low loader. For the former, keep them safe, for the latter, no defence and about as likely to happen as an unlikely thing that is unlikely.

Most stories of "I know someone who had their van stolen" are talking about vans from before Thatcham standards, or making it up/repeating someone else's story as their own (who also made it up).

For insurance we found some quite picky because of the overall van cost - even the fabled Comfort, who were asking for a lot of money AND a tracker. We ended up with LV - full cover, two car policy with our Tiguan and 1/3 the Comfort price.

*Note - I have no issues with those who fit disk locks etc for their own peace of mind and to avoid thickheads smashing a window because they think they could steal it with two bits of wire and a screwdriver.
I'll second LV, and give kudos for the use of 'thickheads'. I haven't heard that for years...:thumb

That all makes good sense thanks. I wasn't sure what course to take but I do now thanks!

I have a Stoplock in my cali stash in the garage, awaiting a van to fit it on. I see it as an added deterrent, not a necessity or specified by an insurance company, but gives me piece of mind.

One thing I have stop doing is hanging my car keys by the front door, just in case anybody breaks in hoping to grab the keys, now stored in a more discreet location in the house.

@tr7 driver our neighbours who had the knifepoint visit for their Audi had their keys separately located. The owners had to go and get them or….So, I don’t think it makes a lot of difference if they are determined to get a vehicle. Eurovans told us the latest trick is to just load the vehicle into a transporter lorry.