Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Roof Topper & Awning Side Panels - Now Available

Re: New Cali Roof Topper & Awning Side Panels - Now Availabl

I've just received my Cali Topper, and it's clearly very well made. But has anyone managed to fold it down and get it in the tailgate WITH a camping chair? :?:

Got my full awning set with door and windows. It is fab - just what I have been looking for. The huge bonus is that all three separate parts fit in between the chairs in the tailgate.
Have a quechua base seconds xl for proper summer camping trip of more than 2 nights - but what to do about those 1 to 2 nights away when a wind break is not enough - now have the answer.
Really, really easy to put up and folds nice and flat.
Table and 4 chairs fit in v nicely too.
Will take some photos when it stops sleeting/raining,snowing...

Looking at the weather for our forthcoming week away I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about so I placed an order with Nick for the Cali Topper with windows. :thumb

As ever Nick worked hard to get the Topper to me ASAP and the quality looks excellent, we've not tried to fit it yet though so that could be a giggle for and nearby onlookers :laugh2

Hi all! I have the Topper and 3 panel set also, and have managed to fit the Topper in between one of the tailgate seats, but it is a push. Better not to force things and then break them I say. Also I'd rather fit the three panels in there...they fit easily and put the Topper in the boot or in the locker draw in the bench seat. Sure with refolding or with care the Topper would go in though. Great to see more and more folk enjoying the Topper and sides!

:cool :cool

Just ordered my Topper and looking forward to trying it out. :clap

SHEARER said:
Just ordered my Topper and looking forward to trying it out. :clap

Cool think you might need it with the great British weather :thumb :thumb

Just ordered a topper with windows! Whoo hoo!!!

We've also ordered a Kyham Motordome Sleeper too...as they are back in stock for delivery 2nd week of April - if anybody is looking for one!

Very tempted by the side panels and topper with windows, but wonder if there are any plans to offer them in some other colour than heat-absorbing black?

GeoffB said:
Very tempted by the side panels and topper with windows, but wonder if there are any plans to offer them in some other colour than heat-absorbing black?

Geoff ... Hopefully you'll not be needing the topper when the heat comes ,as you will want to use the Cali's opening windows in the roof :)

choplee said:
GeoffB said:

Geoff ... Hopefully you'll not be needing the topper when the heat comes ,as you will want to use the Cali's opening windows in the roof :)

Yes, wasn't thinking about the top and heat, just the sides really. Heat retention could be an advantage when you need a topper! Grey would be nice to match our silver awning.

I think they all are good value for money Geoff compared to the prices of similar products ,as I have brandrup awning sides and work out a lot more money and work slightly differently in their use ..

Hi Geoff,

We can always make you a custom set in grey :mrgreen: we've had quite a few customers order the grey variant - SimoninSpain is very happy with his! We have to manufacture one to order though so if you don't mind waiting approx a week from order we can soon put one together for you. Just drop me a message over and I can pop so photo's across to you.

:thanks
Nick

comfortz said:
Hi Geoff,

We can always make you a custom set in grey :mrgreen: we've had quite a few customers order the grey variant - SimoninSpain is very happy with his! We have to manufacture one to order though so if you don't mind waiting approx a week from order we can soon put one together for you. Just drop me a message over and I can pop so photo's across to you.

Nick

Nice one nick ..:)
Custom made to order .. Now you don't get that service for that price anywhere else ....
:)

Well I'm the first to admit to being sceptical about the requirement for these type of extras however I took a look at the favourable reports of the item Nick makes, the Cali Topper, and thought for the price and compared to other similar items it was worth a shot.

I spoke to Nick and he sorted me out in near record time and in time for our current trip to Europe.

We stopped over night in Kent on Friday prior to getting on the tunnel yesterday morning. I didn't fit the topper as we had a very early start and I w anted to be away swiftly. It was lovely and warm downstairs in the van but we sleep upstairs and it was a little nippy. We were haemorrhaging heat out of the roof.

Last night we rigged the topper for the first time and straight away we could notice the difference. A good nights sleep and nice and very warm, imagine our surprise when we woke this morning -

image.jpg

Blimey Stu, what a surprise! A topper definitely helps when it's a bit parky.
When not using it in cold weather we've woken up covered in condensation! I really like the fastenings on the Cali topper- loads simpler than a kador strip- easier to remove in the snow I suspect:)

Haha....what a great great pic and good to see you were as impressed as I over the Cali Topper! We have just got back from a great trip to Germany from Granada in Southern Spain, and I did use the Topper, but it was in a French service area so I didn't take any pics! :headbang :headbang How dumb, as it was great at insulating the sound of trucks etc. also aswell as keeping us nice and warm.
Was minus 13 near Cologne and I am embarrassed to say we didn't sleep in the Cali, but inly because our family had booked some apartments for us all :oops: :oops: . I did want to sleep in the Cali and every time i went to check it...and kiss it goodnight... :lol: :lol: ...it seems=ed nice and cosy inside and not freezing. The side door managed to freeze itself stuck too!

Oh and yes, I have the side panels in the grey as it get pretty hot here in summer. They look great too with the Topper in black and a silver Cali! Super happy with them!

:hello :cool

comfortz said:
Hi Geoff,

Nick

Thank you Nick! Grey would look good with the silver Cali, will be in touch.

Cali Topper and side awning panels are now available in both black and grey.

Hi Everyone,

I have a chap in Germany with a California Beach asking me if the standard Cali-Topper will fit his Beach :?:
He seems to think that the manual roof in his beach is a different size (Lifts higher) than the power roof in the California. Does anyone know if this is correct?

:help

Cheers
Nick

Not sure, but I thought roof height differences were due to year changes rather than model...ie pre-facelift is different to new Cali's.

This is certainly possible, as I have had problems with my Khyam Kozi Kamper on my Beach. Khyam are currently investigating this.... But I think the beach roof may be an inch or two longer.

Hi Folks,

I've spoken to a couple of customers today who have ordered Cali-Toppers for their Beach's.
Just to confirm the standard Cali-Topper does not fit the Beach. If anyone has purchased a Cali-Topper and has a Beach, please do not attempt to fit it. Contact me on 01246 825873 so I can arrange collection and a refund. I'm visiting a customer on Thursday to get the revised measurements for the Beach's roof, so a Beach specific Cali-Topper will be available very shortly. :thumb

Nick

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update on some additional attachments for the Cali-Topper.
One of our customers reported back that they had opted for a drive away awning rather than the role out awning. As a result the normal Cali awning rail/channel had a Kador strip attachment - completely filling it - rendering the aluminum attachments useless. So we came up with a couple of attachments so they could still use the Cali-Topper.
The pictures are attached below. The attachments will be special order only so please contact us directly if you'd like to order them with your Cali-Topper.
Nick

Kador attachment
KadorStrip_zps5dc5f522.jpg

Original Fixings
OriginalFixing_zps9312be57.jpg

Amended Fixings
UpdatedFixing_1_zpsbb0f3cc7.jpg

Amended Fixings
UpdatedFixing_2_zpsd14e4b79.jpg

Hi Nick
We eventually tested our Cali Topper and it fits and works perfectly.

Just one thing: I can't stove it with chairs in the tail gate, do you really think there's room enough?
Do you have a special trick to do it?

Just received a two side panel set in grey ('long' side and one 'short' side) and I'm very impressed. They arrived almost by return of post, quick work! For a start, the material suits my silver Cali and my silver awning perfectly. They fit on easily - I did both myself, then took them off and asked my wife to fit them; no problem at all for either of us. They are sturdy and can be fixed to the ground with the tent-pegs and toggles provided - they would have come in very useful in the Italian Alps last year when we were deluged during a thunderstorm, and they will certainly be accompanying us this year. They come in a nice velco-sealed bag, containing the pegs and toggles in a smaller velcroed bag. I personally wouldn't put them in the tail-gate, as we don't use the downstairs bed they'll be going there for quick access. We are really pleased with them, thanks Nick for making us a set in grey! :cool

PS Just realized there's a review section so have copied this there too. I've left it here in case idiots like me haven't worked out there's a review section either!