Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Roof Topper & Awning Side Panels - Now Available

Re: New Cali Roof Topper & Awning Side Panels - Now Availabl

Great pic's simon :thumb top looking set up there :thumb

Thanks!

I didn't want all black or all silver, so I think the combo. looks great with the silver paintowrk. Silver side panels are more likely to reflect the heat we get here in the summer too! I'm rather happy with the Cali and the quality extras I am adding....as you can probably tell! :cool

I thought I would post a couple of photos of our new Cali Topper on WITH roofbars. Whilst it is not a perfect fit, IMO it is absolutely fine and when we were away between Christmas and New Year, all was cosy! The bungees didn't feel too tight etc. either.

Certainly preferable to removing and replacing the bars whenever we want to use the topper.

Happy New Year!

Dom.

cali topper 1.jpg

And here from the back...

cali topper 2.jpg

Great to know that as I was thinking at some point I'll get roof bars. Looks like it's still works fine! :goodone

:help I am interested in the Cali Roof Topper for my California. Is there any news regarding pre 2007 models? My car is a 2006 and has no front windows in the pop-up roof. I heard that it is about 2-3 inches in difference between the 2007 and earlier models... but is it higher or lower? I suppose if the 2007 models is 2-3 inches higher, there will be a gap between the car and the Cali Topper?

If it works fine on pre 2007 models i will order a Cali Topper without windows.

BTW..... What is the shipping costs for sending the Cali Topper to Norway?

Hi! I bet if you ask them they could do one with just the 2 side windows, if you wanted more light in the van. The plastic for the windows is as thick as the actual material, so it has the same properties I would think. Just encase you wanted windows!
Not sure if the Cali roof is higher or lower on your model, sorry. Just got into Cali's!....and am I glad I did! :D :cool

:thanks
Hi Folks, thanks for all the great reviews, and its good to see that the std Cali-topper fits over the roof bars :D :D , although we’re planning to manufacture a Cali-topper which caters for the roof bars over the next month.

With regards to the pre 2007 models, is there anyone in our area (Chesterfield - M1 Junc 29a) with a pre 2007 model that would be willing to have a drive over for a measure up? I’d be happy to discount a prototype to anybody that would be willing to help!
Just PM if you’re interested.

:D :D Simon – Thanks for the pictures they look Fab!!!! :D :D

Ditto to la-th's comments as mine is also a 2006 model. Unfortunately I live on the Sussex coast. Hope somebody who is closer to Comfortz can help with his request?

This is a question for Comfortz / Cali Topper re the roof cover. I agree that it looks a great fit without the roof bars fitted but not so good over the roof bars. You say you are thinking about making one to fit over roof bars. My question is (as someone who has roof bars but not always used) could you possibly make one that fits both. ie looks as good as in the standard ones shown here on this website without roof bars AND also a much better looking fit than the recent picture posted showing the standard Cali Topper STRETCHED over the roof ?
I know it's sounds like a bit of a tall order.
:idea:
I thinking one way could be two 'skirts' the main one for normal use and a smaller pull out/fold out one to accomodate the bungee ties when roof bars are fitted.
:idea:
Another way to go might be to have slits on the roof cover for the bars to poke through and two small roof bar size covers to fit over fixed by velcro, zips or sewn in magnetic strips or a combination of all three or some other method that I can't think of yet.(my brain hurts. Your turn).
The other alternative would be two Cali Toppers which would be silly :crazy
Something for you to think about ? I'll watch this space.
Happy new year to all on the forum.
Cheers
Eric

Hi Eric,

You have some interesting Ideas! :goodone Leave it with me and I'll see what I can come up with.

comfortz said:
Hi Eric,

You have some interesting Ideas! :goodone Leave it with me and I'll see what I can come up with.

ROOF BARS and the CALI TOPPER
Just a thought though for Comfortz re my last post. Having never fitted my 'inherited' roof bars beacause I took them off for various 'headroom' situations. I'm not sure if they have fixed distances from the front or back of the van roof or from each other in which case, if they can be fitted anywhere along the roof, a consensus of opinion would be needed for the optimum position of the 'slits' in the Cali Topper cover to accomodate them. If that was the way you intended to go with a re-modelled Cali Topper that is.

Hi to all now that all the festivities are over....well here, no as the 6th Jan is when the kids get their pressies!! When it all end??? :crazy :crazy

A quick idea at how you can fold the Cali Topper once you've opened it the first time. I did worry when I was opening up that it would never ever go back in that tiny bag again....but it did with no problem. Trick is to make sure after folding the sides into a rectangle, any fold has to be same...or slightly smaller than the bag dims....or it just can't fit! :D :D

Panels if you buy them like I did, are the same, and squeeze air out like you would with folding any waterproof gear!

:cool :hello

Cali_Topper_Folding idea!jpg.jpg

I have a 2006 VW California, but ordered a Cali Topper today anyway. I found the measurements for a similar product, Camper Cozi for the model 2007 and on. I then measured my pop-up and found that it was the same measures. I cant see that it shouldnt fit, so i will take the chance.... :? Anybody else tried the 2007 Cali Topper on a 2006 or earlier model?

hi la-th we are working on an exact fit for the pre 2007 model i believe it is 10 cm higher
if you are not happy with the fit we would be more than happy to exchange it at a later date
let us know what you think

I got my new Cali-Topper today. I was quite exited as the Cali-Topper is made for 2007 and newer models, and my Cali is a 2006.

When the opper was all in place and all bungee ball loops was fastened it seemed to be quite ok.
In the front everything was fine. The Cali-Topper covered the pop-up roof completely. On the sides it was a gap of approx 2 centimeters down to the roof, and on the rear it was a gap of approx 4 centimeters.

I am sure it will cover well from rain, but my big question is how it will isolate the penthouse of the car. I will find out when I am going up in the mountains this weekend to test it. It will be temperatures around 10-15 degrees below zero. Will it be ok, or will it work like a fridge storing cold air between the pop-up roof and the Cali-Topper? Time will show :)

I added some pictures for you to see how it looks like from all angles......

[album]519[/album][album]520[/album][album]523[/album][album]522[/album][album]521[/album]

Is it possible to make the side panels with 'windows' in them? Like the windows in the topper - but square?

I think they are doing a side panel...the large one that is parallel to the Cali, with a window in and a 3rd side panel with door is on it's way very soon....I hope so as I want to close myself in from the elements and have the two panel set now! Great fit and super quick to put on, literally about a minute to close in the awning from sun or rain! :cool

That would be a perfect set - 1 side panel solid, one with door and front panel with window. Think they would be very popular given the debates we all keep having about drive away, stand alone awnings - and what do we do for just a picnic or one/two nights away when an awning is just too much hassle.
Can I buy a set now!

Side panels with Windows and doors are virtually ready for release, we should have some more information very soon, please contact Nick via our website for more information.

Please also keep your idea's coming on anything else, we read all your posts.

Hi folks,
Just a quick update on the full awning pack (all three sides) they're a pretty much ready for release, in fact we've taken orders for several this week :D I've been waiting for the snow to disappear to take some pictures / video - only for the strong winds to come in! :headbang So once the weather improves I'll get some pictures uploaded. And if anyone has the aftermarket Fiamma 2.5m awning fitted, don't worry, we can provide an awning set for these awnings too, special order only though so just drop a message :thumb

Nick

Just an update one the side panels with windows. These are now available and come as a pack:

1 x Side Panel (without Window)
1 x Front Panel ( With Window)
1 x Side Panel with door opening

This is an excellent alternative to a full drive away awning and best of all it can be set up in under 10 minutes !! Great way to double your living area and give extra privacy.

The Price for the whole pack is £350 inclusive

This item is not on the website yet but can still be ordered from us direct.

Also we currently have a Cali-Topper in development that can be used with roof bars, we will have more information on this in the Spring but please feel free to register your interest.