Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California or Bilbo Celex ?

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi I am new to this site and I would like opinions Should I go for a new California or go for a conversion from Bilbo Celex? or some other van re builder?
I went to the show at NEC and I had a look at all the conversions.
The only think I dont like about the California is the fridge top loader ?
Conversions have a better one but I dont like the poor trim less cheap look around the windows
The California looks far superior
I also get a bit confused whats in the California that you have to get as extras in the Celex ?
Any help would be appreciated and also where is the best deal ? And what amount can you expect to negotiate off a new one with no part ex
Kind regards Ray

California, no contest. The Bilbo is over priced and under specc'd. If you remain unconvinced then ignore the furniture for a moment and review the van specification.

Definitely the Cali. I went through a similar process, and when we hired a a Cali from BMVS we were totally convinced - no contest. What finally did it, apart from the obvious quality of the California fittings, was comparing like with like and finding the Cali way ahead in terms of price. Check the basic Celex spec, then cost on the extras that come as standard with the California (eg 140/180 engine, roof bed, diesel heating, alloys etc.). Then also look at somewhere like Drive the Deal to get your baseline....the Celex, although the best of the conversions, looked and felt like one. The Cali did not.

Agree your comment about the fridge though - however, with a front loader you wouldn't be able to move the bench seat forward and back which is a huge benefit in terms of flexibility and overall spaciousness.

Hi
I would have a top loading fridge anyday although sometimes a bit awkward to load, a front loader you would always be on your hands and knees looking for anything at the back where as a top loader you can easily look into.
dave and lisa :thumb

I looked long and hard at the Celex. It wins hands down as far as I'm concerned of all the conversions and I came close to buying one in September.

What finally persuaded me to go for the cali was the quality of the fitments, the integration of the electrics into one central panel (the celex felt bitty with add-on control panels), the bed ... and that fridge!

Firstly you can get a large bottle in that fridge, secondly you can open it without having to move bed, porta-loo, sleeping dog, pile of wet clothes or whatever out of the way.

Finally, as I recount in another thread, who do you go to when something belonging to the conversion fails? At least with VW then the nearest VW cali dealer can fix it, you do not have to trundle half way across the country to get something fixed as I had to do with one motorhome conversion that I had.

we spent ags at Bilbos..i hated the roof bed..it was just weird..cali one is so much better designed..and robust
also agree re the fridge..spent years scrabbling about on my knees in our T2..LOVE the cali one now

I think we are slightly biased on this California forum if I'm honest :) lol

Calis start with a much better base van, everything is properly covered under warranty, they aren't plastered in silly stickers and seem to cost a lot less. And then lose less money when you sell them.

Stu actually raised the point that is least discussed with conversions. That is the base van itself.

The Beach is based on a Startline Multivan so that's a basic T5. You can tell by the door cards. I enjoy my Beach and I've driven hundreds of miles quite happily.

The full Cali is based on a Comfortline Multivan. I've driven one of those and it is much more refined than my Beach. It's not as nimble and you feel the weight but it feels more solid and more refined when it's crushing.

You are only getting a base van no matter how many options you put on it. That may not matter but if I was doing long drives I'd really appreciate that refinement.

James

What exactly is this extra refinement James?
Is it better sound deadening, uprated suspension etc?
Just wondered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

When Bilbos were converting T4s didn't they have an arrangement with VW to base them on the 'motorhome chassis'? The nose was certainly different to the window or panel vans other converters were using and more like the Caravelle. Not sure if that arrangement carried on to the T5s.

i too looked at bilbos

but most things are much better in cali, i m o

Freeley said:
What exactly is this extra refinement James?
Is it better sound deadening, uprated suspension etc?
Just wondered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

My guess is sound deadening - I also suspect the extra weight actually helped. It just felt quieter and more refined. Bearing in mind I was driving a 140 with a 6 speed as opposed to my 115 Beach with 5 speed.

The doors have a nice thunk to them as well. If you were buying in Germany you'd also get the Multivan Dash as well.

It's probably my imagination. Check the door cards though on a full Cali

James

We to looked at a Bilbo but did the van base vehicle equation and the Cali wins hands down. Value was the major reason that swayed my good lady wife that the Cali was the one for us. (She is an accountant after all.) The value for money that you get when you compare like for like on the base vehicle is a no brainer. And the argument that you can have what you want in a conversion is no argument as most people would tend to by a conversion that has been designed by somebody else ie a Bilbo or similar.

No it's a Cali all the way for us! :thumb

Cheers

Titch

Re Fridge,
As an ex, now retired fridge engineer with electrolux for 25 years, a top loading fridge wins hands down. What happens when you open the door of any fridge? cold air drops out at the bottom warm rushes in fridge at top and fridge starts working using energy! Top loaders cold air stays in, less energy used. Compare it to an upright freezer or a chest freezer.
John

choplee said:
I think we are slightly biased on this California forum if I'm honest :) lol

Goodness, I cannot eveen begin to think that bias may creep in :?

...also if it wasn't a top loader, all my beer would fall out on opening it when I've made a particluarly bad hashup of trying to level the van...

Hands Up!!! I submit!!!!!!! ,I ordered a new one today I have gone for the 140 6 speed box
17" wheels although I like the look of the 20's?
Sand beige
Blue tooth
Awning
Reversing sensors
Not bothered about the sat nav thing will use Tom Tom
Anything I have missed I ought to have ?
Thanks to you all :D

Here I come >>>>>>

MidgleyVW said:
Hands Up!!! I submit!!!!!!! ,I ordered a new one today I have gone for the 140 6 speed box
Sand beige
Blue tooth
Awning
Reversing sensors

Here I come >>>>>>

Privacy Glass a must.

Andy

Andy80F said:
MidgleyVW said:
Sand beige
Blue tooth
Awning
Reversing sensors

Here I come >>>>>>

Privacy Glass a must.

Andy

Yep, you'll kick yourself if you don't.

and when you do kick yourself - if it is in the back of the Cali - everyone will be able to see you :)

owen_h said:
When Bilbos were converting T4s didn't they have an arrangement with VW to base them on the 'motorhome chassis'? The nose was certainly different to the window or panel vans other converters were using and more like the Caravelle. Not sure if that arrangement carried on to the T5s.

Yes, they and a couple of other converters are supplied with special motorhome van bases, that aren't available to all.
Regarding warranty work on the conversion/habitation equipment, I believe Bilbos will allow the work to be carried out at a caravan dealer and refund the agreed cost. Mechanical equip etc covered by any VW garage.

Hubert

+1 for privacy glass. 5th seat also much cheaper to order new & aids resale IMO

Having owned a Bilbo Celex and recently bought a Cali I'm in a uniquely favourable position to pass comment on both vans...So here goes..
Plus for Bilbo;
Oven, Grill and freezer compartment in van
Fittings seem more robust
The small side picnic table is really useful.... especially for lunch stops/preparing food outside of the van
Fire extinguish
Roof manual raising (less to go wrong)
A Safe that you can trust
Bigger bed!!
Negatives;
Its a conversion therefore rattles bit more
The price comparison with similar specced Cali
The side raising pop up roof doesn't seem to give as much space as the Cali version
Roof manual raising therefore you have to lift it
Carrying chairs and outside table in the boot
Seats don't slide

In the end it is finally balanced in favour of the Cali... but I have my very nice Bilbo Celex T5 for sale if anyones interested! its in the used van section of this Site... or contact me...

Back