Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Engine?

jaynesal

jaynesal

VIP Member
I have just been told by my Authorised VW garage, where my beautiful Cali 2.0 dti diesel has always been serviced, that it probably needs a new engine. It has only done 58000 miles, been carefully drive and lovingly looked after. Since it’s last service some 2000 miles ago I have been having to keep topping the oil up. There are no visual signs of a leak and the garage want to do a diagnostic test, they suspect I need a new engine. I have said no to this and am seeking s second opinion. It is six years old and no extended warranty. Has anyone else had this happen? I’m gutted.

What a bummer. What model year/engine (ie 140 or 180bhp, assuming it's a T5)?

Sorry to hear this, if like others you may have a big fight on your hands with Volkswagen, it would be useful to know what model your van is as nothing is showing on your profile

I have just been told by my Authorised VW garage, where my beautiful Cali 2.0 dti diesel has always been serviced, that it probably needs a new engine. It has only done 58000 miles, been carefully drive and lovingly looked after. Since it’s last service some 2000 miles ago I have been having to keep topping the oil up. There are no visual signs of a leak and the garage want to do a diagnostic test, they suspect I need a new engine. I have said no to this and am seeking s second opinion. It is six years old and no extended warranty. Has anyone else had this happen? I’m gutted.
I presume you have a 180 BiTurbo manufactured between 2010 - 2011.
There was a manufacturing problem with this engine apparently resolved from Model Year 2012. The problem of excessive Oil Consumption at about 60,000 miles is well documented. Not All such engines were affected and there are other theories on the Internet.
VW have a Technical Note regarding what to do about such engines ie: replacing it.
Unfortunately this is the only realistic repair, but in order to do this you have to have various tests carried out. VW may be difficult to get them to cough up but if you have a VW Service History and a good and supportive Dealership - well some people have had virtually the full cost paid by VW, but others have not.

Hi. Oh that's not good, thanks for all your comments, but I was hoping for something a little more hopeful! Yes, it is a SE TDI 180 Deisel. 2012 - apparently problems NOT resolved. I will read up all the the issues that have been previously posted and get plan my attack!
Thanks Sally

Hi. Oh that's not good, thanks for all your comments, but I was hoping for something a little more hopeful! Yes, it is a SE TDI 180 Deisel. 2012 - apparently problems NOT resolved. I will read up all the the issues that have been previously posted and get plan my attack!
Thanks Sally
2 thoughts :
1) There is a chance your van was manufactured much earlier than the registration date in 2012, and could fall into WelshGas's statement.
2) Not everyone is convinced that the problem is confined to those early years, but having an later version egr valve ending in '/d' is regarded by many as a big step forward in preventing the internals of the valve disintegrating and finding themselves inside the combustion chambers.
There is a Facebook group of those impacted (and many 'worried well') that details many attempts to get big contributions from vw, where the vans have had full vw service history.

What price have they quoted for the new engine? I suspect you will get some goodwill as well.

Thanks Sally
As stated above, don’t confuse 1st Registration date with Manufacturing Date.

As stated above, don’t confuse 1st Registration date with Manufacturing Date.
Any idea of how to find manufacturing date? Model Year seems to be the tenth character of the VIN, but I can't see any reference to date of manufacturing.

Any idea of how to find manufacturing date? Model Year seems to be the tenth character of the VIN, but I can't see any reference to date of manufacturing.
Not sure, I’m afraid. But vehicle and engine manufacturing date may be/will be different.

Depending on how this pans out for you there is a companys that do engine exchange for VWs. If I remember they do 'recondition' engines that have the oil issue and had some warranty with them. This could be a cheaper option if things don't go your way with VWCC.

Go to a friendly dealer's parts department and ask for a 'car data print' of your chassis number. In the top portion of the first page you will find the actual production date.
Use the trade parts counter for best service.

Too common I am afraid to say. My 2011 Caravelle went the same way after I sold it to my brother in law after I sold it to him ! Luckily for him he managed to sell it on.
My friend also has a 2011 Sportline who is using a litre of oil a month but is refusing to accept he has a problem, I am sure I could even smell the oil when he stopped to say hello a couple of weeks ago.
I heard Vw have dropped the price of a replacement engine due to the problems ??

Hi what is the date of your egr cooler ? The fault was not with the engine itself but with an external component failure causing damage to the engine it does not matter how carefully you drive or regular servicing. The date is on the top of your cooler next to the oil filter

I presume you have a 180 BiTurbo manufactured between 2010 - 2011.
There was a manufacturing problem with this engine apparently resolved from Model Year 2012. The problem of excessive Oil Consumption at about 60,000 miles is well documented. Not All such engines were affected and there are other theories on the Internet.
VW have a Technical Note regarding what to do about such engines ie: replacing it.
Unfortunately this is the only realistic repair, but in order to do this you have to have various tests carried out. VW may be difficult to get them to cough up but if you have a VW Service History and a good and supportive Dealership - well some people have had virtually the full cost paid by VW, but others have not.

Hi @WelshGas unfortunately fortunately the problem was not fixed until late 2015 :( so all 180 bi turbo engines to up to that age are effected.

Hi @WelshGas unfortunately fortunately the problem was not fixed until late 2015 :( so all 180 bi turbo engines to up to that age are effected.
Thanks for the heads up. MY 2015 or 2016?
Well I’m on 73,000 miles so far and oil consumption has decreased over the years.
0-20k 1 litre top up
20k-40k 0.75 litre
40k-60k 0.5 litre
60k-73k no top up so far.

So is it the engine or the EGR the cause of the problem, as the Facebook group maintain.

Its Al oxide from the cooler fins based on the extensive reading I have done. Thought long and hard before getting a 204, fins now coated I believe just hope it works. Looks like for some reason you operate outside the range that erodes the fins most likely temperature in my industrial experience.

Its Al oxide from the cooler fins based on the extensive reading I have done. Thought long and hard before getting a 204, fins now coated I believe just hope it works. Looks like for some reason you operate outside the range that erodes the fins most likely temperature in my industrial experience.
The problem might well be the EGR, but not every engine is affected and I cannot find a reason why?
There must be a combination of factors, but what they are, who knows.

Go to a friendly dealer's parts department and ask for a 'car data print' of your chassis number. In the top portion of the first page you will find the actual production date.
Use the trade parts counter for best service.

Wouldn’t the date on the yellow habitation certificate also be a good indicator of production date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. But Im certain VW know and my old outfit would have figured in out as well. In my experience of high temperature corrosion mechanisms the four most common issues are velocity, media composition, component metallurgy, temperature. I would imagine velocity is fixed and metallurgy is also likely fixed so it leaves media and temperature.
The VW fix is metallurgy but media and temperature will still be there as a route cause. My money is still on temperature but it could easily be geographic with fuel composition which tends to be regional.
Normally its high temperature but can equally be the opposite.
Im ex oil industry.

Actually thinking about it. Is velocity fixed as the cooler on the exhaust side could be stuck open with a continual flow and this would be significant vs a cooler that is functioning correctly.

Thanks for the heads up. MY 2015 or 2016?
Well I’m on 73,000 miles so far and oil consumption has decreased over the years.
0-20k 1 litre top up
20k-40k 0.75 litre
40k-60k 0.5 litre
60k-73k no top up so far.

So is it the engine or the EGR the cause of the problem, as the Facebook group maintain.

It’s the egr cooler the cooler itself is made of aluminum and it reacts with the exhaust has as it flows through the chemical reaction turns the aluminum in to aluminum oxide which is then Ingested into the engine via the inlet manifold this metal then coats the bores of the engine reducing the lubrication from the engine and over a period of time the bores are worn down causing oil to bypass the rings and be burnt. The limit of oil consumption is 1ltr per 1000km but this is worked out by a weight calculation. Any egr cooler produced after approximately October 2015 and is

Hi @Legin the cooler on the 204 engine is totally different to the 180 and is actually made of steel so there are no worries with that engine

I can sleep easy now just need to see what junk they have added to get it down to 198 bhp.

It’s the egr cooler the cooler itself is made of aluminum and it reacts with the exhaust has as it flows through the chemical reaction turns the aluminum in to aluminum oxide which is then Ingested into the engine via the inlet manifold this metal then coats the bores of the engine reducing the lubrication from the engine and over a period of time the bores are worn down causing oil to bypass the rings and be burnt. The limit of oil consumption is 1ltr per 1000km but this is worked out by a weight calculation. Any egr cooler produced after approximately October 2015 and is

Hi @Legin the cooler on the 204 engine is totally different to the 180 and is actually made of steel so there are no worries with that engine
So why are some CFCA engines not affected.? Is it driving style?

Back